Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I've been ripping my dvd collection and putting it in to itunes. I just yesterday learned how to add the artwork.

But when i hit get info, then drag the picture in and it shows up, when i press the ok button it freezes for like 3 minutes, with beach ball and itunes not responding. Everything else on my system is fast. Just this one thing is slowing down my work.

If anybody has any recommendations. It would be appreciated.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I know this is old but figured it was better to revive than create a new thread.

I am having this same problem. iTunes runs fine but freezes with beachball for about 3-4 minutes after hitting OK when adding artwork to movies. My setup is '10 Mini 10.6.7 w/ 8GB RAM and latest iTunes update. My Library is on a 2.5 External HD USB powered.

Can anyone give me some help?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's because iTunes is busy finding and downloading artwork. Just give it time to finish. I prefer manually adding artwork that's higher quality than iTunes downloads, using sites like Album Art Exchange or using Google searches.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
It's because iTunes is busy finding and downloading artwork. Just give it time to finish. I prefer manually adding artwork that's higher quality than iTunes downloads, using sites like Album Art Exchange or using Google searches.

No I'm not telling iTunes to find ALL artwork. I am talking about putting artwork in manually as in "Get Info" and go to Artwork page and Paste it in. I usually use MetaX or Identify 2 but on occasion it won't find a movie cover. So I Google Image search find it and paste it in manually. Then when I hit OK is when I get the spinning beachball for a few minutes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No I'm not telling iTunes to find ALL artwork. I am talking about putting artwork in manually as in "Get Info" and go to Artwork page and Paste it in. I usually use MetaX or Identify 2 but on occasion it won't find a movie cover. So I Google Image search find it and paste it in manually. Then when I hit OK is when I get the spinning beachball for a few minutes.
Try repairing permissions.

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
also check if you have read & write permissions for your music folder. in the finder, right-click on it and get info. unlock the little padlock (you may have to enter your admin password) and change the permission settings. next, click on the little gear-shaped icon and apply to enclosed items like so

20100602-1g71tme88ggi87q5dmma91f4mt.png" alt="Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 6.15.04 PM

the important part is to apply to enclosed items !

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010

also check if you have read & write permissions for your music folder. in the finder, right-click on it and get info. unlock the little padlock (you may have to enter your admin password) and change the permission settings. next, click on the little gear-shaped icon and apply to enclosed items like so

the important part is to apply to enclosed items !

Will do both of these when I get home today. Thanks so much guys for the replies.

Smoothness

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Nj
Thanks so much, i knew there was a way to add pictures.

This makes choosing movies on the ipad much more pleasing.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
No dice......Repaired Permissions and made sure I had Read/Write permission of my Music Folder. Went and changed a DVD cover for a movie and spinning beachball for about 3 minutes. Also had Activity Monitor open as I did this and it showed iTunes was Not Responding during the beachballing, but went back to normal after it finally "caught up".

Is there anything else I can try?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
try removing iTunes completely (click here and follow the instructions), then reinstall it using the standalone installer from here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

note this will not touch your media files, playlists, ratings, etc.

Will try this and report back. So this won't remove tags of movies or anything, correct? I should be able to install and hold option on first open and select library?

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
So this won't remove tags of movies or anything, correct?

correct.

this data (and more) is stored in the iTunes library file, which remains unaffected by reinstalling the iTunes application.

What are the iTunes library files ?

I should be able to install and hold option on first open and select library?

no need. you didn't move the library file to another location, right ?

when iTunes launches, it will look for the library file in the default location <MacintoshHD>/users/<yourname>/music/iTunes.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
no need. you didn't move the library file to another location, right ?

when iTunes launches, it will look for the library file in the default location <MacintoshHD>/users/<yourname>/music/iTunes.

Well my library is on an external usb drive so it shouldn't remember that right.

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Well my library is on an external usb drive so it shouldn't remember that right.

again, this data is stored in the library file.

as long as you don't change the setup or location of files/folders, rename the external holding your content, etc, reinstalling the iTunes app will have no impact on anything whatsoever.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks you very much Jolly Giant!!! A reinstall of iTunes was just the trick. Other than a few General Preferences and holding Option to choose my library on first open everything is back to normal. Maybe even a little faster. Went to movies and put a new cover artwork on one of the movies and hit OK and it was instant!:D:D:D

maxpark3r

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
I've had this problem and I found that just dragging the movie to the desktop, deleting it in iTunes and then re-adding it works to get the artwork back.

bruceleeroy

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
My Itunes has been running slowly and I want to uninstall and reinstall it but the above link from 2011 is for obvious reasons no longer applicable and I can't seem to find instructions on how to do it. Does anyone have a quick link?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Not sure if.....

this can help but I got something like that when adding artwork for 3 GB worth of music.....Albeit in a Windows machine with limited RAM......:(

:):apple:

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
I've had the same problem adding the artwork to movies but only when trying to have the artwork to movies on my NAS storage. Worked fine as long as I add the artwork first before transferring them to the wireless network storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.