Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumorsmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
I updated my iPad I feel like it's running slower now.... Are you supposed to have anti virus protection and if so what do you recommend?

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
The only way you can get an iPad virus right now is that you dont update your firmware and by jailbreaking it and then like 1 in a billion chance, you download something from cydia and you get infected!

The virus that rumored to exist is actually an iPhone virus that infects iPad because it runs the same iOS.

So no, no viruses. Restore. Or maybe the current iPad firmware has issues/bugs(I dont know cos i dont have one)...

donaldcarter55

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
I updated my iPad I feel like it's running slower now.... Are you supposed to have anti virus protection and if so what do you recommend?

No, no it doesn't.

It's not impossible for someone to create a virus for the iPad, and if you jailbreak and aren't careful (like leaving your SSH password as "alpine"), it's possible you can get infected. However, an iPad is so heavily locked down that especially if you don't jailbreak, there's incredibly little a virus can do. It also won't get allowed past the App Store verification process.

It's also possible to get a virus on a Mac. Hell, it's POSSIBLE to get one on Linux! The difference is, virus coders know that Windows is by far the most widely used operating system, and it's also the easiest to crack. So, that means they'll get more infections for less work, sounds like a perfect target to me.

I'm a programmer, have owned iOS devices, and have written experimental malicious code for all three desktop platforms and mobile systems too. (note I didn't release them!)

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
It's also possible to get a virus on a Mac. Hell, it's POSSIBLE to get one on Linux! The difference is, virus coders know that Windows is by far the most widely used operating system, and it's also the easiest to crack. So, that means they'll get more infections for less work, sounds like a perfect target to me.

This is simply not true.

To date there are ZERO virus' for OS X (not sure about linux). None. Not one. Never have been.
This is not because of lesser market share. People have tried and failed. Prizes of tens of thousands of dollars have been offered. And not collected. The huge "internet legend" status of someone who managed to write the first OS X virus would be more than enough motivation for some, and for those that hate OS X just because would love to acheive this.
This is before you look at the anti virus companies, who would LOVE there to be a geniune OS X virus so they can sell their software. They often come out with proof of concept vulnerabilities, but never a proof of concept virus.

Saying that no one is targetting OS X because Windows is a larger target is like saying no one will try and steal my Honda if there's a Ferrari parked next to it.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
That's the nice thing about a "walled-garden" ecosystem that Apple has created with the iOS devices. The App Store is pretty much the filter for anything malicious getting into the iOS ecosystem. I'd think you would be better off winning the lottery......twice......than running into a true malicious virus on an iOS device.

Not to mention, I don't even think an antivirus for iPad even exists.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
This is simply not true.

To date there are ZERO virus' for OS X (not sure about linux). None. Not one. Never have been.
This is not because of lesser market share. People have tried and failed. Prizes of tens of thousands of dollars have been offered. And not collected. The huge "internet legend" status of someone who managed to write the first OS X virus would be more than enough motivation for some, and for those that hate OS X just because would love to acheive this.
This is before you look at the anti virus companies, who would LOVE there to be a geniune OS X virus so they can sell their software. They often come out with proof of concept vulnerabilities, but never a proof of concept virus.

Saying that no one is targetting OS X because Windows is a larger target is like saying no one will try and steal my Honda if there's a Ferrari parked next to it.

The bolded sentence is false!!!!!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html

http://www.informationweek.com/news/207000434

There is NO viruses for OSX but there are trojans that exists in the wild.

Oh and never ever compare OSX to a Honda. OSX is like... a fully customized Rolls Royce but people just wouldnt steal it because its like a painting, it'll be recognized anywhere(As if the OSX is hacked but apple quickly released an update or security update to kill it right away)!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The iPad isn't even a full computer.

Quite frankly, you can't do much on the iPad outside of it's limited functions.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
The bolded sentence is false!!!!!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html

http://www.informationweek.com/news/207000434

There is NO viruses for OSX but there are trojans that exists in the wild.

Oh and never ever compare OSX to a Honda. OSX is like... a fully customized Rolls Royce but people just wouldnt steal it because its like a painting, it'll be recognized anywhere(As if the OSX is hacked but apple quickly released an update or security update to kill it right away)!

A trojan is not the same as a virus. A virus is self replicating, self spreading and self executing, without user interaction. A trojan is simply a malicious piece of software that the user has to actively install. HUGE difference. Most OS X trojans require that the user input the admin password!

My point with the car analogy is that while the Ferrari represents a bigger payout[1], no car their will ignore a lesser valued car[2], especially if it doesn't have an immobiliser[3].

[1] window. larger market share.
[2] os x. smaller market share therefore smaller perceived payout from hacking.
[3] anti virus. os x people don't run it, most windows users do.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
A trojan is not the same as a virus. A virus is self replicating, self spreading and self executing, without user interaction. A trojan is simply a malicious piece of software that the user has to actively install. HUGE difference. Most OS X trojans require that the user input the admin password!

My point with the car analogy is that while the Ferrari represents a bigger payout[1], no car their will ignore a lesser valued car[2], especially if it doesn't have an immobiliser[3].

I didnt say anywhere that a trojan is the same as a virus, i was just informing the OP that although Viruses doesnt exists for OSX, trojans do

And for the car part nvm, i get your point.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's also possible to get a virus on a Mac.
This is simply not true.
I think there's some confusion here. It IS possible to get a virus on a Mac, because Mac OS X, like every other OS, is not immune to malware. However, it's not possible to get a virus on Mac OS X at this time, since none exist. If one were to be released into the wild, it would be possible for Macs to be infected. This was true with Mac OS before OS X, and it will most likely be true again.
The market share myth is exactly that: a myth. Read a few of the existing threads on Mac malware and you'll see it proven false.

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.