Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Sounds good, but I don't want this to replace bookmarks. I have over 100 bookmarks for very important stuff, and without them I would be lost.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

ok pointless to me. i either read sth right away or it cant be that important ^^

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
For example, clicking anywhere on the location bar should highlight the whole address like in Chrome rather than give you a single character edit cursor since 90% of the time I am not modifying the URL.

*rant*:apple:

I actually like the way it is now, clicking on the little web-icon selects the whole url, while clicking in the url allows you to modify it. Perfect for me… I'd like to see a different download list window.
Ow and the bug when closing tabs using the mouse. The little cross is too damn hard to hit due to the small cross, and once missed it doesn't let me close it unless my cursor hoovers away for a while…

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
What's wrong with a bookmark folder named "Reading List"?

Cmd+D to bookmark, walk through "Reading List" when you have time to spare, delete each entry when done.

Aug 19, 2008
Does it save the page to be able to read it later offline?

If yes, that could be cool.

Spid

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Has no one here heard of *.webarchive?

Does it save the page to be able to read it later offline?

If yes, that could be cool.

Spid

We have been able to do that for years now by saving as a *.webarchive so there is nothing special here. Maybe it will be a feature expanded to support the cloud but even then it really isn't a big deal.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
I would switch back to Safari if they make it more stable. And, of course, this feature would be awesome.

kdarling

macrumors P6
What's wrong with a bookmark folder named "Reading List"?

Cmd+D to bookmark, walk through "Reading List" when you have time to spare, delete each entry when done.

Good idea. That'swhat I do: I have a top folder for temporary site bookmarks that I don't have time to view right away, but want to go back to later and either delete or save in a different subfolder.

Also, as others have mentioned, you learn to locally save the pages that are important to you, because they can easily disappear for all sorts of reasons.

For instance, I've saved off news articles, recipes and programming tip pages, because some of my earlier bookmarks like that have gone to the great bitbucket in the sky :)

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Might be a nice addition.
Other additions woul be save User/Pass like Firefox and better "Firebug" to inspect elements.
Safari has best / easiest layout.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I do not see how this beats my "read later" folder in Safari. When I want to look at something later, I drag the link to the folder in the menu bar, And with Mobile Me syncing, I can get it on my iPhone nad iPad within 30 seconds.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I
For example, clicking anywhere on the location bar should highlight the whole address like in Chrome rather than give you a single character edit cursor since 90% of the time I am not modifying the URL. The add new tab and security info buttons feel like they are put in the weirdest place; closing a tab with your mouse feels slower because you have to stop on the tab for the hidden close tab button to appear.

*rant*:apple:

You do realize there are keyboard shortcuts for many of those actions.

Command + L - Select location bar
Command + T - Open new tab
Command + W - Close tab
Command + Option + ( [ or ] ) - Move backward of forward among your tabs

Why all the clicking? You are already doing things in a slow manner.

LOL.

Safari has about 6% of the browser market share, while RiL and Instapaper work on every browser in any platform. This feature will barely make a dent on RiL/Instapaper usage.

I doubt Apple is that daft. This will probably be a Framework made available so that Firefox or any other browser can utilize.

That said, I agree that other services won't be going anywhere.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I am sure Marco won't be very happy with this.

For once, he will consider going webOS and android.

I love Instapaper. I mean, I simply love it. I love Safari on OS X. So maybe this is going to complete it for me.

But Instapaper has got a LOT of functionality with a ton of apps through its API's.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Sounds good, but I don't want this to replace bookmarks. I have over 100 bookmarks for very important stuff, and without them I would be lost.
It sounds like your afraid that Apple would add a feature that would remove all your bookmarks// why would they do this? WHY? Espcecially if it was something you couldn't opt out on and just happen. Apple never would do this so you needn't fear.

ok pointless to me. i either read sth right away or it cant be that important
I don't think you understand the potential. Instapaper is great and here is an example: Train commuters is a big one. They know there will be 1 hour on the train each way that they don't have wi-fi so, as they find articles that are important to them and perhaps will want to keep indefinitely, they add it to their list. It's been stripped of all ads and is just the story, although pictures are still included. You go to each device you own that you want access to when you won't have wi-fi and refresh them so they get all the articles and when the time comes, you have all your articles even without service. Later, you can organize them into folders or delete them... whatever. The interface is very clean and you can change font size/type. Read black on white or white on black (night reading). You have the article. As someone said, a link is not always the answer as stories can be taken down and websites go away all the time. With a service like this, you have the story on your devices.

However, I wish that Instapaper had an App for the Mac for offline reading. I contacted Marco and he said he had no plans of building one. Not sure why as it seems a no brainer.

Last edited:

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
That would really suck for Marco if it's a robust solution and integrated into Safari and syncs with iCloud. (Which mean MS and Google will do it too.)

Choice and competition is good for us as consumers. I just think Marco is a rock star and adds a lot to the community, so I hope he can compete. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll come up with some cool and new. (It's just hard when a company like Apple kicks a leg out of your income stream.)

Wait, are you suggesting that it's okay for Apple to take the idea, but not Google or Microsoft? :confused:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I wish Apple would just do their own innovation instead of copying others.

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing innovative at all about any of Apple's products.

iPod? iPhone? iPad? Nothing but lame, blatant copies of all the insanely great MP3 players, smartphones and tablets that came before them. ;)

bdegrande

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Won't change anything for me. I use Read It Later, which works well with FIrefox, with Mobile Safari on iOS, and with Dolphin HD on Android, and you can save pages and read them on any platform.

Aug 19, 2008
We have been able to do that for years now by saving as a *.webarchive so there is nothing special here. Maybe it will be a feature expanded to support the cloud but even then it really isn't a big deal.

I mean, in Safari, just one click (or shortcut) and it will add the link on Reading List, download the page in background and save it to allow you to just go in your reading list later and offline, just click again on the link in the list and read it.

Even better if they do use this caching with the cloud to sync between devices.

How many times I don't have time to read some stuff on the computer... and finally when I get some time (waiting for catching a plane, traveling, etc), it's when I don't have my computer or don't have network (roaming is a real pain with the iPhone)

I know there's some solutions, but a seamless integration in Safari would make it very practical.

Spid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.