Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
For me it's a great second/travel phone to have.

I bought mine when it first came out so yeah I paid extra for it. But honestly, no regrets as it changed my life. It's the one device that is with me at all times and I do more on it than I ever imagined. It's very hard to go back to a regular phone or use any other phone once you use an iPhone regularly.

Actually, I had to go back to my original iPhone (going back to the fact that it's a great second phone to have). I had an iPhone 4 for nearly a month since release but I decided to return it because I was having issues with the particular unit that was sold to me. I will however be buying another iPhone 4 in the next week or so and hopefully the next one I buy will not have the issues I dealt with the first time.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
None of the previous upgrades changed very much. My iPhone OG still does 90% of what the newer phones do. I'll be getting an iPhone 4 in the next several weeks, as it's time to upgrade and the camera, iBooks, and GPS are just too good to pass up.

gettysburg11s

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
I used to have an iPhone 4 and I didn't like the design and sold it. I now have an original iPhone. The design is way better, and I can still do everything I did before. The only time the slow Edge connection gets in the way is when I do Google Maps or download apps. The other g ood thing is unlimited data with 200 text messages for $20.00 a month. You can't beat that. I will probably upgrade to an iPhone 5 when it comes out, but it depends on what it brings to the table. Otherwise, I may move to an iPhone 3GS next February. My needs are modest, but having 3G would be nice (its not that important, but good to have once and a while).

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Original iPhone 2G Why do so many people still use it

..........to get grandfathered in to unlimited data :D

nawras94

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
I'm still using my 2g iPhone. The only feature I miss on a regular basis is MMS. I wouldn't mind the new features but I'm content to wait until the white iPhone 4 comes out. There's no 3G coverage in the city I live in right now so it really doesn't matter. Beyond the system itself running faster I won't see that big of a change. I'm aware of all the other differences but I'm not that worried about it. Plus I still think my iPhone is the best looking one they made with the new 4 coming in a close second. I can't even tell you how many times I've dropped my phone and it continues to run like a champ. I just recently dropped it on the pavement in a parking lot. Made a dent about the size of the camera about 1/4" below the camera. Picked it and turned it on like nothing happened. I haven't used a case for all but maybe a month of my ownership. Best phone I've ever had.

you know you can get mms and video record from cydia just update to latest version jailbreak it then you will find mms video record
or download whited00r (Full) its ios4
on 3.1.3 has all ios 4 features
just msg me if you need help

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
The lower classes disgust me with their old and inferior technology. I saw someone using an ibook g4 the other day at starbucks and my monocle almost fell out.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Although I've had every iphone so far, I find that the 1st gen was the most durable, it was also the only one that I carried without a case. I dropped it several times and only had 1 small dent. Its style is 2nd only to iPhone 4.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
Although I've had every iphone so far, I find that the 1st gen was the most durable, it was also the only one that I carried without a case. I dropped it several times and only had 1 small dent. Its style is 2nd only to iPhone 4.

It's a beast. I still use my orig. 8 gb as an iPod touch. It's around 3yrs old and it's original battery still holds a strong charge, even after seeing frequent temp extremes (100 - 15 deg F ). I'm a little disappointed that my 4 is starting to play up while the old one is still golden (just slow as hell XD )

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
With all the new features of the newer phones and the speed of 3G why do you keep your old 2G iPhone?

I was at a resturant this weekend, and I had my 3GS and some guy was using an original iPhone complaining the speed was really slow, so I asked him why he doesn't just upgrade, and he said he was getting a new one, so I said ok which one 3GS, or iPhone 4 he sais no new 2G :eek:

I asked him why he doesn't upgrade and he said he likes this one and upgrading is just not worth the money?

I nearly fell off the bar stool, why curse the speed of something and then when you have the opportunity to get a faster one, you say Na I am content with this older phone????

So if you have a 2G why haven't you upgraded????

I would really like to know because the 2G is very old now....

Wow, amazing, people still use perfectly functional technology that's more than a year old! I know, it's shocking that some people don't need to drop $500 on a new phone every year or (gasp) have different priorities than you. Do you also feel superior that your car is newer that other ones on the road?

iTunes-Luv

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
USA
I still have my 2G without a data plan on my family plan. I only use it with Wifi in house. I don't think speed is not an issue on Wifi.

It's a great back up phone for travel or for foreign relative to use temporarily

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
Some people are just reluctant to upgrade and will stay on a single device for years, they are called Dinosaurs.

Weather you want to admit it or not, there is absolutely no justification to stay on the original iPhone.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
Well, I don't have my first gen iPhone anymore but that iPhone was an amazing phone... Gorgeous design, great feeling in the hand. Here in the Netherlands we don't have EDGE networks, so it only worked at GPRS speeds which was REALLY slow. That was the only reason I sold it and bought an iPhone 3G.

But I'm glad I have a 3GS nowadays, works fine for me. :)

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Some people only use their phone for texting, e-mail, and some web browsing - they don't need to be able to run any newer Apps for most of that so they don't need the newer iPhones & their newer versions of iOS.

Also, some people don't have 3G in their local areas under AT&T. For example, me :(

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Some people are just reluctant to upgrade and will stay on a single device for years, they are called Dinosaurs.

Weather you want to admit it or not, there is absolutely no justification to stay on the original iPhone.

Whether you want to admit it, you're completely wrong. Don't you hate Apple products anyway?

vicky123

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2010
I am still using my iPhone 2G because I hated the plastic back on the 3G and 3GS, and it is so durable. I have never used a case and it still looks like new and the battery still holds a charge just like it did when it was new. All the apps I have downloaded work on it, it can still play Angry Birds. The only 2 apps I can't use on it are Hulu and Crackle, it won't even download them, but I have them on my iPad and iPod Touch, so it's not really a big deal to not have them on my phone. I am also on a prepay plan with no contract and unlimited data. I hate that I will be losing the unlimited data when I activate the iPhone 4 I just ordered yesterday, but switching to a contract I am treated as a new user. My data plan is not grandfathered. I really loved not having to keep a case on my phone, but the iPhone 4 seems much more fragile, I did order a bumper for it just in case I have issues with the antenna.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Money is a pretty good justification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.