Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCA90

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Hey everyone, I'm trying to export a swf file into mov, but each time I do it, and play the mov, at certain parts of the animation, a block, or piece seems to break off, and leave a stain, I guess you can call it. And when I go back to review it in Flash, i check for breaking parts just in case, but nothing, it plays fine. So I'm wondering if something is being corrupted in the export, but don't know what. Has anyone encountered this problem? Aslo, the reason I need it to be an mov, is so I can put it into a Keynote presentation. Thanks for any help.

Pedipod

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm trying to export a swf file into mov, but each time I do it, and play the mov, at certain parts of the animation, a block, or piece seems to break off, and leave a stain, I guess you can call it. And when I go back to review it in Flash, i check for breaking parts just in case, but nothing, it plays fine. So I'm wondering if something is being corrupted in the export, but don't know what. Has anyone encountered this problem? Aslo, the reason I need it to be an mov, is so I can put it into a Keynote presentation. Thanks for any help.

I'm also having a problem except I can't export into mov at all. The "Recording Flash Content" progress bar finishes in a few seconds and then it hangs, showing the "Stop" button but recording nothing. The Test Movie works fine and it exports to swf with no problem.

lauralop

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011

Hello JCA90,

I have the same problem and I was wondering how did you solve it in the end?

Thanks,

Lauralop

spellingmistake

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
I'm also having this problem & I don't want to have to pay extra for those swf to mov conversion programs.

I have a feeling that the effect is different on each export so I'm considering doing a few exports and then editing them together in premiere, a poor solution but it might work.

Does anyone even know what this problem is called? It's hard to search for solutions since I can't sum up exactly what is happening.

Any help on this much appreciated. I've attached a picture of the type of stuttered effect I'm getting.

Attachments

• Picture 20.jpg
    Picture 20.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture 19.jpg
    Picture 19.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 105

angelicali

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
I'm also having this problem, is there any way I can convert some flash files so that I can be able to import them in itunes on my new ipad and watch as videos?

Jessyel

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
If I have an SWF movie file (one that plays in Quicktime with the Perian plugin) I use MPEG StreamClip to convert it to what ever I need.

blackboxideas

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
I've had this a few times in the past - there are a few things you can try directly in CS though to hopefully improve the animation output:

• I usually get a better result if I choose to stop exporting after an elapsed time (yep, this means working out how long the movie plays for).
  • In the Quicktime export settings -> Quicktime settings -> Video Settings - you'll get better frame matching if the frame rate is the same or divisible by the frame rate of your movie.
  • Video settings again - the Animation preset is pretty good, but you could try a different compressor, like .H264 and experiment a little with the bitrate to get a good quality output.
  • I usually test a few outputs on a few seconds of the animation so I don't have to wait too long if I'm playing with bit rates - if the 'ghosting' is happening at a mid point of your animation - it might just be worth exporting to just after that point for testing purposes.

Hope this is of some help if you haven't already explored those options! Whenever it's happened to me, either frame rates or compression settings solved my woes!

edit: Also - just remembering you have Premiere, you could import the SWF into that along with the audio track and export the Quicktime/Mov through this.

Last edited:

Fordlin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Mpeg streamclip is also for OS X and windows.
Also free, unlike the sketchy software shilled by the spammers who haunt these type of threads.

Theresanisa

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Mpeg streamclip is also for OS X and windows.
Also free, unlike the sketchy software shilled by the spammers who haunt these type of threads.
I agree with you, mpegStreamclip is free. And If you are running Lion:
According to Apple the component capability is built into Lion.
Here's what the Squared 5 site says:

The installer of the MPEG-2 Playback Component may refuse to install the component in Lion. Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it.

To install the component in Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7 beta above; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion. For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion. You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.