Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pusarf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
I have jpegs of a book that I need to put into one pdf file so that it can be more easily transfered... i have found that adobe has a program that has the possible ability to do this, but i dont have access to it and i was looking for a much more simple way to do this... please help

-aaron

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
jsw said:
Duff-Man says....easy...paste the jpg's into Preview, then in the "print" function use the "save as pdf" choice.....oh yeah!

edit...oops....maybe not so easy....can't seem to insert multiple jpg's....

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....easy...paste the jpg's into Preview, then in the "print" function use the "save as pdf" choice.....oh yeah!

Yep, you got it! Many people don't realize that you can convert/save anything as a PDF if you go to the Print function. It's quite handy!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sorry, but I nearly OD'd on stupid pills this morning:

I understand how to print to PDF, but I don't understand how to paste multiple JPEGs into Preview at once and print them all to one PDF, as the original poster wanted to do. I can convert them one at a time, but I can't get more than one to print. When I try to open multiple JPEG's, they open as separate pieces and won't print together. For whatever reason, I am unable to figure out how to combine them.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Scottyk9 said:
...hey maybe we are overthinking this. Just drag and drop into TextEdit and print to pdf.
Duff-Man says...that is what I thought, and I tried with Textedit - it of course seems to work okay too but it didn't work with a couple of really large jpg's I tried.....oh yeah!

altoidboy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2003
Easy way to do it in Preview:

1. Open all JPG's (or PNG's, or other graphics files) in Preview.
2. Make sure sidebar (showing thumbnails of each page) is visible.
3. Make sure order of JPG's is correct (if not, drag them into the order you want).
4. Select all thumbnails (shift-click is an easy way).
5. File > Print Selected Images (caution: NOT just "Print" but "Print Selected Images"
6. Lower left corner > Save as PDF.

Done!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Doesn't mean there aren't other people around looking for a solution to this. I just landed here from Google, so thanks altoidboy, saved me a lot of time.

Very valid comment. If people a landing here from Google/search engines, adding to a thread with new ideas is quite a valid reason. :)

ericdorsey

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
This solution from hints.macworld.com worked great for me (using Preview)

In OS X, the easiest way is to open the images in Preview, click in the thumbnail tray, choose Edit->Select All, then File->Print Selected Items. In the print dialog, choose the PDF button, then select the Save as PDF-X item. You'll be asked where to save the file, and you're done.

** Make sure you don't just hit File -> Print, it has to be "File -> Print Selected Items" and you must have previously selected (command A) all the thumbnails in the "side tray" in Preview.

HTH

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090119162659107

pkoch

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Be sure to print. Export results in a much larger file.

Last edited:

Rayne Man

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Multiple JPG's to PDF

Thanks altoidboy, there or not.
Your suggestion was so simple and direct, it worked like a charm.
I agree with cjedJ and MacTech68 that even if a member is not around, the post that they leave help anyone looking for a solution, now or later.

PA650

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Thank you all for the input--what I pieced together and worked like a charm
1. open jpegs in preview
2. Open thumbnail
3. drag and drop into one preview file
4. print as pdf

I was unable to use "select all" or shift/click function to grab all thumbnails across multiple open jpeg files. drag and drop works if not moving large amounts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.