Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
:mad:So this started happening to me yesterday and it start to heat up and I payed no attention so i turned it off and on, it went away. So now I'm using it and it started over heating but what's weird is that it's only half of the iPad, the half where the magnets for the smart cover attaches.

Maybe it's the battery?

Is anyone else experiencing this or is it only mine?

16bg iPad2 white model.:mad:

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
great

ugh okay thanks for the help anyways. looks like iwill wait for an update just incase if theirs a bug fix.:mad:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
:mad:So this started happening to me yesterday and it start to heat up and I payed no attention so i turned it off and on, it went away. So now I'm using it and it started over heating but what's weird is that it's only half of the iPad, the half where the magnets for the smart cover attaches.

Maybe it's the battery?

So if you didn't leave it in the care with the sun shining on it (or similar things), I would return it right away to the AppStore (assuming it can be easily reproduced, but even if not, its worth a shot) - you payed good money for it, you should get it replaced if something is wrong.

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
So if you didn't leave it in the care with the sun shining on it (or similar things), I would return it right away to the AppStore (assuming it can be easily reproduced, but even if not, its worth a shot) - you payed good money for it, you should get it replaced if something is wrong.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
i didnt leave it on the sun i also didnt have any apps open all i was doing was listening to music . but i will wait on an update to see if it gets fixed because i have my name engraved and i dont want to lose that.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
I haven't heard rampant reports of overheating, so it's probably not a software bug that can be updated.

You iPad is under warranty, you should take it in to get it replaced. And they will most likely give you an engraved one back. :):):):):):):):)

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
but i want to see if its a bug or something .

We get that you're mad. No need for all the overblown emphasis. No one here is at fault. As for the overheating, it'd be pretty hard for it to be a software issue. Unless you've got some rogue piece of software gone haywire (unlikely since you've rebooted it, I believe?), it's more likely hardware related.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
ugh okay thanks for the help anyways. looks like iwill wait for an update just incase if theirs a bug fix.:mad:

This might not be a bug but rather a broken machine issue. E.g., malfunctioning temperature sensors, batteries, etc.

If I were you, I'd head over to an Apple Store or call Apple Care and get the device replaced. Why wait?

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
but i want to see if its a bug or something . plus my ipad is engraved.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't think it's a bug because if it is, a lot more people will be having the same issue you're having. I don't have issues with mine at all.

So you're not going to exchange it just yet because you have your name engraved on it. Well, maybe you can strike a deal with Apple and if they give you a replacement device, ask them to engrave it because that's what you had, otherwise it's not called an exchange.

On the other hand, if you can't find a way to get an iPad 2 with your name engraved on it, then go to a jeweller who can engrave your iPad 2 for you. It's not that expensive to do it, though of course I can also understand if you don't want to pay yet again for engraving.

Coconutai

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same overheating issue. It started this morning, all ofthe sudden the half where u attach the magnet started getting hot.

I tried resetting it and the problem didn't go away...

I bought this iPad 264G wifi in the states and now I'm in Seoul. I wonder wat I should do abt this.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same overheating issue. It started this morning, all ofthe sudden the half where u attach the magnet started getting hot.

I bought this iPad 264G wifi in the states and now I'm in Seoul. I wonder wat I should do abt this.

return it....

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Hi,

EXAAAAACTTTTLYYYYYYY:eek:

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
No really, you should both return your iPads. I've had mine for two months and it's never even gotten the slightest bit warm, even in a case all the time. You have a defective unit, engraved or not.

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
Another one with an apparent heating issue.

This being my first iPad, I assumed that the warmth generated on the magnet side was "normal". It is not hot to the touch, merely warm.

Guess I will take your good advice and call Apple Care.

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
Thought I would provide an update in case it helps somebody else.

The warmth issue remained, but then while charging it and using the iPad 2 at the same time, the magnet side got hot!

The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away so I called Apple Care and they believe it may be a bad battery. The box arrived today and I am sending it in for repair or replacement, depending on what they find.

They have been great. The downside: I will be without this incredible piece of technology that has become an indispensable part of my life. Who knew!

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Thought I would provide an update in case it helps somebody else.

The warmth issue remained, but then while charging it and using the iPad 2 at the same time, the magnet side got hot!

