Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyebidder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Minnesota
Hello,

I just got a iPod Touch 32gb 2G and synced some movies to it. Got an AV cable with the 3 RCA plugs + USB on one end and the typical iPod connector at the other end.

Tried to connect to my TV via the female RCA plugs(RYW) but got sound and no video out of the TV. Read a forum mesage that said Apple switched the plug configurations to R>Y, Y>W, W>R. Tried that and I got horizontal lines + sound out of the TV, no picture!

Tried this on another more up-to-date model of TV with RED > RED, etc. Got a nice picture + sound for about 5 seconds BUT iPod touch screen came up and said, "this accessory not supported by this Touch".

Can anyone explain this or give me any suggestions to fix?

thank you in advance!

ST:)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You need a supported accessory. They dropped the support for cheap knock-offs.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You mean an actual Apple AV cable? Mine is made in China. So the cable is the problem?

Thanks

The cable is the problem, but it doesn't have to be an Apple one ... it just has to be an Apple-licensed one. There are several manufacturers.

soarer123

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
hey eye bidder

you will need to buy "apple" branded composite or component av leads as belkin and many others wont work.
the cost will be around $60 a set.
i had a wiz bang argument at an apple retailer in melbourne and he showed me the belkin ones dont work.
i had 3 sets , now all useless except for sound.

hope this helps

dlangpap

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
Hi,

Ok so here's my story trying to play a video file I have on my Iphone 3Gs on my TV.

I got the .avi file on my computer. I get Buzz player. The file plays great on the Iphone but does not transfer to TV. Apparently only Iphone 4 is supported.
I download Handbrake to transform .avi to .m4v and transfer the file to my Iphone via Buzz. It does not play on the TV.

I try to sync the video via Itunes. It says that it has to replace all my music for the video to be transferred. I find this funny since I had already downloaded the file via Buzz, so it seems it is not a matter of space. For the sake of making this work, I do it. So I try to play the video from the Iphone's Ipod, but when connected to the TV, the file crashes after opening even though it plays fine just on the Iphone. Finally, I try running the video from "Photos" on Iphone and it works. However, there are constant black screen interruptions (every 5 secs or so) on the video when played on the TV.

So now I don't know how to proceed. Is it a problem of the AV cable (cheap made in China one) and should I get one from Apple for US$ 60? Kind of risky if it's not a problem with the cable...

Or is it a problem with the Iphone? Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

In any case, if someone knows of a better way to transfer the video to the Iphone and then being able to play it for TV out without having to erase all my Itunes music library from it, that would already be a great start.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.