Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepykidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I've got a Macbook 6,1 (late 2009 if I remember correctly) and the rubber bottom has been warping. At first it was just by the track pad, the bottom was a little bit extended but now it won't even fit on the laptop any more. Since the problem started I bought an M-cover to put over it but now that no longer fits on the bottom plate. What's going on here and what can I do? My warranty just expired this month and I hear that apple doesn't deal with cosmetic issues but I don't really want to carry my Macbook around without the bottom of it.

Any help guys? Thanks.

sleepykidd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Ok so at this point I just decided to take the rubber part off entirely. I have a m-cover on my Macbook so the metal bottom isn't directly touching the surface, and the m-cover comes with little feet so I have traction and the back end of the bottom is elevated. I'm hoping that this helps with heat issues.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I don't know how much this will help actually...the rubber case on bottom is actually reported by apple to dissipate heat. And so by taking that off, and leaving the m cover on, may actually cause the macbook to get warmer as the bottom won't have anything to transfer heat through. I don't know this for sure, but I have a feeling that's what will happen.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The rubber coming off is more than a cosmetic issue. It's a functional issue as well. While I can't guarantee it, I'm willing to bet that Apple will help you out here.

Changen

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
California
Bought mine in feb of 2010. have had my bottom plate replaced three times. The last time I had it replaced it was out of warranty by a week the first genius I saw wanted to charge me $180 I think off the the top of my head so I held off tried again two days later and explained my problem to a different genius and he had it done free of charge. Mine always started to bubble right below the cd drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.