Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkipperStyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Paraguay
I am relatively new to iTunes, and have burned dozens of CDs before. However, all of those CDs have been complete albums. I tried to burn my first mix recently, and found that the CD had been burned with the songs in the wrong order.

I must be doing something wrong, but there doesn't seem to be too many areas where iTunes makes it even possible to mess something this simple up, so I pretty confused.

I make a playlist, hit burn CD, select Audio CD, and go. The songs make it, but like I said, in the wrong order. They get organized by album, but I just want the CD to look like the playlist on the computer.

Has anyone run into something like this? It is iTunes 8.0.2.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I am relatively new to iTunes, and have burned dozens of CDs before. However, all of those CDs have been complete albums. I tried to burn my first mix recently, and found that the CD had been burned with the songs in the wrong order.

I must be doing something wrong, but there doesn't seem to be too many areas where iTunes makes it even possible to mess something this simple up, so I pretty confused.

I make a playlist, hit burn CD, select Audio CD, and go. The songs make it, but like I said, in the wrong order. They get organized by album, but I just want the CD to look like the playlist on the computer.

Has anyone run into something like this? It is iTunes 8.0.2.

On your playlist, click on the first heading (where the number of the track is shown underneath). Beside it is the Name, Time, Artist, Album etc headings. Most likely, you clicked on Album, so it is sorted by albums.

zebedee

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
burning a playlist - order of songs not correct

I am having the same problem with ITunes burning a playlist in alphabetical order instead of track number. I followed the advice given and it still does not work.

I am using v 8.02 of iTunes.

Thanks for any info on this.

timolm

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
iTunes CD Burning Does Not Keep Correct Playlist Order

I'm also having the problem of songs not being in the same order as the playlist that I'm burning. Any help here? I've tried everything. I'm using iTunes 8.2.

many thanks

RiPaMel

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
I had this problem too, and the suggested fixes (including the one above) I found online were patronising and, frankly, pretty dumb - albeit the attempted help is appreciated.

I'm not sure there is a solution to this. What I did was edit the track number of each track in the playlist, then copy the playlist to a disk once again. It may still appear in alphabetical order, but if you click on View (etc.) and select 'track number', then make the CD sort by track number, you'll have your preferred running order again.

I think you may have to repeat that process each time, though, so it's a bit of an arse and no way the total solution. But I hope it's some use to someone.

Richard

SkyOtter

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
Here is how to keep iTunes Playlist order when burning CD

1) First, insert the blank CD. When (if) you're asked what you want to do with it, tell it to "Ignore" (for now). That will place the blank CD on your Desktop, and ready to be burned.

2) In iTunes, select the Playlist's column heading that you want -- to define the order of the songs.
NOTE: If you have the Playlist's "Controls" (main menu) set so that "Shuffle" is turned OFF, you will be able to manually drag the song titles to be in any order you choose. In that case, after you have arranged them in your preferred order, you would then select the first column heading on the left (it shows the numbering). THAT is the column that will define the order your Playlist's tracks will play.

3) Right-click (on Mac, Control-click) on the Playlist title and select "Copy to Play Order."

4) Again, Right-click (on Mac, Control-click) on the Playlist title and select "Burn Playlist to Disc."

THAT'S HOW TO DO IT. And I just figured it out today -- thanks to an excellent November 3, 2005 post by one Rachel Wolan on CNET Australia, in her Steps 6, 7 and 8: http://www.cnet.com.au/diy-how-to-create-an-mp3-cd-240057881.htm

I found that it is essential that you do NOT select "Copy to Play Order" BEFORE inserting the blank disc.

FYI: Just yesterday, I updated iTunes to 9.1.
Today, I successfully burned an MP3 CD that retained the Playlist order.
NOTE: The burned CD does not appear to retain the order when you look at it on your computer. But when it's played on a separate CD player (e.g., as part of my stereo system), the order is retained. Actually, what I mean to say is this: If you eject the burned CD and then insert it back into your computer, the play order defaults to one of the column headings other than the one on the left (with the numbering). And that will lead you to believe that the burned CD also switched the play order from your desired column heading to one of the other column headings . . . such as "Artist" (arranged alphabetically by artist) or "Album" (arranged alphabetically by album title). If you did want to play the newly-burned CD on your computer, in iTunes, all you have to do is click on the left column to play the tracks in your preferred order.

BE NOT DISMAYED! Like I said, the play order "defaults" to a different column ONLY on your computer (at least, it does on my computer).
But it does not switch the order when the CD is played on a CD player elsewhere than your computer.

Best wishes,
--David Purnell (skyotter@aol.com), 4/4/2010
============================

Reactions: dotts

SkyOtter

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
GGJstudios wrote:
You DO realize you're responding to a very old thread, right? That's why they have older versions of iTunes.

My reply:

Yes, I do realize I'm replying to an "old thread." At least, the first post is a couple of years old. The initial post was 12/7/08. The most recent post prior to mine, however, was 9/22/09.
And the answer I found -- that has thus far eluded all the commenters -- was in a post dated 11/3/2005.

