Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jegadhu84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Hi everyone,

Please tell me the way to findout the version of an application using AppleScript. :confused:

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
If you want to know the version of an app all you need to do is click on the title of the app in the menubar and click About.

jegadhu84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Thanks.

Hi Dalton,

Very good suggestion. I need to know the version using AppleScript. Please read the Thread once again.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Code:
do shell script "osascript -e 'version of application "Application"'"

Something to this affect should work. You need to tweak the quotation marks obviously. Replace "Application" with the app you want to find the version.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Code:
do shell script "osascript -e 'version of application "Application"'"

Something to this affect should work. You need to tweak the quotation marks obviously. Replace "Application" with the app you want to find the version.

I don't know much about AppleScript, but why escape from AppleScript into the shell just to enter AppleScript again.

Is the above not the equivalent of:
Code:
version of application "Application"

jegadhu84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Thanks

Hi,

Its working fine.

Code:
tell application "Silverlight Preferences" to get the version

Thanks dalton

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I don't know much about AppleScript, but why escape from AppleScript into the shell just to enter AppleScript again.

Is the above not the equivalent of:
Code:
version of application "Application"

Would you look at that. You got it. And yea I knew the code I put didn't make any sense for some reason. Im pretty tired at this point...

jegadhu84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Yes, Its equivalent.

Code:
tell application "Finder" to get the version of application "Silverlight Preferences"

The above is as like what you said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.