Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab1577

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
ok, so i washed my trousers, leaving my ipod touch in the pocket. not good. 90 minutes, 60 degrees and its totally dead. it's dry now but it won't even switch on, no sign of live whatsoever. what could i do? i don't have any warranty any more.

nwcenter8

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
There is some luck?!

Sorry to say this, but they do not support water damage at Apple. That goes for any iPod, iPad, iPhone, and/or Mac/Macbook. But, there are some ways to get the water out. This happened to my iPhone. As long as you didn't turn it on after the water had gotten inside of it, some of these methods would work.

One is to take some sort of rice and put some into a plastic bag. Make sure there is enough to cover the iPod. Leave the iPod in the bag with it covered in UNCOOKED rice. Then after 4-6 days, turn the iTouch on and see if that helped. If that didn't, you can always blow dry the iPod through the charger placement. But, that has a cause of your iPod warping...so probably not the best idea. There are many different ways, but those are just from memory.

whowhatwhen

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Sorry to say this, but they do not support water damage at Apple. That goes for any iPod, iPad, iPhone, and/or Mac/Macbook. But, there are some ways to get the water out. This happened to my iPhone. As long as you didn't turn it on after the water had gotten inside of it, some of these methods would work.

One is to take some sort of rice and put some into a plastic bag. Make sure there is enough to cover the iPod. Leave the iPod in the bag with it covered in UNCOOKED rice. Then after 4-6 days, turn the iTouch on and see if that helped. If that didn't, you can always blow dry the iPod through the charger placement. But, that has a cause of your iPod warping...so probably not the best idea. There are many different ways, but those are just from memory.

Well wont it be to late if you wait for the rice and then blow drying it 5 day s after? :confused:

kyleh613

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
If your touch doesn't work after 4 - 5 days of letting it dry then its not gonna work at all. Just buy a new one and next time be careful.

freeme007

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
Oh man, I just dropped my 2nd iPod Touch in the toilet yesterday and I tried to turn it on after shake all the water all, but it won't let me slide open. Then I I my put the iPod Touch in a bowl of uncooked rice. Right now, I try to turn it on again and still shows no sign of life. Any other suggestions? I have a lot of information in the touch.

rjenovai

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.22.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Safari/531.22.7)

freeme007 said:
Oh man, I just dropped my 2nd iPod Touch in the toilet yesterday and I tried to turn it on after shake all the water all, but it won't let me slide open. Then I I my put the iPod Touch in a bowl of uncooked rice. Right now, I try to turn it on again and still shows no sign of life. Any other suggestions? I have a lot of information in the touch.

You can try putting it in a plastic bag with desiccant instead. It's been reported to work better than rice.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Trust me, isopropyl alcohol works wonders on stuff like this. It'll mix with water and its impurities, then evaporate leaving no residue. So, open the ipod up (pry up the screen) and clean all of the circuit boards, connectors, and ports with cleaning alcohol. The only problem will be blotches on the screen from water.

Golden michel

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Yes, if it can still turn on get it fixed at apple store they'll just charge you for the fix, if it won't turn on that means it's dead get a new one.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I thought you were supposed to microwave it with the rice thing, i guess that wouldnt be a very good idea though. :eek:

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
rjenovai said:
You can try putting it in a plastic bag with desiccant instead. It's been reported to work better than rice.

Yup, this works wonders. My iPod touch 2G has been victim to water damage on three different occasions (none of which, I must point out, were directly my fault). The first time, I just let it sit for about two weeks, then I tried to take it apart and it magically turned on. Second time, I used the rice method - let it sit for about a week, periodically trying to turn it on. Finally worked. Third time, I applied some of that chemistry knowledge I learned in college and put the iPod in a plastic container with a lime-based desiccant I had left over from some food (I had taken the desiccant out of the package... exactly what it tells you not to do). Took only two days in there.

kbfr08 said:
Trust me, isopropyl alcohol works wonders on stuff like this. It'll mix with water and its impurities, then evaporate leaving no residue. So, open the ipod up (pry up the screen) and clean all of the circuit boards, connectors, and ports with cleaning alcohol. The only problem will be blotches on the screen from water.

