Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the review, more introduction to GoodPlayer http://iphoneapp-promocodes.com/appinfo-2310.html

GoodPlayer Description
No need to convert the media files before playing it, GoodPlayer can
play AVI, Xvid, Divx, WMV ,MKV, RM, RMVB, AC3 etc... files directly on iOS
devices. Just transfer the media files to your iOS devices by iTunes
File Sharing or over Wi-Fi, then it can be played at once.

Features:
-swipe fingers to up and down on playing, to change the subtitle or
turn off subtitle on the fly (for media files with subtitles)
-swipe fingers to left and right on playing, to change the audio track
on the fly (for media files with multiple audio tracks)
-TV out/VGA out support ( for iPad & iPhone 4 & iPod Touch 4 only, please
note iPod plugin playing in application does not support TV-out, only
native application playing support TV-out, and also please note that iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3 do not support TV/VGA-out feature)
-Universal, supports iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
-srt subtitle supported
-mkv embedded subtitle supported
-kinds of subtitle language encoding method supported
-24 bits true color, no color information missed
-Easy file deletion, swipe left/right in the file list to delete the media file
-"Open In" feature supported: open video and audio files from Mail email attachments and Safari web browser
-3gp,aac,ape,asf,avi,divx,dv,f4v,flac,flv,
gxf,m2p,m2ts,m2v,m4v,m4r,m4a,mkv,moov,
mov,mp3,mp4,mpeg,mpeg1,mpeg2,mpeg4,mpg,
mpv,mt2s,mts,mxf,ogg,ogm,ogv,ps,qt,rm,
rmvb,tp,ts,vob,webm,wm,wma,wav,wmv
file formats supported
-Resume from last played position
-Subtitle font, font size and font color customization supported
-AC-3 5.1 audio supported, downmixing multiple audio channels to a stereo output for iDevice playing back

Please note:
1. for iPad, it is strongly suggested that upgrading from iOS 3.x to iOS 4.x, this will give a GoodPlayer application big performance boost.
2. If uploading files by Wi-Fi makes the application exit, change into a different browser client and upload again.
3. After uploading media files by iTunes File Sharing, if the new uploaded files are not in the list, just change into "Wi-Fi" or "Setting" view then change back to "GoodPlayer", the new uploaded files will be listed.
4. If the files would not show up in the GoodPlayer library even after the above switching back and forth between WiFi and Setting suggestion tried, please reboot the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad one time to try again.
5. This application need Cortex-A8 or Cortex-A9 CPU for installation and running. For the special iPod Touch 3 8GB model, please double check the CPU requirements.

Reviews from customers:
"First of all I would like to congratulate you on making an excellent product!
I have tested quite a few of the various play-all formats media players in the App store, but the picture quality, sharpness and depth of field of the GoodPlayer is so far the best video player.
Much better than other players ... , to name but a few." - by Richard

"VLC media player replacement
Works very well for it's intended purpose. Love being able to watch stuff that I couldn't put on my iPhone before." - by Goblu57

Updates in 1.3 Version:
1. AC3 support improved, AC-3 5.1 audio supported, downmixing multiple audio channels to a stereo output for iDevice playing back
2. f4v and tp file formats support added

Updates in 1.2 Version:
1. Performance improved, much faster than the older versions
2. Subtitle font, font size and font color customization
3. UI improved, add icons to the media file list

Updates in 1.1 Version:
1. "Open In" feature supported: open video and audio files from Mail email attachments and Safari web browser
2. vob,ape,flac,wma,wav,aac etc. more media file formats supported

Last edited:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer upgraded to 1.4
What's New in Version 1.4
1. HTTP, RTSP,MMS,MMSH,RTP and UDP streaming playback supported, not only just a local movie player anymore, now it is also a network streaming media player.
2. goodplayer:// URL scheme supported
3. A stability bug fixed, thanks Jeff for the test files
4. Auto repeat playback current file switch added, the default is off.
5. Add a refresh button to the file list bar, after the iTunes File Sharing file copy, press the refresh button to reload the file list
6. Sub-directory/folder creation supported
7. Media files list changed to case insensitive order
8. Next file and previous file playback supported
9. French localization supported, thanks Pierre for the translation
10. Simplified Chinese localization supported

nickbarbs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Goodplayer doesnt seem to resume for me, from last location on any clips. If I switch to another app and go back to goodplayer i have to start the clip over again.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
I tested as you described, and found out that for the GoodPlayer to remember resume point, the "Done" button must be pressed.

Press "Done" button on the playing and come back to play, it will resume from last location.
If "Done" button is not pressed, the situation is as you described.

Goodplayer doesnt seem to resume for me, from last location on any clips. If I switch to another app and go back to goodplayer i have to start the clip over again.

nickbarbs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
I tested as you described, and found out that for the GoodPlayer to remember resume point, the "Done" button must be pressed.

Press "Done" button on the playing and come back to play, it will resume from last location.
If "Done" button is not pressed, the situation is as you described.

Thanks for the Tip- I'll check it out tonight when i get home.