So, an "old thread", yes. Yet, apparently still relevant . . . and until now, unsatisfactorily answered.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, an "old thread", yes. Yet, apparently still relevant . . . and until now, unsatisfactorily answered.
And the OP who asked the question hasn't been seen on this site for 5 months and will likely not see your post. But if you enjoy posting in old threads, knock yourself out!

SkyOtter

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
You seem to be narrowly focused, and missing the point.

Today, I wanted to learn why my MP3 CD burns were not retaining my iTunes Playlist order.

So, I Googled, "itunes will not burn cd in playlist order" and I found my way -- today -- to this particular thread on MacRumors. As a result of reading other posts here (where -- from the first post on 12/7/08 to the most recent post (9/22/09) prior to mine . . . no satisfactory answer was posted), I went a step further and found an answer by one Rachel Wolan (as I described) at http://www.cnet.com.au/diy-how-to-cr...-240057881.htm
posted a LONG time ago -- on November 3, 2005!

Even though that 11/3/05 post was THAT old, it provided the key to my understanding, i.e., about selecting "Copy to Play Order." I didn't, previously, know about that. And, apparently, other iTunes users, also, do not know about that. Regardless of the version of iTunes, apparently this valuable information pertained to the older version as well as to my current 9.1 version.

And so, I wanted to share it on this thread.
If I found my way to this thread today, why would you assume that others -- in the future -- will not also Google their way to it . . . and benefit?

That, to me, just seems reasonable. I don't understand why you're making an issue of it, and implying that it is wasted energy.

Respectfully,
David Purnell

alannah ryane

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
not an old thread for me!

I have been burning my music with iTunes for many years and have never had this problem before. I am also on 9.1. sometimes i just hate updating itunes as something always changes or is removed. anyway i am burning now for 4th time, I am so grateful for the assistance because i have to start teaching with this playlist tomorrow night. my mistake is that i didn't read through the whole post and then check to see if the ones i threw away because i thought they still burned in the wrong order would actually play on a cd player in the right order ..they did! many thanks SkyOtter I wouldn't have had any hair

Sharpy2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
iTunes CD Burning - playlist tracks burned in reverse order

I have just updated to i-Tunes 10 and for the first time I am having the problem of tracks being burned in reverse order. I will try the remedy suggested a few years ago. I have tested the CD burned in a regular CD player and it does not correct the track order. Still starts from the last track.

Some days later:

I think I have now cracked this. Before creating a playlist from the list of music, click on the date added column so that the newest tracks are at the bottom of the list rather than the default top. Select your tracks from the bottom and create the playlist. They will now be in the correct order with the little arrow above the track numbers pointing up rather than down.

Head Unit

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
I have just updated to i-Tunes 10 and for the first time I am having the problem of tracks being burned in reverse order. I will try the remedy suggested a few years ago. I have tested the CD burned in a regular CD player and it does not correct the track order. Still starts from the last track.

Me too, just from 10.0 :mad::confused::(

I think I have now cracked this. Before creating a playlist from the list of music, click on the date added column so that the newest tracks are at the bottom of the list rather than the default top. Select your tracks from the bottom and create the playlist. They will now be in the correct order with the little arrow above the track numbers pointing up rather than down.

Is it the stupid arrow that's the problem?!?!?!

I can't always do the rest exactly as you said, sometimes tracks were added at different times and even different albums/artists. I think I recentlty now have 7 coasters I gave someone before I realized this problem-live recordings of a mutual friend's band, so senseless in the wrong order.

And to those criticizing old posts...well, if that's where the info is, why not? Of course the OP probably won't see it, but if it pops to the top of the list others will and hopefully be helped. Better than starting a new thread without old but relevant information attached.

Shintocam

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2005
Canada
And the OP who asked the question hasn't been seen on this site for 5 months and will likely not see your post. But if you enjoy posting in old threads, knock yourself out!

Wow talk about someone who does not realise that these problems persist and that Google has a funny way of finding these old threads. I was having this problem with iTunes 10.1 doing the exact same thing. But for this person's answer I would not have solved it.

I for one appreciate that they took the time to reply to an old thread. Now if there was a needless response to an old post - your's was definitely it :rolleyes:.

kjwsmw

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
socal
Wow talk about someone who does not realise that these problems persist and that Google has a funny way of finding these old threads. I was having this problem with iTunes 10.1 doing the exact same thing. But for this person's answer I would not have solved it.

I for one appreciate that they took the time to reply to an old thread. Now if there was a needless response to an old post - your's was definitely it :rolleyes:.

Good point...problems go on and are not solved. New people come into these problems all the time. Addressing problems that are brought up over and over always helps someone.

Here is one I have not been able to get an answer for.....
Why when you load a USB playlist do the songs automatically get there order changed to alphabetical? Can you prevent this?

