Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I have set up the MacBook of my girl friend to get remote access to my home network by a VPN connection. I did this mainly to make it possible for her to copy files from my MacPro. The VPN connection works very well but she cannot "see" my MacPro in the Finder. When she comes visiting me and logs into my network by WLAN she can see the MacPro and download files.

What is my mistake? I assumed that the MacPro treats an incoming VPN connection like another Mac which is on the network. Apparently this is wrong. What can I do to make it work as I want it to work?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
I have set up the MacBook of my girl friend to get remote access to my home network by a VPN connection. I did this mainly to make it possible for her to copy files from my MacPro. The VPN connection works very well but she cannot "see" my MacPro in the Finder. When she comes visiting me and logs into my network by WLAN she can see the MacPro and download files.

What is my mistake? I assumed that the MacPro treats an incoming VPN connection like another Mac which is on the network. Apparently this is wrong. What can I do to make it work as I want it to work?

Just to clarify, the VPN server is a router or the Mac Pro?

Scanning the network uses Bonjour and Bonjour (at least in my experience) has never worked when joining a network via VPN. Of course it is still possible to do tasks like file sharing and such but you will need to manually connect through the Mac Pro's local IP address.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Just to clarify, the VPN server is a router or the Mac Pro?
The VPN server is an AVM 7270 router/modem/voip box.
So you think she has to manually connect to the ip adress of my MacPro to be able to download files remotely?
How would I do this? Is it done in Finder somewhere?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
The VPN server is an AVM 7270 router/modem/voip box.
So you think she has to manually connect to the ip adress of my MacPro to be able to download files remotely?
How would I do this? Is it done in Finder somewhere?

In the Finder:

Menu Bar > Go > Connect to Server > Mac Pro IP or what ever the name of your machine is called Mac-Pro.local

And your done, might even bookmark it if you use it often.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
In the Finder:

Menu Bar > Go > Connect to Server > Mac Pro IP or what ever the name of your machine is called Mac-Pro.local

And your done, might even bookmark it if you use it often.

Thanks, that worked. A pity that bonjour cannot do it automatically.

ScientistRyan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
ShareTool by yazsoft will allow all your bonjour services to work through your VPN just as they do locally. This is the solution I use, and it works perfectly, even itunes home sharing works. This is the only solution I could find as from what I can tell Apple has designed bonjour to not work over VPN.

http://www.yazsoft.com/products/sharetool/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.