Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poptartmonkey24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Do I want to buy Apple Care when I get my new iMac after the refresh? I'm not sure which of the four models I'll pick -- does your answer change depending on which iMac I get?

If I don't buy it when I buy the machine, how long do I have to buy it?

I've had a whole mess of Apple products before but never an iMac, so I'm hoping those of you with iMac experience have some extremely valuable input.

Thanks and Fight On.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Applecare has saved my ass a few times actually. Especially with my Mac Pro (logic board died, ram riser died, graphics card died). I clearly got a lemon but Apple always replaced the parts over the few years I had Applecare and usually within a couple days.

Not to say their computers fall apart, but you never know, and I think having that insurance is worth it.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
I have never had to use it on an iMac, but I have known those who wish they had. My sister had the logic board fail on hers after 14 months. I have on several occasions used Applecare on my Macbook Pros. It's always good to be safe, and it's not that expensive.

mackage

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
Yes, you should buy Applecare. It's alot cheaper for the iMac than the Macbook Pro.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I support the purchase of Apple Care wholeheartedly.

However, I usually wait until my first year of warranty is up to decide if I want it. Why? Because I know enough to fix most of my problems and I usually go through Apple products quickly.

The less knowledge/interest you have in fixing your problems, the more you should think about Apple Care as an early investment.

That being said, you can buy Apple Care on eBay for cheap. Just make sure they have a good reputation.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
100% worth it for the minimal cost associated.

A little known fact about AppleCare is that after three major problems (HDD, Logicboard, etc.) they replace your machine. I bought a White Macbook when they first came out in the summer of 2006 and had my third problem in the summer of 2009, brought it in and they swapped it out right there for a new, up-to-date (then) model.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
AppleCare is definitely worth the (relatively small) expence - regardless of where you live. However, as you can get it any time in the first year, there's no need to purchase it until the 11th month of ownership.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Theres only one version of AC for an iMac.
About $120 online, $40 per year.
You can buy anytime within the first year.
This information is *readily* available on the net: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applecare

Indeed, which is why he asked primarily if he should buy it, not how much it costs, if there are seperate versions of it :)confused:) and even when to buy was a minor question for him. If someone would answer his real question it's a small effort to also put in the 11th month remark, right?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
100% worth it for the minimal cost associated.

A little known fact about AppleCare is that after three major problems (HDD, Logicboard, etc.) they replace your machine. I bought a White Macbook when they first came out in the summer of 2006 and had my third problem in the summer of 2009, brought it in and they swapped it out right there for a new, up-to-date (then) model.

Did they say this was standard procedure, after three major problems they'll replace your machine?

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
Your simply buying a piece of mind, anytime I buy a product I really use & want to see around for some time I always go the extra for the protection. However, I've only needed apple care one time since owning anything apple and it was with an old iMac.

dcmachead

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Washington, DC
Highly recommended

I had a logic board go out on an iMac due to a thunderstorm just after the original warranty expired. Had it not been for AppleCare, I would have had an almost $800 repair bill.

It takes only one problem within 3 years to recoup the cost of AppleCare. It's worth it.

Poptartmonkey24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks, lvlarkkoenen, I'm glad you understand my question ;-)

I didn't know if people who had bought the cheapest iMac were less likely to buy Apple Care (since the ratio of insurance cost to product value is higher) than those who bought the most expensive iMac or somewhere in between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.