Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I am in a bit of a panic. For some reason that isn't clear to me; I can't seem to be able to drag over music in iTunes from the computer to my iPhone. What happens is this, I select an album - go to drag it over the iPhone icon in iTunes - drop the album and it just won't allow it. :( He-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-p :(

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Have you set iTunes to manually manage music? Or is it set to sync automatically?

Syncing automatically is much easier and more convenient. But drag and drop only works with manual managing.

okgsds

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Make a new playlist in iTunes called "iPhone" or whatever, and just sync that.

Scallywag is correct. In order to put your music on your iPhone you have to put your songs into a playlist and then sync up that playist to your iPhone. Use the Audio tab in your iPhone config to select all or just some of the playlists to sync up.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Have you set iTunes to manually manage music? Or is it set to sync automatically?

Syncing automatically is much easier and more convenient. But drag and drop only works with manual managing.

That's what it was :eek: Thanks for your help! I just clicked to manage my Music and Video's myself (or something like that :)) and now it's all good. So relieved, I thought something went really wrong for me.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Glad it worked. :) But as other posters said before, to use playlists and sync automatically will save you a lot of time on the long run. :)

realeoin

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
iTunes won't let me put my music on iPhone

OK,
I'm having the same problem. Up until last week I was able to drag music from anywhere on my hard drive (or external hard drive) and drop it onto the iPod/iPhone icon in iTunes and that was all I had to do.I could then edit the info and artwork for that music myself. Now I can't. The music and iPhone icons appear greyed over as if inactive and reject any attempts I make to add music. Anyone know whats going on ? Ever had this problem before ? I'm using iTunes 10.0 and iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0.2 at the moment

realeoin

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
OK,
I'm having the same problem. Up until last week I was able to drag music from anywhere on my hard drive (or external hard drive) and drop it onto the iPod/iPhone icon in iTunes and that was all I had to do.I could then edit the info and artwork for that music myself. Now I can't. The music and iPhone icons appear greyed over as if inactive and reject any attempts I make to add music. Anyone know whats going on ? Ever had this problem before ? I'm using iTunes 10.0 and iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.0.2 at the moment

Sorry me again. Just to note that I don't want to just sync my music. For one thing most of it is stored on an external drive and syncing deletes the music I already have on my phone.

raguno

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Sorry me again. Just to note that I don't want to just sync my music. For one thing most of it is stored on an external drive and syncing deletes the music I already have on my phone.

I'm having the exact same problem with my iPhone 4 and itunes. It just started happening out of nowhere, I don't want to sync because if I delete or move something it gets deleted from my phone.

Hungaryboy1

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
OK,
Ok i had the same exactly the same problem with my Iphone4, and this is how i fixed it. I had recently cleared my itunes library since i wanted to redo it since i had a ton of doubles. After i did it is when iTunes started acting up. To Fix

1) Close Itunes
2) Go to your iTunes folder (Usually under My Music)
3) Rename "iTunes Library.itl" to "iTunes Library_Old.itl"
4) Cut and past it into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder
5) Cut and paste in the latest database to the Main iTunes folder
6) Delete "iTunes Music Library.xml"
7) Start iTunes, problem solved :)

Hope that helps :)

stephdiaz

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
itunes wont add music to my iphone

Hey, all of a sudden out of nowhere my my itunes wont add any songs to my iphone it says cant be played oin iphone this happened before but i dont remember how to fix it.. can anyone help? pleaseeeee.

Chikifriend

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 3GS (Software Version 4.33). I had to reformat my hard drive/computer recently so upon installing iTunes again, my library was completely wiped out.

Now, iTunes is trying to tell me to Erase and Sync with the non-existent library of my new software. I don't want to do that because I want to keep whatever is on my iPhone. Is there some way to keep whatever I already have stored on my iPhone and then manually manage my music/videos?

alisableske

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Fixed it!

I was having the same problem with 3 different phones over a 3 month period.

1) In itunes, while your phone is plugged in, go to your phone, and click on "Summary."

2) Go to the bottom of the page, and under "options," make sure that "Manually manage music and videos" is checked.

This should fix your problem, as often, especially if you use(d) multiple devices on your phone, this box isn't checked.

Please let me know if this has worked for you as well.

dross7

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
I'm having a similar problem. I am unable to drag and drop music from iTunes into my iPod. I do not want to sync, as most of my music is on my iPod. The manually manage music option on my iPod is checked off, but I'm still unable to move anything. Any ideas? Please?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm having a similar problem. I am unable to drag and drop music from iTunes into my iPod. I do not want to sync, as most of my music is on my iPod. The manually manage music option on my iPod is checked off, but I'm still unable to move anything. Any ideas? Please?

If your music is _only_ on your iPod: That's a very, very, very bad idea. If your iPod breaks or is stolen, your music is gone. Find some software that will put all the music into iTunes on your computer.

And "manually manage music" must be turned _on_, not _off_, if you want to manually manage music by dragging it on your iPod.

rayman88

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Slightly different issue

I can drag and drop some albums, but not others to my iPad. Any ideas?

lamar65

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013

I was having the same problem with my iPhone. I couldn't drag and drop, but if I right-clicked and hovered over Add To Playlist, my iPhone was at the top of the list. I selected it and the songs were added to my phone.

lobster8000

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Hi guys,
I was searching for answers to a similar issue and found this from a dude named Carl:

---
STOP iTunes.
Plug your gadget into the USB port.
START iTunes.
If it starts automatically, STOP it and RESTART it with the gadget plugged into the USB port.
I dunno why, but it works for me!
---

And it worked! It somehow solved my issue. I was afraid it was a DRM issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.