Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Lame! I just had an Early_Unit_End on the p6900 I was 60% though. What a waste. Must have been a bad WU because this computer has been rock stable so far, not so much as a hiccup. And to add insult to injury the replacement WU is a 2684, the slowest bigadv there is.

Hi,

Are you using the latest 6.34 client? Most of the new units are 6901s that need it to use the a5 core. The a3 units should be being phased out.

If you are still using 6.29, you will likely be getting the dregs of the old WUs - all the ones that everyone else failed to complete.

However, if it happens again, it might be worth considering that bigadv folding will find fault with even '100% stable' overclocks.

I had a system that was to all intents and purposes stable, but after 2 weeks of bigadv, glitched and failed a WU. I reported the WU as bad, but someone else was able to complete it, so knocked bclk back 2 MHz and been stable since.

Keep folding!

Rob

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Yeah I'm running 6.34/a5. If it happens again then I will definitely look into it deeper, but I think it may have been just bad luck.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Hey we finally passed someone! Keep up the good work guys! Only 3.2 weeks till we pass another team! We should really start kicking butt again when a new OS X client comes out so us Mac/Hackintosh folders can run Bigadvs again!

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Come on guys! We gotta get crankin' out WUs again! We seem to have lost a lot of that steam that we had a month or two ago. Losing bigadv for OS X has been an issue, hopefully we will get a new client soon!
I am disappointed that my output has dropped, especially over the last few days...I reformatted my computer, but I should be back up now. In a few weeks, after I am done with this Final Cut project, I might boot into Windows and crank out some bigadvs + GPU to give us a boost.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have only been folding with my GPUs since folding the CPU puts off way too much heat. Im hoping to have my air conditioning hooked up soon, it's all free since I work in the sheet metal/hvac trade :p

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I have only been folding with my GPUs since folding the CPU puts off way too much heat. Im hoping to have my air conditioning hooked up soon, it's all free since I work in the sheet metal/hvac trade :p

Hmm... I would have guessed that GPUs (not to mention 4:eek:;)) put off a lot more heat and power usage than a CPU at 100%.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have my office on the first floor but just going to turn it into a guest bedroom and move my office to the basement. It's always cold down there so I'll be able to run all my clients again. 6 cores at 4.2ghz puts of quite a bit of heat even with 1.27v. 4 GPUs @ 900mhz puts off quite a bit too lol.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
The CPUs running bigadv especially are much more efficient (better ppd/watt) than GPUs...

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Just added a pentium 4 windows machine to the MacRumors team. It will be folding 24/7.. It's old but hopefully it'll help out a little bit :)

designed

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
Hi again chaps, been a while!

The reason I'm here is that lately I've been getting a lot of
a) new package not available from Stanford
b) this, which more often than not comes in at the first 10% of the work unit:
8 particles communicated to PME node 1 are more than 2/3 times the cut-off out of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group in dimension xThis usually means that your system is not well equilibrated

and I'm wondering is my Fah-installation falling apart or something, i.e. is the problem at my end? I decreased the amount of SMP from 16 (8 cores x HT) to 14 some months ago to allow for smoother basic workflow. Folding assigns the 14 nodes as 8 particle-particle and 6 PME only.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Congratulations Macrumors Team. We had our beat month yet at 19+ million points for the month of May, June is looking very good as well so far as I think we'll top 20 million. This is amazing considering it's also getting warmer out.

Way to go Macrumors. Lets keep it up!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Congratulations Macrumors Team. We had our beat month yet at 19+ million points for the month of May, June is looking very good as well so far as I think we'll top 20 million. This is amazing considering it's also getting warmer out.

Way to go Macrumors. Lets keep it up!

that's awesome! keep it going!

linheli

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
I usually just use my PS3 guess I should ramp it up then? Running full throttle on MBP i7 for a while! Using laptop on my lap.... the pain it burns! Ah my legs on fire! :)

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Using laptop on my lap.... the pain it burns! Ah my legs on fire! :)

Now that's commitment!!

I'm having to back off a bit with the weather being warmer. That and not wanting the thunderstorms to wipe me out!

Keep folding!
Rob

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I usually just use my PS3 guess I should ramp it up then? Running full throttle on MBP i7 for a while! Using laptop on my lap.... the pain it burns! Ah my legs on fire! :)

how's that i7 MBP folding for you?

yeah i've had to back off completely. power bill last month was $400! :eek: so i'm out until winter

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Hey! Looks like we just moved up a place to #61! Although looks like another team will be passing us in about a week, but we are set to pass another team in about three weeks!

Looks like our PPD is going up as well! Keep up the good work guys!:)

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I'm back up and running on my mac pro and ps3 after being gone for thanksgiving. I've thought about running it on my macbook pro but not sure how much it will be able to handle

Lkgboater71

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Signed up today

Hi All -

I added my 5770 GPU/AMD Phenom 965 on my Win 7 box, Mac mini core i7 2.7 Ghz, and an older Athlon X2 with a 9800GTX+. I cannot seem to get the GPU client working with the 9800GTX+ GPU though. Keeps immediately failing with the UNSTABLE error.

Hope this helps out!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm back up and running on my mac pro and ps3 after being gone for thanksgiving. I've thought about running it on my macbook pro but not sure how much it will be able to handle

alright!

you could try the mbp if you want. every little bit helps. which gpu does it have?

Hi All -

I added my 5770 GPU/AMD Phenom 965 on my Win 7 box, Mac mini core i7 2.7 Ghz, and an older Athlon X2 with a 9800GTX+. I cannot seem to get the GPU client working with the 9800GTX+ GPU though. Keeps immediately failing with the UNSTABLE error.

Hope this helps out!

thanks for joining! if you need help with that gpu, just start another thread with more details about what's going on, and we'll do our best to help you.

how is the mac mini doing?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Congrats guys! We just passed another team!
Unfortunately, it looks like another team is going to pass us in about a week, but a few days later we should pass another team, and the tide turns in our favor for about 5-6 months of passing teams without to much risk of getting passed ourselves. Keep up the good work! I'm liking these high 700k points days! Let's see if we can get to 800k/day this next week!:D

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Let's see if we can get to 800k/day this next week!:D

Well I've got the parts for another i7 2600k / GTX 560 rig coming tomorrow, so that should help!

There will be a few days of leak and stability testing before it gets unleashed, but hopefully by midweek there will be an extra 45k ppd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.