Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I could have sworn my iResq back was bigger than the stock black one. That's funny it's in spec of the actual OEM one now haha.

My Vulcan still fits but its a tighter fit.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Ok.......?

Who cares really?

It's white! That's all I care about :)

I'll tell you who care...

case manufacturers that Apple is constantly screwing.

It remains to be seen if this change will affect many but this constantly happens to these third party partners.

That slight move of the volume button probably cost some of them a great deal in retooling expenses. Apple could have given them a heads up, but, oh god forbid anyone know what the great ones are up too.

But hey what do you care, right?

Were all very glad you like your new phone and hope you find a case that fits!;)

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
It's not, actually. Every time a change in the phone comes out, the manufacturer has to make new cases to reach those new customers, necessitating new tools/molds/whatever (so more cost on their end). Any manufacturer would prefer that the same case worked for all iPhone4s because then they would only have to spend the manufacturing dollars once to reach a every iPhone4 customer. Plus, less confusion when people are buying cases.

So what you are telling me is: An iPhone 4 comes out and I buy a case. Incase makes $20. An iPhone 5 comes out the same size and I don't buy a case because I have an old one and Incase makes $0. How is that better for Incase exactly?

Manufacturing processes are the same for phone cases , candy bars, or screen prints on T-Shirts. The expense comes from the design and fabrication of the molds, not the manufacturing process. These original molds are already made so they can continue to make the old case at next to nothing. Once the new mold is made (the expensive part) it 's the same song.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Case Makers must be going crazy.

First AT&T iPhone 4.
Next Verizon iPhone 4 (buttons moved)
Now AT&T White iPhone 4 and Verizon White iPhone 4 (thicker models).

Wonder if the Apple bumpers fit?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
If this requires case manufacturers to make a case specifically for the white iPhone on both carriers, I wouldn't be surprised if they just said screw it, were not making one. Apple released the white iPhone because they said they would, I don't think enough will be sold where it makes sense for case makers.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
If this requires case manufacturers to make a case specifically for the white iPhone on both carriers, I wouldn't be surprised if they just said screw it, were not making one. Apple released the white iPhone because they said they would, I don't think enough will be sold where it makes sense for case makers.

Someone will make a case. Do you think these established companies want some newjack to come in and steal their entire market? Once you buy a case and like it, you typically stay with that company for your next one. Businesses would rather make money instead of making points.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Maybe you should have a look at the rest of the comparison photos.

It'll be interesting to see if this is across the board.

Yup looked at them all now, still no difference in size really. The only photo that might show a diff in size is really blurry.

Someone needs to use a caliper and check. Photos won't show it accurately

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Phone cases are for wimps anyway :D

I still think it's the same size after staring at the photos. Light/white objects always look bigger than they are compared to black. Just look at a while aluminium mountain bike frame compared to a black one, they always look fatter.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Ditto. And if they are different, it's definitely NOT 2mm (1mm per side) like the post says. If anything, it's a quarter of a mm each side MAX.

Yes we all forgot about your super human ability to determine things based on a small grainy picture...:rolleyes:

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
I can tell you from first hand experience many of the knock off conversion kits have a slightly thicker battery door which causes issues with certain cases - mostly hard ones, like snap on back covers or sliders.

They simply don't fit. They're just a hair off due to the thicker door.

I've also seen some white doors which are fine and fit with all cases.

Not saying these pics aren't of the Apple iPhone 4 or not......

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
It's definitely not perspective. You can see the metal piece is raised higher because the white sections are thicker than the black sections. A 2 year old could figure this out.

diacritic

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010

No they won't. Imagine being the only manufacturer that offers a case for the white iphone. They could produce a turd shaped cover and still make millions because it's the only option out there. If the story is indeed accurate, I bet case manufacturers have already prepped their new molds by now.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
First, the volume switch issue, then this. I feel sorry for case manufacturers. What a nightmare.

Oh shucks, people have to buy all new cases to fit this slightly varied iphone.

Bill, I guess open another vault for all the extra money. We just ain't got no more places to put it.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
OMG... it's .2mm thicker. STOP THE PRESSES!

Apple shouldn't be aloud to state the thickness as being the same as the black iPhone. If they can't even fit into some cases then it's just yet another issue apple has to amend. Honestly, with all the QC issues and delays in the past do they just purposely not tackle issues that surely a competent R&D faculty would inevitably find?

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
If this white iPhone 4 does not fit the official Apple Bumper then I can see this as a problem. Otherwise its a moot point, my case is made out of rubber and it is still capable to stretch a little to fit a little more or less in size.

Too bad for those who spent money on a "fitting" case.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The story continues gets more confusing. Apparently white Verizon iphones are thicker but white AT&T iphones are thinner. :rolleyes:

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
Apple shouldn't be aloud to state the thickness as being the same as the black iPhone. If they can't even fit into some cases then it's just yet another issue apple has to amend. Honestly, with all the QC issues and delays in the past do they just purposely not tackle issues that surely a competant R&D faculty would inevitably find?

I agree - if this does turn out to be in fact the truth Apple has some explaining to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.