Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
According to Apple's iPad 2 OS 4.3 manual I got from iBooks, it says that you can activate the iPad Cover Lock/Unlock by accessing Settings > General > iPad Cover Lock/Unlock (page 342). I don't see this option on my 16GB WiFi only iPad 2. Am I missing something?

wherewuz

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
According to Apple's iPad 2 OS 4.3 manual I got from iBooks, it says that you can activate the iPad Cover Lock/Unlock by accessing Settings > General > iPad Cover Lock/Unlock (page 342). I don't see this option on my 16GB WiFi only iPad 2. Am I missing something?

The option only shows up once you've actually put a Smart Cover on your iPad, which it doesn't look like you have.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Strange. I have a case that advertises this feature, but it isn't working. Guess the case manufacturer lied - although others with this case have reported it works. Must be a defect with my particular case. Thanks!

DickW

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
Cover lock gotcha

I tried the iPad cover and decided against it. Later, I discovered my iPad2 was eating batteries because it wasn't turning off when the top button was pushed. Was about to take it to Apple when I discovered the cover lock function was still turned on. Turning it off resets the top button function.

DickW

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The option only shows up once you've actually put a Smart Cover on your iPad, which it doesn't look like you have.

That's false.

EDIT: I may be wrong about this. My iPad 2 is in Developer mode so that may have enabled it.
Strange. I have a case that advertises this feature, but it isn't working. Guess the case manufacturer lied - although others with this case have reported it works. Must be a defect with my particular case. Thanks!
The setting should be there. Did you by chance have an iPad 1? Maybe restoring from backup removed the option from settings. That's my only idea.

Last edited:

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
The setting doesn't appear until there's contact with a cover. However maybe a magnet can do the same thing? Mine appeared after contact with a cover at a store.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I would never have known the option wouldn't come up until a Smart Cover has once been used on it. When I got my iPad 2, I immediately tried on the SmartCover before turning on the iPad 2.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
I would never have known the option wouldn't come up until a Smart Cover has once been used on it. When I got my iPad 2, I immediately tried on the SmartCover before turning on the iPad 2.

Hope people don't mind me reviving this old post....

Is it safe to assume in order to get the "Smart Cover Unlock/Lock" switch under the "General" setting, you have to at least attach an Apple Smart Cover?

I have it missing in both of my new iPad (3) devices. One is straight out of the box and the other one had the backup of a previous iPad 1 restored.

In a local store today, I find the button is there for the new iPads.

However, if I attach a 3rd party cover which supports Automatic Sleep On/Off feature, it works though. What is bothering me is there is no way to turn it off. (assume even a 3rd cover can be disabled with that "Smart Cover Unlock/Lock" button)

Kissel

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
I wonder if you can stick magnets to it in order to turn that feature on?
[doublepost=1470668968][/doublepost]Yes, you CAN use a magnet. I just tried it on an iPad 2 upgraded to iOS 9 where the "Lock / Unlock" toggle was missing in Settings. As soon as I ran the magnet over the right side of the iPad, it locked, and when I went into settings, the option was there.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
[doublepost=1470668968][/doublepost]Yes, you CAN use a magnet. I just tried it on an iPad 2 upgraded to iOS 9 where the "Lock / Unlock" toggle was missing in Settings. As soon as I ran the magnet over the right side of the iPad, it locked, and when I went into settings, the option was there.
This threads 4 years old!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.