Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

212649-reading4.jpg
Apple is working on a new feature for Safari in Apple's Mac OS X Lion that will bring a different kind of bookmarking functionality to the browser. Apple calls it "Reading List" and is meant to offer users a way to save pages for later reading. The new feature is described by Apple here:Reading List lets you collect webpages and links for you to read later. To add the current page to your Reading List, click Add Page. You can also Shift-click a link to quickly add it to the list. To hide and show Reading List, click the Reading List icon (eyeglasses) in the bookmarks bar.
And the accompanying eyeglasses icon:
210210-icon.jpg
This feature is currently inactive and hidden within the latest Mac OS X Lion builds. Apple has not yet made any mention of the feature in any of their Mac OS X Lion documentation. The basic functionality would pit the feature directly against popular services such as Instapaper and ReadItLater. Apple's implementation appears to be partly based on HTML/js but it's not yet clear how robust a solution it will be. For example, one compelling feature of Instapaper and ReadItLater is the ability the synchronization of bookmarks across devices.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming 'Reading List' for Safari to Compete with Instapaper and ReadItLater

Last edited by a moderator:

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Not really.

Go listen to this week's Build and Analyze, a podcast with Marco Arment and Dan Benjamin. He thinks that this will help his business model.
http://5by5.tv/buildanalyze/22

(Marco, by the way, is the brilliant programmer behind Tumblr and now Instapaper)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ya, just from what we've seen so far, I'm not sure this is going to be as fully featured a thing as the 3rd party apps. cross-device syncing is a pretty big feature actually. so, it may help bring awareness to instapaper and readitlater. but we don't know the final features I guess.

Now if Apple includes MobileMe/iCloud syncing/centralization, it would be more worrisome.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
ya, just from what we've seen so far, I'm not sure this is going to be as fully featured a thing as the 3rd party apps. cross-device syncing is a pretty big feature actually. so, it may help bring awareness to instapaper and readitlater. but we don't know the final features I guess.

Now if Apple includes MobileMe/iCloud syncing/centralization, it would be more worrisome.

I'm sure that if they did that, then he would probably look into moving into less Apple-centric markets (webOS, WP7, and possibly Android) so to avoid the Apple solution as much as possible.

Either way, Instapaper has a major heads-up as long as Apple doesn't release an API for apps to implement. Sending articles from Reeder on my iPhone to Instapaper is so simple, it's silly. If Apple can't compete there, it can't compete with Instapaper (for me).

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
That would really suck for Marco if it's a robust solution and integrated into Safari and syncs with iCloud. (Which mean MS and Google will do it too.)

Choice and competition is good for us as consumers. I just think Marco is a rock star and adds a lot to the community, so I hope he can compete. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll come up with some cool and new. (It's just hard when a company like Apple kicks a leg out of your income stream.)

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
The feature could be integrated into Safari of iOS 5 and have the syncing with a mac.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Either way, Instapaper has a major heads-up as long as Apple doesn't release an API for apps to implement. Sending articles from Reeder on my iPhone to Instapaper is so simple, it's silly. If Apple can't compete there, it can't compete with Instapaper (for me).

Right, the API is pretty key since instapaper is supported in a ton of places.

arn

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This would have to be really, really good to pull me away from Instapaper. Arment's solution is so clean, simple, and unobtrusive that it's damn near brilliant in its simplicity.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Unless this feature also integrates with a multitude of Twitter apps, RSS readers, etc., Instapaper has nothing to worry about.

Tee1970

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Compete with RSS via Google Reader?

Would love to have a subscription option similar to Google Reader that tracked the subscriptions too, and could easily display without putting in ads. I've used various news reader apps, but they all support Google somehow, telling Google what i am reading. I went thru a bunch of searching for comparative services, seems like Google has scared off development of much competition.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Where is it hidden? I'd love to play around with it.

PS Lion is as sure-footed as a mountain goat. It'll be rock solid by the time it's done.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Forget syncing. Come on, people are too wussy to carry their MBP and iPhone (for tethering) everywhere?

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
This doesn't help Chrome and Firefox users. So I doubt the other services would go away.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I just started using instapaper a lot not too long ago. I will be looking forward to this.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Where is it hidden? I'd love to play around with it.

+1 I've been searching but found no references to this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.