Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, a MacRumors reader notified us that the white iPhone 4 is ever so slightly larger than the black iPhone 4. It's a small difference, but enough that the white iPhone 4 wouldn't fit in his Incase slider case:
Just picked up the white iPhone 4 and realized it doesn't fit into my Incase slider case. It appears that Apple has increased the size of the plastic that borders the glass on both sides by about 1mm.
164154-tumblr_lkdqkyjHla1qa45ly.jpg

Ryan Cash of Marketcircle noticed the same and noticed it just by picking it up.
A colleague of mine just picked up a 16 GB iPhone 4 in white. I was a bit surprised when I picked it up off his desk (I had my black 32 GB in my other hand at the same time) – it immediately felt thicker.
Cash offers some comparison photos between the white and black iPhone 4 showing the slight difference. The small different may be enough to affect tight fitting slider cases as evidenced by our reader's experience.

Article Link: White iPhone 4 Slightly Thicker Than Black iPhone 4

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Sounds like a "who cares?" kind of thing, but that's actually kind of a big deal if it creates case fragmentation. Not good. Hopefully inaccurate.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
They look the same to me in the picture. The white one is tipped slightly so that you see the front face surface a little. I think this makes the difference in appearance.

Stevesbodyguard

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
I held one earlier today and it felt .0001 oz. heavier. Perhaps it is just my super human ability to weigh things instantly that told me this....but still....:cool:

Jako7286

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
They look the same to me in the picture. The white one is tipped slightly so that you see the front face surface a little. I think this makes the difference in appearance.

Ditto. And if they are different, it's definitely NOT 2mm (1mm per side) like the post says. If anything, it's a quarter of a mm each side MAX.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I'm guessing that extra millimeter is what was needed to give the right amount of opaqueness to the white face.

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
If this is true, I'll be highly disappointed. I wonder how long till case makers respond or if they will even bother?

I'll take photos as soon as my verizon shipment comes in. (Most likely by Monday).

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
First, the volume switch issue, then this. I feel sorry for case manufacturers. What a nightmare.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
That actually isn't surprising. I've noticed that all of the aftermarket "OEM" white based replacement backplates (any using the white housing for colored glass...yellow, all the whites, green) are always just slightly thicker and can prevent tighter fitting cases from going on the phone. I always just chalked it up to aftermarket parts not being as exact as genuine Apple parts, but now it seems like it's actually a legitimate difference.

ryanbates

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
San Diego, CA
The white is definitely a little bit thicker than the black. I managed to get it in my Incase Slider (snuggly) that I used with my black, but it is next to impossible to get it out. This post explains why...

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I thought it was thicker after I just bought... Guess I was right! but it fits in all the cases I have just fine. The white bumper plus the white iPhone looks AMAZING

DotComName

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure it's just an illusion because of the color difference and the angle of the shot. Makes no sense why Apple would need to or want to do that.

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
I have both the white and black 32gb iPhone 4's next to me now. How anyone can say one feels immediately thicker than the other is beyond me lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.