Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I'm 41 years old and I teach at school. I've owned black iPhone 4 since day 1 and find it indispensable, esp. for teachers. Alas, yesterday I dropped it in the toilet bowl full of poo. Do you think they will allow me to exchange it for the white iPhone 4 since it's still within warranty? Also, should I tell 'em the truth as to why it's not working? Any other tricks I can play to make them give me the white one? Please, advise. :eek:

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
The phone's water sensor was tipped off when it fell into that 'toilet bowl full of poo'. Your warranty doesn't cover accidental damage/water damage.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yes, it has been asked before.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1144032/

Apple's warranty does not cover you dropping it in a crap filled toilet. Since water damage voids the warranty, Apple will do an out of warranty replacement that costs you $199 for 16GB or $299 for 32GB. Since you are having to pay, I'm not sure if they will switch colors for you.

87am

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I hope you have the decency to tell them the truth so they know to put gloves on before handleing it!!! Just don't be a dick. The trick to getting the white iPhone is to just slip them $599 and they will get you the phone from the back room. If you are really a teacher, act like one.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
theres been storys of apple replacing handsets like yours for free when people have been genuine and honest...

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I don't think you are 41 years old. If you are really a teacher, then I feel really terrible for your students who are learning...

With that kind of mind, our societies are doomed.

coooolwhip

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
I'm 41 years old and I teach at school. I've owned black iPhone 4 since day 1 and find it indispensable, esp. for teachers. Alas, yesterday I dropped it in the toilet bowl full of poo. Do you think they will allow me to exchange it for the white iPhone 4 since it's still within warranty? Also, should I tell 'em the truth as to why it's not working? Any other tricks I can play to make them give me the white one? Please, advise. :eek:

If you're serious, how did this happen? I mean I take my iphone into the bathroom with me often but when I'm done I put the iphone down on the sink and wipe. Did you try to wipe your a$$ with your iphone by mistake?

juliuspierpont

macrumors member
May 11, 2007
If you even are a teacher and not a troll... Take responsibility for your actions for Pete's sake. You want to know of any "tricks" you can pull to essentially steal a new phone? Next time you're trying to tell one of your students to be responsible, bask in the irony and hypocrisy. Man (or woman) up, admit you made a mistake, and buy a new damned phone. An expensive lesson, but lessons are what being a teacher is all about.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Your best bet to be completely honest, if you lie they will find out and that bridge will be burned.

Ponderous

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, it has been asked before.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1144032/

Apple's warranty does not cover you dropping it in a crap filled toilet. Since water damage voids the warranty, Apple will do an out of warranty replacement that costs you $199 for 16GB or $299 for 32GB. Since you are having to pay, I'm not sure if they will switch colors for you.

Wait, so why would I carry the insurance then with a $169 deductible?

Mark98xlt

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

For all of you that mentioned the tripped sensor, my sensor tripped on the charging one but the one in the jack has not and no my phone hasn't seen water at all just work in a humid environment at times. Now I'm not switching to white but my question is if I have an issue with my phone and I plan on a new one before July and year warranty is up will apple give me an issue with swapping for a new one?

italeki

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2010
Water damage is NOT COVERED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! I have friends who damaged their iPhone in water and even professionally lied about it to Apple who can ALWAYS tell when there is water damage. No ways around this.

So we all wipe our a$$? hahahaha. I guess all pride goes down to the toilet with everyone (regardless of who we are) at that moment. LOL

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004

You obviously don't teach ethics though, right? :)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wow, nasty. Put your phone down, jeez.
1) warranty doesn't equal insurance
2) Apple will know if you dropped your phone in water
3) they charge 200 for an out of warranty replacement
4) they are more likely to help you out if don't BS with them
5) even if you pay for a out of warranty replacement, you will get the same color. Theres almost a 0% chance that they'll replace it with a white one since a) they probably don't have white refurbished iphones yet b) they haven't done that in the past

phaggard

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
I have replaced two Iphones in the past for honest defects and each time the first thing they did was look inside the phone with telescopic light to see if it has water damage etc. There are stories where people have gotten their Iphone replaced after something that was their fault but they must have found someone at the Apple Store that didn't care about the company's loss or their store would rather please a dishonest person if they might become a future follow on customer. If I were in your shoes I would want them to replace my Iphone as well but I don't think my conscience would even let me try; or I guess it's more my embarassment than conscience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.