Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

101613-time_si_fortune.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple and Time Inc. have finally reached a deal to allow subscribers to the print editions of Time's major magazines to access the iPad versions of those magazines free of charge. The deal breaks a months-long impasse that initially focused on paid subscription models but has also included accommodations for print subscribers. The two companies had reached an agreement for People last August, but Time's other titles have remained outside of that agreement until now.Starting Monday, subscribers to Sports Illustrated, Time and Fortune magazines will be able to access the iPad editions via the apps, which will be able to authenticate them as subscribers. Time Inc.'s People magazine already had such an arrangement, but readers of most publications have had to pay separately for the iPad version regardless of their subscriber status.According to the report, Time and Apple remain in disagreement over plans to offer digital subscriptions to iPad editions. Apple has of course rolled out an in app subscription program in which it collects 30% of all subscription revenue and gives subscribers direct control over whether their information is shared with publishers, and while several newspapers have begun offering content under the program, magazines have been more reluctant to do so.Time Inc. and other major publishers have yet to agree with Apple on terms for selling subscriptions to their iPad editions, the next step beyond making them available to existing print subscribers. Talks are hung up on Apple's resistance to sharing information with publishers about their iPad customers, which publishers say is critical to applying the "TV everywhere" model to magazines.In the absence of subscription plans, most users are stuck with purchasing single issues of their magazines for the iPad, a much more expensive proposition that has led to weak sales figures for most publications.

Article Link: Apple and Time Inc. Reach Deal to Allow Print Subscribers Free iPad Access

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Can I subscribe to Sports Illustrated and then tell them to not send the print version? I don't need both but, if the only way to get a subscription to the iPad version is to subscribe to the print, I may just do that. Whish there was away to tell them not to actually mail the print versions to me because it will be a waste, it will hit the trash can the second I bring it into the house.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I wonder if this works with Time Asia (Hong Kong)
coz I am subscribed to that.

I await the next issue about the killing of Bin Laden.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
The fact that needed to be any extensive negotiation speaks volumes. Publishers should be allowed to this, without ANY money-grubbing interference from Apple. This is an issue between the subscriber and the publisher - Apple needs to butt out.

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
Nice that I can get Time on the iPad. It would be nice to then be able to stop the print edition.

I did that with MacWorld. I received the print issue, but was able to transfer it to a Zinio subscription.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
this is awesome. Have already had this ability on my Xoom for quite some time with Sports Illustrated. Glad Apple caught up.

mram

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Why want the print anyway?

Why would anyone want to have both the print and digital editions? Buy either the print or the iPad edition.... If you want the iPad edition, but have print already, cancel your print subscription. I don't even have an iPad, never will because of the radiation, but it's not to hard to make choices, now is it?

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
Why would anyone want to have both the print and digital editions? Buy either the print or the iPad edition.... If you want the iPad edition, but have print already, cancel your print subscription. I don't even have an iPad, never will because of the radiation, but it's not to hard to make choices, now is it?

Because of the radiation? :) Haha, what do you mean?

minimac

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
DE
The Economist allows this now, is there something different about their setup? I also wish Wired would allow the same thing.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I've been wanting this to happen for a while! I liked the idea of reading news like a magazine from an iPad, but I didn't like how the only real offer was The Daily that was exclusively iPad. I didn't see the point. Now, if I had an iPad, I would totally read my Time magazine subscription from my iPad.

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Blech!

Who wants those lame "coloring book" magazines? It's just proof that those sad magazines are doomed.

On the other hand, I do not want to pay (via Apple) to keep the dinosaur media on life support. The faster the media conglomerates die, the better it is for all of us.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
The fact that needed to be any extensive negotiation speaks volumes. Publishers should be allowed to this, without ANY money-grubbing interference from Apple. This is an issue between the subscriber and the publisher - Apple needs to butt out.

LOL! Obviously we don't know the details of what really went on, and it's obvious that Apple is adjusting to help expand the market.

Just because the rules are being defined in this new digital world, doesn't mean everyone is evil. I'm sure everyone is trying to protect their turf and bottom line... we're getting what the market wants.

But of course, again... if you look at it logically from a business side, your constant Apple bashing doesn't hold up.

nujjy

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2005
The Economist allows this now, is there something different about their setup? I also wish Wired would allow the same thing.

Exactly what I was thinking.
How is this such a big deal when existing customers of other print publications are able to view the iPad equivalents free of charge?

Another example is of The Times newspaper in the UK.

All this requires is for print subscribers to be issued a username and password, they download the app and then login with their details.

maconspace

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
No Nursing Home Picture?

You couldn't find an image of nursing home residents reading a print version of Time? Oh that's right, they only watch Fox News on their iPad.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I thought the Apple subscription services introduced months ago already allowed existing subscribers to get content for free?

Doesn't seem like Tim "negotiated" anything.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
shady

to subscribe online ($30/yr) to the print edition you have to agree to automatic renewal "at the low subscription rate then in effect". You can't know in advance what that auto-renewal rate's going to be. And there's no opt-out option. I went to the site intending to subscribe, chose not to. And if you try to contact customer service to ask how to subscribe without the auto-renewal, you can't: customer service inquiry forms require a subscriber ID

I'm an old guy (65) with a print background (newspaper, magazine and book writer, magazine publisher) so sometimes I like the hard product. But I've got considerable digital experience as well (database publishing since the 80s, some e-access to my magazine's info since the 90s) and would probably have done most of my Time reading on my iPad. It's unfortunate Time still doesn't make it easy to dance with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.