Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Until you're an activist for every cause known to man, please refrain from telling which which issues I need to care about and what stance I need to have. There are no shortage of things in this world to be outraged about. I'll make my own choices on which ones I choose to do something about. :mad:

Was I responding to you or someone else. Have another look.

This is what he said to me directly"
<Take your tin foil hat off and take this story to a place that actually has people who care.>

If a person doesn't care, don't read it.
If someone doesn't like this thread, they are free to say so or free to just not participate in it.

If someone is interested, here it is. See how that works?

I only get nasty to those that get nasty to me first with comments like "tin foil hat", etc.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Here's another post. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. See?

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ne-know-about-you-more-than-you-think/237786/

http://www.cellebrite.com/news-and-...ice-for-cell-phones-smartphones-and-pdas.html

<<Last week, two separate news items highlighted the importance of what your phone knows. First, the American Civil Liberties Union in Michigan went public with its Freedom of Information Act request for data on how the state police are using a hardware system called Cellebrite UFED. The ACLU suggested that state troopers were using the UFED during routine traffic stops. While the $4,000-8,000 price tag of the systems would suggest it's unlikely that many cops have the systems in their cars, even the possibility of such a practice has got to set Fourth Amendment alarm bells ringing from here to 1791. Here's a word of advice: if a law enforcement official ever asks for your phone, just say no.

In a June 2008 article, Cellebrite bragged that it had sold 3,500 Cellebrite devices in the eleven months the UFED had been on the market. Throw in other common devices from companies like Cellebrite, Parabens, Micro Systemation and Katana Forensics, makers of Lantern, and you can begin to see the scale of mobile phone data extraction that must be occurring across the nation's law enforcement landscape.>>

--
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/make-sure-to-encrypt-your-iphone-backups/3885
---

For those of you on Windows, encrypting your iPhone backups is even more important because malware get scrape all the info. (and OS X, but far less risky, I know.. whatever)

Last edited:

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Wow you seem pretty bitter, are you one of those people that I see on the side of the road with the Guantanamo Bay signs?

I'm bitter after my fellow man attack me for giving a ***** about privacy and security.

Care to point out others here who are bitter?

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Seriously? This is what I should be pestering my congressman about?

Nevermind two wars we can't get out of, another war we are wading into, spiraling deficits, unbalanced budgets, infantile mud slinging...but I should get them to address location tracking?

Really?

phaggard

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
I have nothing to hide and don't care if anyone knows where I've been or where I'm going. Maybe some day when someone's family member is being taken away in the trunk of a car it would be nice to know where they were taken. I also watch too many CSI and Law and Order shows.

I might change my mind in the future if I ever need to hide my whereabouts but for now my attitude is if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to hide.

When they start telling me I can't do this or I can't do that because I went here or there then I might start worrying. There's nothing wrong with tracking the data, it's what they do with it you should worry about.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
"I don't care that our rights are eroding because I'm a compliant house-slave".

That's what you sound like. Get real.

To you maybe, but that is MY OPINION and I am entitled to it! It is what I have gone to war as both a soldier and a civilian to defend. If I were you, I would be a bit more miffed about the Patriot Act that allows various agencies the ability to track your every move rather than a silly database. :rolleyes:

And what I've learned over the years is that MOST people commenting in forums don't even bother to read the dang article. And if they do, their reading comprehension skills is that of a fourth grader and/or they filter out what they are reading because they don't like it.

How many of you even vote? How many of you have ever written their congressperson about anything?

Do you even believe in democracy?

If this forum bothers you that much, why not pack it up and leave? Feel free to hide in your house because the Girl Scouts are asking for you e-mail address when you buy cookies. You know they are tracking you and want to take away your freedom! :rolleyes:

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Was I responding to you or someone else. Have another look.

When you put something like this out there on a public forum, it really doesn't matter who you're talking to. You're talking to "everyone" whether you like it or not. If you wish to reply to just one person and not have others jump into that conversation, a PM or email is the appropriate form of communication.

I only get nasty to those that get nasty to me first with comments like "tin foil hat", etc.

No, you got nasty (or started down that path) when you titled the thread "Write Your Congressperson". Fairly harmless, but it's still a command rather than a request.

Then it really got nasty when you started insulting everyone who disagreed with you. And indirectly those like myself who agreed with those you are insulting. Seriously man, you called us slaves! :eek: Multiple times. And it goes on. But after re-reading your posts I realized that it's really just a waste of time.

You have you opinions and I have mine. I'm happy you've chosen to write to your congressperson. I applaud your efforts. Just please stop telling me I have a slave mentality because I haven't. It's quite rude and uncalled for.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Maybe we should also complain about bonus cards! You know the supermarket is tracking your every purchase from every location and it is only a matter of time before they triangulate your position! :eek: :p

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Here's another post. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. See?
<<Last week, two separate news items highlighted the importance of what your phone knows. First, the American Civil Liberties Union in Michigan went public with its Freedom of Information Act request for data on how the state police are using a hardware system called Cellebrite UFED. The ACLU suggested that state troopers were using the UFED during routine traffic stops. While the $4,000-8,000 price tag of the systems would suggest it's unlikely that many cops have the systems in their cars, even the possibility of such a practice has got to set Fourth Amendment alarm bells ringing from here to 1791. Here's a word of advice: if a law enforcement official ever asks for your phone, just say no.

