Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/01/psa-atandt-dsl-and-u-verse-landline-internet-caps-begin-tomorrow/

Tomorrow is May 2nd, 2011, and you know what that means -- tomorrow is the day that AT&T will impose data caps on DSL and U-Verse Internet, and begin tallying up overage fees. At least, that was the plan on March 18th -- when the company formally announced 150GB DSL and 250GB U-Verse caps -- but even if you're a paying customer who chows down several hundred gigabytes in a month, you may not have to worry about paying extra right away. AT&T specified that folks like yourself will have access to an online tool to self-police your usage before the company even begins to calculate the cost of your formerly all-you-can-eat bandwidth buffet, and as you can see in the picture above, the tool isn't quite ready for public consumption across the entire country. Scoot on over to our source link, enter your AT&T ID, and if you see the same, perhaps you won't have to cancel your 700-hour Star Trek marathon quite yet.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
*Sigh*

That was a big reason I was with them over Comcast. That and their awesome customer service. At least now I can get a faster plan with Comcast.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Bonds79 is a modern day Chicken Little :rolleyes:

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Bonds79 is a modern day Chicken Little :rolleyes:

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

@Bonds79: What are the reasons you believe this to be "Good Times?" Please be specific.

Oh, facetious? I don't feel it. :confused:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
worse part is while 250 gig now is fine for 99% of the people. It will become an issue as time goes on as our data demands are exponentially growing so in a few years 250 gigs is going to be a major issue.

what 10 years ago it most people were pulling down maybe 1 gig of data a month and that was on the high end. Now days we are well beyond that.

As for the people hitting the 250 gigs caps are going to be the major torrent people. Streaming netflix is going to suck down at most 1 gig per hour. Reallity is it is going ot be closer to 500 megs per hour. We do not stream that much video per day.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
As for the people hitting the 250 gigs caps are going to be the major torrent people. Streaming netflix is going to suck down at most 1 gig per hour. Reallity is it is going ot be closer to 500 megs per hour. We do not stream that much video per day.

30 hours of Netflix HD streaming is 70GB. I don't know where you are getting your figures, but 250GB is not that large.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
and everyone thinks all data plans are going unlimited when apple introduces the 'cloud' and they'll be able to stream everything for free for ever. :rolleyes:

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
worse part is while 250 gig now is fine for 99% of the people. It will become an issue as time goes on as our data demands are exponentially growing so in a few years 250 gigs is going to be a major issue.

what 10 years ago it most people were pulling down maybe 1 gig of data a month and that was on the high end. Now days we are well beyond that.

And don't forgot about PS3 HD gaming online............................

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I still don't understand why they decided to do this now especially since they are trying to get people off of cable on onto U-Verse. I suppose other ISPs may impose limits too--I hope not--no inclination of that yet with my ISP so all this does for me is take ATT out as an option.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
30 hours of Netflix HD streaming is 70GB. I don't know where you are getting your figures, but 250GB is not that large.

figured are based off torrents I have downloaded. 40 min episode is 350 megs a pop. If I want the HD verson of it around 1.09 gig per 40 min episode.

So it is not like I pulled the number out of my rear. That is the result of basic xvid codex.
I still don't understand why they decided to do this now especially since they are trying to get people off of cable on onto U-Verse. I suppose other ISPs may impose limits too--I hope not--no inclination of that yet with my ISP so all this does for me is take ATT out as an option.

it was only a matter of time. Like I said my worry is 250 gigs per month is fine for most people and way under what we will use but I see them thinking long term and a few years down the road 250 gigs will be normal and in AT&T mind they have put a cap on it before hand.

Biggest issue the ISP are running into is our demand is for data is growing a hell of a lot faster than supply and the ISP know this.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
See what happends when a company becomes to big, 1 reason i left ATT a long time ago, and now left t-mobile, 1 reason i am comcast for life. Another reason why i am still iffy about apple.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

If you're streaming 30 hrs of netflix a month, you need to get out more. Not being a jerk, but seriously....

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
They are OUT when they stream it, if they where in they would use wifi. thats the point of a smart phone, you can take it with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.