Never used the IPA method with an iPod touch before, but I did use it on an old water damaged Macbook. I regularly clean the outside of my computer with it too.

freeme007 said:
how do you open up the ipod Touch? Any instructions?

I've always liked the guides over at PowerBook Medic. They're colorful, informative, and the videos show you the details you need. Oh, one piece of advice, invest in one of those cheap plastic tools for taking it apart. I've cracked the glass digitizer numerous times trying to use other tools because I was too cheap to buy one of these little kits.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I've always liked the guides over at PowerBook Medic. They're colorful, informative, and the videos show you the details you need. Oh, one piece of advice, invest in one of those cheap plastic tools for taking it apart. I've cracked the glass digitizer numerous times trying to use other tools because I was too cheap to buy one of these little kits.

Buy one off of ebay; theyre like a few bucks.

What exactly is desiccant?

Grrx3babyxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
water damage

:(i dropped my ipod into the sink and now it wont even turn on.. i have a warrenty till Febuary do you think i could get it replaced?

freeme007

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
man, I tried so many ways to get this thing turned on, but it won't. I guess it's dead.

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
:(i dropped my ipod into the sink and now it wont even turn on.. i have a warrenty till Febuary do you think i could get it replaced?

You're in the same boat as him. Apple will open up the box, see the water indicator triggered and laugh at you. They will then demand 200 for a repair or if you'r broke, ship your shiny,expensive brick back to you at your expense. -_-

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The warranty and AppleCare specifically exclude accidental damage including water. It doesn't matter if you drop it into water or spill water or spill anything on it; once the sensors go off you are out of luck. Same thing applies to dropping it.

Sarahhh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011

Noope. I have a warranttyy for two more years but apple won't fix it for free because its physical damage !
But good luckk ! (;

Tenkai

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
help!!!

I have a 4th gen itouch and water got dumped on it i shut it off and let it sit in dry rice for at least 10 to 12 hours and now the only problem im having with it is the power button randomly works and it keeps shutting off every so often. Is there anyway to fix this problem?

andysmth

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Re: Ipod touch water damage

there is very less chances of your ipod tough that it will work again but you must go to apple store tell them your problem they will charged you and if there any chance to recover it they will must inform you.. so must give a try..!

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
One of my kids managed to get our 64gb iTouch (*yes, I know, I don't care) into the washer.

We tried the rice trick for a week, no go. Likely because wifey tried to turn it on immediately afterwards.

DON'T TURN IT ON. I keep reading that in these stories, told the wife again, big no-no.

Luckily we went into the apple store, she batted her eyes, jiggled her assets, and we got a refurb for only the cost of a battery fix ($79) so we go lucky. Otherwise would have been 200 if they were feeling kinda generous.

ElizabethRayne

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
help?

okay.. so I dropped my ipod touch 3rd gen in the bathtub, I know, real smart.. anywho, I freaked out and turned it on before going to my computer and looking up what to do when something like this happens and I found out that you aren't supposed to turn it on, oops. I did get it to turn on, screen worked, sorta, to me it looked like the back light on it was toast, and that was kind of it, it also did all those wonderful lines across the screen, but it kind of stopped, still made sound out of the speaker in it, and so on, never got to check it with headphones, charger port works, kinda, and I say kinda because I plugged it into my wall and it worked, and I plugged it into my computer and that worked, itunes said I needed to restore it to factory settings, so I tried that, and it said it worked, but then it told me to do it again, and again, and again, and my computer kept beeping like the ipod kept coming unplugged but it wasn't because I was holding it still.

Right now, its in a bag of rice in need of being restored to factory settings, so I really don't know whats going on with it, any other suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.