Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I've MRoogled but have been unable to get a definitive answer so I thought I'd ask here.

My default is to keep my MBA 13" ultimate plugged in while in use.

I hear so many contradictory things about what "should" be done.

Is this behavior fine or should I be running down the battery every few days?
How many battery cycles are these supposed to have anyway?

Thanks!

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Essentially, every 2-3 days run it down to 50%. Also, good practice to run it down completely and recalibrate once a month.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
There is no good answer because it doesn't matter. Batteries can be replaced, lost productivity and wasted effort carefully trying to maintain a battery cannot.

I kind of subscribe to this theory.
Even with the poorest "battery" care, how much efficiency/life do you lose on the battery? 10%?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I never took any particular care of my battery, using it with or without charger as it was most convenient for me (only recalibrating once in a while) and its still at 97% of the initial capacity after 16 month and 540 loadcycles. So: don't worry, just use your computer - it will be ok.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Is this good or bad for a 2 week old refurbished 13" MBA?

Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 6362
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6542
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 11
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1577
Voltage (mV): 8163

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Is this good or bad for a 2 week old refurbished 13" MBA?

Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 6362
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6542
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 11
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1577
Voltage (mV): 8163

I don't know what program you used to pull that up, but if you just download and use 'coconut battery' it will show you the original battery capacity and the current battery capacity. For instance, on my macbook pro, the original battery capacity was 4600 mAh, and the current is now 4337 mAh, so it's at 94% of it's original health. (coconut battery gives you that percentage of original health as well)

Coconut battery also lets you know the number of battery loadcycles you've gone through as well. It tells me I've gone through 153.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
There is no good answer because it doesn't matter. Batteries can be replaced, lost productivity and wasted effort carefully trying to maintain a battery cannot.

I'm all for productivity but that theory is stretched mighty thin here. I'm not sure how much productivity he's going to lose by taking his left hand and pulling the magsafe connector out every once in a while. It literally takes <2 seconds. You don't have to be all OCD about the maintenance. How many times would you have to do that to equal the time it would take to order a new battery pack and replace it? Not to mention unplugging the magsafe is free, a new battery isn't.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
that FAQS should tell you pretty much everything

but this is what i do with my 4 year old MBP ( 2007 )

i usually use it until the battery warning pops up for me to charge it back, then when it's fully charged, i might leave it for another1/2 hour before i unplug it

and i usually do calibration every 2 months or so ( running the MBP until the battery reaches critical and goes to sleep, then charge it )

and so far, i can still manage a good 2 1/2 hours with my Original Battery that came with it from 2007

but i think since that time, Apple should have improve the battery that when it's fully charged, it actually doesn't really receive the full power anymore so your battery will not really washed out that quick like used to in 2007 product

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I never took any particular care of my battery, using it with or without charger as it was most convenient for me (only recalibrating once in a while) and its still at 97% of the initial capacity after 16 month and 540 loadcycles. So: don't worry, just use your computer - it will be ok.

I agree...too much wasted time massaging batteries.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
just leave it plugged in, cycling it once a month is all the maintenance you need and is more than I can say I do

bri1232001

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011

Srsly?

60 cycles here
93% initial capacity.

Just recalibrated too.
:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.