I like Goodplayer because of the AC3 support, which for some reason CineX doesnt do, but good god is the UI ugly / incomplete.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 1.5 just released
What's New in Version 1.5
1. Wi-Fi file uploading stability issue fixed
2. ac3, mp1, mp2 and oga file formats support added

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
from a quick look, the .vob files i have in me test set still won't play sound. More than any other thing in my tests, this is the big minus for GoodPlayet, as they represent files ripped straight off a dvd.

(i remain unfond of the icons in the file list,..they're an uneeded element, but that's neither here nor there.)

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
vob&mpg no sound issue will be fixed in the 1.6 version.
We will submit 1.6 version days later.
And besides that, 1.6 version comes with great Realvideo(rm,rmvb) performance improvements, and also performance improvements on AC-3 audio related media files.
Thanks, VideoBeagle, your video player testing report is great! :)

from a quick look, the .vob files i have in me test set still won't play sound. More than any other thing in my tests, this is the big minus for GoodPlayet, as they represent files ripped straight off a dvd.

(i remain unfond of the icons in the file list,..they're an uneeded element, but that's neither here nor there.)

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I got it from the promocodes link. I have almost exclusively .avi files and it has been great for those - but it is in desperate need of Dropbox integration. The current wifi transfer is awkward and slow (I have to point my browser to an IP address, really?). Maybe it was worse before 1.5, but it's still bad compared to Dropbox.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
porcupine8, I got the feedback on App Store review.
But I am not very clear what you asked for the Dropbox integration.
Here is a guess on Dropbox integration, GoodPlayer app has the build-in Dropbox login, then playback streaming media directly from Dropbox. Is this what you asked.

For feature request and bug report, App Store review is not a great place. We need some details sometime, please give us details by support email service@hustmobile.com
We read and reply to the feedback emails. Thanks for the feedback.

I got it from the promocodes link. I have almost exclusively .avi files and it has been great for those - but it is in desperate need of Dropbox integration. The current wifi transfer is awkward and slow (I have to point my browser to an IP address, really?). Maybe it was worse before 1.5, but it's still bad compared to Dropbox.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
porcupine8, I got the feedback on App Store review.
But I am not very clear what you asked for the Dropbox integration.
Here is a guess on Dropbox integration, GoodPlayer app has the build-in Dropbox login, then playback streaming media directly from Dropbox. Is this what you asked.

For feature request and bug report, App Store review is not a great place. We need some details sometime, please give us details by support email service@hustmobile.com
We read and reply to the feedback emails. Thanks for the feedback.

If there is a place to log into Dropbox from GoodPlayer, you have hidden it very well. I have gone through every button and screen I can find, and there is no mention of Dropbox at all. Nor is it mentioned in the help file, where only two ways of adding files to GoodPlayer are described. I tried inputting the exact DB URL of the file into the GP browser, and that didn't do anything either. So I am just stumped.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Now GoodPlayer does not support dropbox.
What I typed in my last post is a guess to your dropbox feature request.Is my guess right?
If there is a place to log into Dropbox from GoodPlayer, you have hidden it very well. I have gone through every button and screen I can find, and there is no mention of Dropbox at all. Nor is it mentioned in the help file, where only two ways of adding files to GoodPlayer are described. I tried inputting the exact DB URL of the file into the GP browser, and that didn't do anything either. So I am just stumped.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 1.6 released.

What's New in Version 1.6
1. A new application icon
2. DVD LPCM Audio (lpcm) support added, this fixed some VOB/MPG files no sound issue. Thanks VideoBeagle for GoodPlayer review report and test files.
3. Performance improved for media files with AC-3 audio, now 720P AVI file (1280x720 AVI/MPEG-4 video/AC-3 audio) can be played back smoothly on iPad 1st Generation. Please note for the 720P test result, it is with MPEG-4 video, not with the H.264/AVC video
4. RealVideo (RM, RMVB) playback performance improved greatly

yonan32

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Now GoodPlayer does not support dropbox.
What I typed in my last post is a guess to your dropbox feature request.Is my guess right?

I also request a Dropbox integration feature:
1. Ability to browse my Dropbox from Goodplayer and choose the video to play
2. Option to "Open in Goodplayer" from Dropbox app.

PS: I specifically register to MacRumors just to reply to this thread :) Was browsing the App Store for media players, found Goodplayer, then googled around and found this thread, which discuss the exact same thing that I was thinking..

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.

PS: I specifically register to MacRumors just to reply to this thread :) Was browsing the App Store for media players, found Goodplayer, then googled around and found this thread, which discuss the exact same thing that I was thinking..

If you look in my other thread, you'll find reviews of other video apps.
I haven't done a full test of the newest update, but I did check if mpg2/vob files had sound, and sure enough they do. With that working, I tentatively say GoodPlayer is the best video app out for the iPad. (hustmobile often posts free codes on the promo code board, so it's worth grabbing for free if nothing else, but it's price is certainly low enough)

As for Dropbox, it does show up in the OPEN IN... menu in dropbox. {I've tried 2 files...1 worked..1 got weird...but I stress I haven't really looked at it yet (and the master file could be messed up)..it was more just a "can it do this" test, not comprehensive yet.}

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
I purchased this app as it seems like it could be very useful. I successfully downloaded a WMV file using the Wi-Fi method. It was straightforward, though a progress indicator on the iPad side would be useful. It took quitting Goodplayer and restarting to get the downloaded file to show up in the list. The WMV file played, so that is wonderful.

