Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Hi, I wanted to ask whether my iPad 2 will play music/sound on my iPod dock speaker which only contains the port "AUX IN"? There are some AUX IN to Apple 30 pin dock connector cables, so will it be possible to play the sound on the speaker if I plug the cable in to the iPad?

Many thanks.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
"AUX IN" is just a 3.5mm jack, right? (that's the standard headphone jack, which is found on the iPad) Then you could just pick up a male-male 3.5mm lead.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
That aux-in to 30 pin won't work on the latest generation of machines (no line out on the 30 pin port).

Plug a cable like this into the headphone socket instead.

31PhL6qKrkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is 3.5mm to phono - or as AdrianK suggested, 3.5mm to 3.5mm may be the right one (depends what's on your dock).

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Sorry, think I made a mistake, so should an AUX IN to 3.5-mm stereo headphone mini-jack cable work? All I want to do is play music/videos on my iPad and emit the sound to the speaker so the sound is not coming out of the iPad.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Sorry, think I made a mistake, so should an AUX IN to 3.5-mm stereo headphone mini-jack cable work? All I want to do is play music/videos on my iPad and emit the sound to the speaker so the sound is not coming out of the iPad.

Well, what does the AUX-IN port on the dock look like?

You need a cable that's 3.5mm on one send and the match the AUX-IN input on the other.

It's likely that you need either 3.5mm male to male or 3.5mm to RCA (as firestarter posted).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.