KJW

kjwsmw

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
socal
In the USB Finder window? Finder>View>View Options>Arrange by...
Thanks for the help Dave. I am loading the USB list from an .fpbf folder on my desktop. I think I may be doing it the wrong way.
When I go to the view I only see a drop down of columns that does not let me arrange.
Is there a better way for me to be loading the USB. (this is for install on a car radio)

farlihud

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
itunes burning alphabetically

I know this is an old thread, but havin issues and this was what popped up when I tried troubleshooting via google

I wanted to burn full albums I had stored and was 1st making a playlist (of full album, from artist tab), then burning the playlist...itunes kept burning alphabetically. Then I realized there were 2 ways to create a playlist from the 'artists' tab. I was originally right clicking on the album then selecting 'New Playlist From Selection.." option. This would create the playlist, but the songs were alphabetical. I would click on the "Sort by..." button and choose track #, which would put the order correctly, but would still burn alphabetically.

Then I realized if I clicked the 3rd symbol to the right of the album name,
( > ) [1st is play symbol, 2nd shuffle symbol] --> Add To --> New Playlist, it would create the playlist in the correct order.

Hope this helps others makin frisbees like I just did.:rolleyes:

jmanorama

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
5 years...

Can we just take a second to realize that this thread is now 5 years old, and still completely relevant? :)
Come on Apple :apple:. Get this fixed! I don't want my CD to go 3, 10, 16, 2, 6, 20! :mad:

kjwsmw

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
socal
Can we just take a second to realize that this thread is now 5 years old, and still completely relevant? :)
Come on Apple :apple:. Get this fixed! I don't want my CD to go 3, 10, 16, 2, 6, 20! :mad:

SOS with iTunes. You can always use Jam 6.0.3 if you can find it and if you're ancient like I am. It will do everything you want for cd's clean and simple. Crossfades, gain adjustments, tracks in order, cd text info. All the normal stuff you should have and it works with no frustration.

kjw

Hayden Wayne

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
1) First, insert the blank CD. When (if) you're asked what you want to do with it, tell it to "Ignore" (for now). That will place the blank CD on your Desktop, and ready to be burned.

2) In iTunes, select the Playlist's column heading that you want -- to define the order of the songs.
NOTE: If you have the Playlist's "Controls" (main menu) set so that "Shuffle" is turned OFF, you will be able to manually drag the song titles to be in any order you choose. In that case, after you have arranged them in your preferred order, you would then select the first column heading on the left (it shows the numbering). THAT is the column that will define the order your Playlist's tracks will play.

3) Right-click (on Mac, Control-click) on the Playlist title and select "Copy to Play Order."

4) Again, Right-click (on Mac, Control-click) on the Playlist title and select "Burn Playlist to Disc."

THAT'S HOW TO DO IT. And I just figured it out today -- thanks to an excellent November 3, 2005 post by one Rachel Wolan on CNET Australia, in her Steps 6, 7 and 8: http://www.cnet.com.au/diy-how-to-create-an-mp3-cd-240057881.htm

I found that it is essential that you do NOT select "Copy to Play Order" BEFORE inserting the blank disc.

FYI: Just yesterday, I updated iTunes to 9.1.
Today, I successfully burned an MP3 CD that retained the Playlist order.
NOTE: The burned CD does not appear to retain the order when you look at it on your computer. But when it's played on a separate CD player (e.g., as part of my stereo system), the order is retained. Actually, what I mean to say is this: If you eject the burned CD and then insert it back into your computer, the play order defaults to one of the column headings other than the one on the left (with the numbering). And that will lead you to believe that the burned CD also switched the play order from your desired column heading to one of the other column headings . . . such as "Artist" (arranged alphabetically by artist) or "Album" (arranged alphabetically by album title). If you did want to play the newly-burned CD on your computer, in iTunes, all you have to do is click on the left column to play the tracks in your preferred order.

BE NOT DISMAYED! Like I said, the play order "defaults" to a different column ONLY on your computer (at least, it does on my computer).
But it does not switch the order when the CD is played on a CD player elsewhere than your computer.

Best wishes,
--David Purnell (skyotter@aol.com), 4/4/2010
============================

Thank you, thank you!!!! I have a presentation today and thought I couldn't burn the proper order onto disk. You are correct. On another cd player, it reads the numbers of tracks in their proper order.

That said:
WHAT'S GOING ON, APPLE?!!!!! Steve Jobs is rolling over in his still warm grave. This iTunes disfunction, along with iPads not having usb ports and forcing us to throw our intellectual property into the cloud to have our information upload into our own devises, as well as not having cd/dvd burners in the latest models of computers, etc. WE ARE YOUR LOYALISTS!!! And, for greed you are thumbing your nose at us. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!

Hayden Wayne
a loyalist since the MacPlus
9/22/14

hbaya

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
burning a playlist - order of songs not correct

I am having the same problem with ITunes burning a playlist in alphabetical order instead of track number. I followed the advice given and it still does not work.

I am using v 8.02 of iTunes.

Thanks for any info on this.

I found that SkyOtter's message below to be useful. However, I also have a work around. If you edit the title in the playlist of each track and add a number (01_, 02_, 03_ etc. ) this will cause even the alphabetic sort to give you the desired sequence. Of course this change will persist and could be a nuisance in other playlists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.