Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I noticed today that a quicktime file never made it from LOG and Transfer to FCP all the way. The file is 13 gigs big. I don't have the original clip from my Canon Vixia HF20. I try to drop it into FCP and it says that it's "unknown file type"

Is there anyway to rescue this file and have it converted into a proper quicktime file?

11vicna.png

334orox.png

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I did that and got this message again.

mp4: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov box)

Hmm..

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Well with no luck anywhere else I used AeroQ's software and it worked.

FC had only transferred 12 min of the 60 minutes of the video but I was able to recover the first 12 minutes. The service was very fast and the software is very easy to use.

Thanks for everyone's input.

FR0STY

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
See if VLC plays it, if it does you can use the advanced output feature to reencode.

VLC WILL play anything, but that doesn't mean that it will turn out well on other programs, sites, etc. For example, it will (almost always) look terrible on say YouTube or an embedded file.

greymfm

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I noticed today that a quicktime file never made it from LOG and Transfer to FCP all the way. The file is 13 gigs big. I don't have the original clip from my Canon Vixia HF20. I try to drop it into FCP and it says that it's "unknown file type"

Is there anyway to rescue this file and have it converted into a proper quicktime file?

11vicna.png

334orox.png

Here's a movie repair tool: http://grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/?Solutions:HD_Video_Repair_Utility
The tool works on most camera movie files and requires a non-broken sample file of the same camera to repair the corrupt file.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Has anyone found a cheaper solution? i have a video that I recorded with my iPhone 4, but it is corrupted.....I tried the demo version of the software from that last you company you mentioned, and it worked (it gave me an 8 second sample)...however, the video is less than a minute long and not worth paying close to $50 to repair it.....if anyone has any other solutions, i would greatly appreciate it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.