In a June 2008 article, Cellebrite bragged that it had sold 3,500 Cellebrite devices in the eleven months the UFED had been on the market. Throw in other common devices from companies like Cellebrite, Parabens, Micro Systemation and Katana Forensics, makers of Lantern, and you can begin to see the scale of mobile phone data extraction that must be occurring across the nation's law enforcement landscape.>>
---

For those of you on Windows, encrypting your iPhone backups is even more important because malware get scrape all the info. (and OS X, but far less risky, I know.. whatever)

In reference to this. It sounds like the ACLU created a story that wasn't there.
http://www.networkworld.com/Micronet images/smith-mich-police-statement.png

http://www.wjr.net/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=34613&ID=2167081

phaggard

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
This thread is exactly what is wrong with this world these days. Everyone is insulting each other without knowing each other and arguing over if data tracking on a cell phone is detroying our way of life.

Why can't we all share our thougts on this topic and try to understand the others way of thinking without degrading each other with hatred.

Have you ever cussed out someone on the freeway for doing something that seemed stupid or crazy and then find out it was a good friend that wouldn't hurt a fly.

GonzagaDynasty

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Not a big deal.

1. I could care less if someone can tell where I have been. I don't really go anywhere that I need to hide from anyone else.

2. If I do need to be stealthy and secretive... I am smart enough to know that you need to leave more then your cell phone at home.

I'm glad some people have sense...

Some people are either doing some seriously terrible things that they don't even want some kid working at Apple to know about... or they need to put some more tinfoil on their heads.

Apple can watch we take a dump for all I care. I'm not hiding anything.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I'm glad some people have sense...

Some people are either doing some seriously terrible things that they don't even want some kid working at Apple to know about... or they need to put some more tinfoil on their heads.

Apple can watch we take a dump for all I care. I'm not hiding anything.

Lol... does anyone honestly think that cell phone company's / manufactures cannot track their cell phones? All the time or some of the time does it make a difference if you cannot control it? Think about 911, wouldn't it suck if they didn't know where you were? Idk... my 2 cents

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Isn't there something in the rules against posting like a billion times in a row?

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
This thread is exactly what is wrong with this world these days. Everyone is insulting each other without knowing each other and arguing over if data tracking on a cell phone is detroying our way of life.

Agreed, but his attitude is what really started it. I posted my opinion and he attacked me for it.

Why can't we all share our thougts on this topic and try to understand the others way of thinking without degrading each other with hatred.

Human nature... It keeps life interesting.

Have you ever cussed out someone on the freeway for doing something that seemed stupid or crazy and then find out it was a good friend that wouldn't hurt a fly.

Nope... I don't get angry when I get cut off, I just hope the person that is driving crazy doesn't hurt someone else.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm pretty sure they're on it now.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
... And, in other news, if you turn off Location Services in your iPhone (a fairly simple thing to do), all such automatic tracking of location stops immediately.

Don't want to be tracked? The solution is simple enough: Turn off Location Services. It cannot be turned back on without your knowledge and consent.

Want to use map-based applications? The compromise is clear and straightforward: As long as you make use of such applications, your history of movements will be tracked, logged, and perhaps automatically transmitted back to Apple at regular intervals. This tracking and "phoning-home" system is actually the mechanism Apple uses to build and maintain its database of publicly visible WiFi hotspots and cell towers, for use to speed up future GPS locks on other GPS-enabled iOS devices, and to provide a rough estimate of location for non-cellular and non-GPS iOS devices such as the iPod touch.

Think of it as akin to the fleet of WiFi "sniffing" vans that recently made the news from Google -- except, in this case, Apple is recruiting its own customers to build the database without needing to send any paid employees out to do the data collection. Apple couldn't care less about tracking the individual locations of each of its customers -- Apple is actually only interested in the locations of the publicly accessible wireless base stations (cell towers and WiFi access points) which happen to occasionally appear within each iPhone's general vicinity.

Last edited:

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
You need to do a little more homework as turning off location services does NOT stop this!:mad:

Apple filed a legal affidavit saying that turning off location services DOES stop this. If they are lying, I'm sure it will come out in court.

If it really is as easy as you say for a 3rd party to extract the cache of any data that's already been collected (presumably while location services are turned on), I would tend to agree that Apple ought to do a better job of encrypting the local cache to prevent 3rd parties from obtaining access to that information. That's all I'm presently prepared to concede.

Last edited:

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I don't have an iPhone; I only have a lowly iPod touch. So it is totally dependent on consuming all that location data Apple's been collecting because it cannot independently generate location data of its own. Therefore, I suppose I directly benefit from my iPhone-equipped cousins' subjugation to location-leaching.

Last edited by a moderator:

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I, too, have done MY thinking. I wish to have the ability to REALLY turn it off.

In that case, rather than guess wildly and post a whole bunch of unsubstantiated claims, how about you do a little experiment:

1) Make sure that Location Services starts out globally shut off and blocked from all Apps.
2) Figure out how to delete the cache so you can start out with a blank slate.
3) Go about your daily routine for a week or so.
4) Figure out how to read the cache, and check to see if it remained as empty as it was back in step 2.

5) Report the results back here.

If the cache continued building up data even though Location Services was shut off, then there's cause for concern, and as I've stated above, I'll be willing to re-evaluate my conclusions. If the cache remained empty, then you're no closer to proving that your concerns are justifiable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.