I'm confused about "folders". I can make and delete folders, but I can't figure out how to move the WMV file into the folder. None of the usual iOS techniques (dragging, swiping) work.

There is a lot of great potential in this app and I'm happy to support it. I really like the minimalist UI and I don't need many more features, but I would encourage full Dropbox integration. I think this would make GoodPlayer a "must-have" app for many people.

Last edited:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
yonan32,
Thanks for the feedback.
About #1 "Ability to browse my Dropbox from Goodplayer ": We will add browse and download ability to GoodPlayer in the future
About #2 "Open in" support: this "Open in"feature needs both sides support it, for GoodPlayer part, its task is completed, we can only add more file format "Open in" support, such as we will add srt file format "Open in" support in the 1.8 version. The other parts depend on Dropbox app, Dropbox app must do something to let 3rd app "Open in" from it. We still have no time to test Dropbox app. As Video Beagle said, Dropbox app maybe support this. We will tested it soon. Thanks Video Beagle again.

GoodPlayer English online help http://www.hustmobile.com/goodplayer/index.html
#11 Is "Open in" feature support other applications other than Safari and Mail?
Yes. But it is up to other applications to support this feature also. This feature needs both sides support it.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Pete,
Thanks for the feedback.
1. "It took quitting Goodplayer and restarting to get the downloaded file to show up in the list. ", this issue was fixed in the coming 1.7 version.
2. "but I can't figure out how to move the WMV file into the folder", for the current version, the only way to put files into a folder is to upload it by Wifi. However the coming 1.7 version comes with ability moving file from folder to folder inside of app.
The 1.7 version GoodPlayer was submitted to App Store for review days ago. Please wait for it.

3. Dropbox integration, we will work on it in the future.
4. this would make Goodreader a "must-have" app for many people: Goodreader...:) We are GoodPlayer people

I purchased this app as it seems like it could be very useful. I successfully downloaded a WMV file using the Wi-Fi method. It was straightforward, though a progress indicator on the iPad side would be useful. It took quitting Goodplayer and restarting to get the downloaded file to show up in the list. The WMV file played, so that is wonderful.

I'm confused about "folders". I can make and delete folders, but I can't figure out how to move the WMV file into the folder. None of the usual iOS techniques (dragging, swiping) work.

There is a lot of great potential in this app and I'm happy to support it. I really like the minimalist UI and I don't need many more features, but I would encourage full Dropbox integration. I think this would make Goodreader a "must-have" app for many people.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
About "Option to "Open in Goodplayer" from Dropbox app.", here is my simple testing result:
1. The latest 1.4 Dropbox app tested
2. It is up to Dropbox and the file format now for the "Open in" support
3. Four file formats tested so far, .3gp,.avi,.mp3 and .flv
4. Two possiblities for the "Open in": .3gp,.avi and .mp3 file formats are taken over by the Dropbox app itself, so "Open in" is not possible for GoodPlayer; the .flv file first will be downloaded by Dropbox app , when the download is completed, the GoodPlayer has the choice to "Open in" the flv file.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 1.7 released

What's New in Version 1.7
1. Built-in file manager added: move files from folder to folder inside of app,file,delete,file rename,folder creation,folder delete
2. "There’s no media files in GoodPlayer library" after file uploading issue fixed
3. Ignore the iOS device Mute button status,it fixes the "No Volume Available" issue
4. "idx+sub" format subtitle supported
5. smi format subtitle supported
6. Support improved on folder name with non-ASCII characters

Last edited:

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
Lots of handy new features in GoodPlayer 1.7 update. I appreciate the file system to keep things organized. My spouse has a lot of sports videos in FLV format. I just showed her how to transfer them to GoodPlayer and watch them on the iPad! This is much quicker and more convenient than converting them.

This app is going to interest my work colleagues who, like me, show videos using an iPad and projector and also struggle with having videos in the "wrong" format :cool:. We will be playing with GoodPlayer tomorrow morning.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
About HDMI adapter, we only tried the VGA-out/TV-out on iPad 1, so no HDMI tested, but HDMI should be okay for TV-out.

About full screen mode, in the future the GoodPlayer will support full screen from corner to corner. We are working on it.
Now GoodPlayer only support fill to full screen mode, we will add support for crop to full screen mode.

Will GoodPlayer output in full screen over the HDMI adapter?

(I mean real full screen...ie: if it's an HD video, it should fill from corner to corner)

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
About HDMI adapter, we only tried the VGA-out/TV-out on iPad 1, so no HDMI tested, but HDMI should be okay for TV-out.

About full screen mode, in the future the GoodPlayer will support full screen from corner to corner. We are working on it.
Now GoodPlayer only support fill to full screen mode, we will add support for crop to full screen mode.

Well regardless, with quick support like this, I'm happy to support you with my $2.99. Thanks! Just picked it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.