The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away so I called Apple Care and they believe it may be a bad battery. The box arrived today and I am sending it in for repair or replacement, depending on what they find.

They have been great. The downside: I will be without this incredible piece of technology that has become an indispensable part of my life. Who knew!

So far it only has happened to me like 2 times, so I think I'm just going to see if it happens more often and idf it doesn't then I'm going to the apple store. But so far it's been pretty good. Just little backlight bleeding but barely noticeable, I also got the insurance or "protection plan" so I think I'm covered :)

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I wish I had an Apple Store within 200 miles. I say this because sending it in for repair has been nothing short of a nightmare continuing.

First, I enclosed a note explaining what I have been experiencing. They received it in the morning, and 6 hours later updated the repair order with the words "Unable to duplicate issue. Returning to owner".

Secondly, the package was supposed to have been shipping back to me on the 22nd. It is now the 24th. FedEx never received the shipment, and Apple has no clue where the package is.

So, when and IF I ever get the iPad2 back in my hands, we will know if the issue remains.

Extremely discouraged right now.

UPDATE: Apple/Fed Ex is still searching for the package. The additional bad news is that my iPad2 should have been handed over to the "safety department" for investigation and repair. It was not. So, now they are saying that if/when I receive the iPad2, I have to call in and speak to a "Senior Adviser" to make arrangements to SEND IT BACK IN yet again.

A number of things were said in this latest conversation but the one that stands out is that if I could haven taken it in to an Apple Store Genius Bar and they could have felt how hot it gets, it would have been swapped out on the spot.

Unbelievable first repair experience with Apple. Extremely disappointed.

Last edited:

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I wish I had an Apple Store within 200 miles. I say this because sending it in for repair has been nothing short of a nightmare continuing.

First, I enclosed a note explaining what I have been experiencing. They received it in the morning, and 6 hours later updated the repair order with the words "Unable to duplicate issue. Returning to owner".

Secondly, the package was supposed to have been shipping back to me on the 22nd. It is now the 24th. FedEx never received the shipment, and Apple has no clue where the package is.

So, when and IF I ever get the iPad2 back in my hands, we will know if the issue remains.

Extremely discouraged right now.

UPDATE: Apple/Fed Ex is still searching for the package. The additional bad news is that my iPad2 should have been handed over to the "safety department" for investigation and repair. It was not. So, now they are saying that if/when I receive the iPad2, I have to call in and speak to a "Senior Adviser" to make arrangements to SEND IT BACK IN yet again.

A number of things were said in this latest conversation but the one that stands out is that if I could haven taken it in to an Apple Store Genius Bar and they could have felt how hot it gets, it would have been swapped out on the spot.

Unbelievable first repair experience with Apple. Extremely disappointed.

I feel very bad for u man, I got an apple store 30 minutes away, and I've been there twice with complaints about my iPhone and the first time they just review it and if they can't "duplicate" the problem they won't care and give back to you, and tell u to go back another day if your having the same issues. So I went back and they gave me a new phone in 5 minutes tops.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Maybe it's the battery?

Can you explain this "overheating" a little more? Are you sure you aren't just freaking out over nothing? First of all, my iPhone can get fairly warm at times and I do not doubt for a second that an iPad does the same.

What do you mean by overheating? Like, it is hot enough to fry eggs? It's hot enough to boil water? Or maybe it's just noticeably warmer than usual but other than that it isn't hurting anyone?

Why has no one else asked about this?

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :)

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Can you explain this "overheating" a little more? Are you sure you aren't just freaking out over nothing? First of all, my iPhone can get fairly warm at times and I do not doubt for a second that an iPad does the same.

What do you mean by overheating? Like, it is hot enough to fry eggs? It's hot enough to boil water? Or maybe it's just noticeably warmer than usual but other than that it isn't hurting anyone?

Why has no one else asked about this?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :)

:):mad::mad::cool::mad::) lol. Um well it heats up on the left of the iPad where the magnets for the smart cover are located. It heats up to the point that it's not usable because of the heat. So what I did was restored and it looks like it did the trick, it warms up a little sometimes but it's much better. I have the apple protection plan on it so I'm not worried. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.