Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
Ello' guys and garls'!

So, my beloved MacBook Air "13 Ultimate (2.13GHz / 4GB / 25GB) Fans go crazy whenever i watch flash, for example i watch CTFXc (like 12 mins videos) and the fans are kicking in almost instantly and keep spinning until a few minutes after i stop watching the videos.

Now, this problem weren't that bad when i got it, that was around january, back then the weather was a lot colder outside than it is now.

January = -15 to -5 C

Now = 10 to 26 C

I have no idea if it's the weather :)D) but that's my theori.

Is this normal or what? when i feel it, it doesn't feel that warm, like my MacBook Pro does for instance.

Hope you guys can help.

Hope you had a nice weekend.:apple:

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Flash is definitely the culprit there, especially with the slower CPUs that require a higher percent usage. Totally normal.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Coolbook is the solution.

I had both an 11" ultimate and a 13" ultimate. I preferred the extra screen real estate so I wanted to keep the 13" .... but the fan noise bugged me.

Flash, running windows via VM, photo editing, moving large files all made my 13" roar. (For whatever reason the 11" ran much quieter doing the same tasks.)

I'd read some posts here about Coolbook, I was reluctant to try it ... as a last resort before deciding to give up the 13" I installed it, used the recommend settings found here in this forum and voila my 13" has ran much quieter and cooler since.

I can work in Windows for hours, no fan noise, watch Flash everything.

Very impressed, it allowed me to keep my 13"!

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Coolbook is the solution.

I had both an 11" ultimate and a 13" ultimate. I preferred the extra screen real estate so I wanted to keep the 13" .... but the fan noise bugged me.

Flash, running windows via VM, photo editing, moving large files all made my 13" roar. (For whatever reason the 11" ran much quieter doing the same tasks.)

I'd read some posts here about Coolbook, I was reluctant to try it ... as a last resort before deciding to give up the 13" I installed it, used the recommend settings found here in this forum and voila my 13" has ran much quieter and cooler since.

I can work in Windows for hours, no fan noise, watch Flash everything.

Very impressed, it allowed me to keep my 13"!

can you share what settings you're using in coolbook?
i'm about to install it on my 13 inch ultimate :)
thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.