Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I can't believe I just did this! I baby all of my Apple products, and this is totally out of character.
I had my laptop in an incase sleeve when it dropped onto the right corner from about 1.5 feet. it was all good except for a small dent, until about three days later. Now it won't charge.
I unscrewed the computer and removed the top. It looks like the corner that is dented is pressing against the battery(I've enclosed pictures).
Do I have any chance of just taking the battery out and manoeuvring the aluminum to the right spots?
How much will it cost to repair if I can't fix it? Any chance at all that it might be covered(I have AppleCare, but I know its a longshot)?
Pictures of the damage:
38e085fe.jpg

066efbd9.jpg

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple's warranty and AppleCare do not cover damage from accidents; only manufacturing defects.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
But do you guys think it's worth the effort to remove the battery and try to push the aluminum into the right place? The warranty sticker was already disconnected because apple had to tamper with the battery for my last repair.
If you think it might be possible(even with a lot of effort) I'll buy a tri-wing screwdriver and try it.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
But do you guys think it's worth the effort to remove the battery and try to push the aluminum into the right place? The warranty sticker was already disconnected because apple had to tamper with the battery for my last repair.
If you think it might be possible(even with a lot of effort) I'll buy a tri-wing screwdriver and try it.

why not? ... you got nothing to lose ... just be careful

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Ouch that a good size dent. Have you tried the basics on resetting the SMC and PRAM. Its worth a shot. As for the damage looks like you need to replace the top cover. I did this on my current MBP and let me tell you that if you plan on doing this you have to almost completely remove the whole insides of the computer to replace the top. I ordered my top assembly from Here I hope this helps. Also if you plan on taking it apart iFixit has great repair guides..

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Ouch that a good size dent. Have you tried the basics on resetting the SMC and PRAM. Its worth a shot. As for the damage looks like you need to replace the top cover. I did this on my current MBP and let me tell you that if you plan on doing this you have to almost completely remove the whole insides of the computer to replace the top. I ordered my top assembly from Here I hope this helps. Also if you plan on taking it apart iFixit has great repair guides..

Your link doesn't work(at least on iPad). I did try to smc reset, but the computer died while it was booting up. I'm pretty screwed now.
If I pull the battery's power supply from the logic board and use the MagSafe, will it run? Is there any danger in doing it?
Edit: I got the link to work the second time.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Your link doesn't work(at least on iPad). I did try to smc reset, but the computer died while it was booting up. I'm pretty screwed now.
If I pull the battery's power supply from the logic board and use the MagSafe, will it run? Is there any danger in doing it?
Edit: I got the link to work the second time.

I don't know why it didn't work but the site is called usedmac.com. As for the battery issue yes you can remove it and use the charger to power it up. What model MBP do you have? As I do have an extra top casing that I replaced on my 13" MBP.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I don't know why it didn't work but the site is called usedmac.com. As for the battery issue yes you can remove it and use the charger to power it up. What model MBP do you have? As I do have an extra top casing that I replaced on my 13" MBP.

I'm on a 17". I tried running without the battery and it didn't work.
When I say not charging, I mean that the MagSafe doesn't light up, and the computer won't charge. I had this exact same issue before on this same computer.
Does it mean that the battery isn't at fault?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I'm on a 17". I tried running without the battery and it didn't work.
When I say not charging, I mean that the MagSafe doesn't light up, and the computer won't charge. I had this exact same issue before on this same computer.
Does it mean that the battery isn't at fault?

Put the battery back in and plug charger back in to the machine. Reset the smc and wait 5 seconds then try powering on the unit.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Yes it just needs to have the MagSafe plugged into the machine when you do the reset. Just you wait 5 to 10 seconds before you push the power button

The problem is that the computer isn't recognizing the MagSafe, or the MagSafe is broken and the battery isn't. I have no other macs or power packs to test. :(

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
The problem is that the computer isn't recognizing the MagSafe, or the MagSafe is broken and the battery isn't. I have no other macs or power packs to test. :(

I had a similar problem with my MBP as it would not charge and no light in the MagSafe. I did these steps and it worked.

1. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
2. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
3. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. Wait 5 to 10 seconds
Press the power button to turn on the computer. *

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I had a similar problem with my MBP as it would not charge and no light in the MagSafe. I did these steps and it worked.

1. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
2. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
3. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. Wait 5 to 10 seconds
Press the power button to turn on the computer. *

Didn't work. I got the residual battery to reboot the computer, and the time was back in 2000, so the smc did reset, but the problem persists.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Didn't work. I got the residual battery to reboot the computer, and the time was back in 2000, so the smc did reset, but the problem persists.

Oh you might want to check your magsafe to see if all the pins are showing on the end itself. Iv'e noticed sometimes the pins stick in the charger. You might want to give apple a call to see if they can help at all, it's worth a try. Other then that I'm out of ideas...

DePaulBlueDemon

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
At this point you have nothing to lose. Apple will no longer honor the warranty since all future problems that may arise could have been caused by this huge dent. As such, you can mess with it all you want.

PwcrLinux

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Hello there!,

Damage coverage only available at Best Buy store.. It's good protection from accidental damage and handling.. That's why the apple doesn't offers from accidental damage..

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'm working on getting the dent out. It's a slow process, but I'm definitely making progress.
Here's some update photos after about 45 minutes of tedious hammering(screwdriver through washcloth to protect from puncturing).
288a7c93.jpg

f4eb3308.jpg

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I took it to Apple, and they didn't even notice the dent. They just gave me a new MagSafe which has made my computer work again. The problem is that the computer superheats magsafes causing them not to work.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I took it to Apple, and they didn't even notice the dent. They just gave me a new MagSafe which has made my computer work again. The problem is that the computer superheats magsafes causing them not to work.

Great to see you got it working again!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.