Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Super news! A group of object oriented software engineers known as Develux has ported three Tux the (Linux) Penguin games to OS X: Tux Racer, Tux Kart, and Tuxedo T Pengiun - A Quest for Herring. These are some of the finer OpenGL games developer originally under Linux. The OS X translation is quite impressive. Hit their site and grab your downloads (screenshots there as well). We're pretty impressed.

danb

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2001
I don't get it...

Why all the negative ratings on this story. It looks like a Good Thing(tm). Unless their download speed is crap (I haven't tried it yet.) I don't see why anyone would think this is bad. Call me confused...

Dan

S

ScottL

Linux Games

This is a good thing. IMHO platform popularity starts with games. I mean who besides techies really get excited by having a command line interface, and BSD under the hood.

What better way to push some of the performance and compatibility issues. And if some of the fine folks developing for Linux see OS X as a common build/port target, then the number of software for our platform can only grow.

The ports mentioned here need a little refinement to better integrate with OS X, but they do seem to work. Kudos for the port of the games to OS X.

C

Confused

How do I get these to run?

I downloaded all three packages but they refuse to launch. Am I missing something? Or is this peculiar to me?

B

Brent Turbo

Linux Schminux

Games programmed by hobbyists aren't going to attract users to a platform. Particulary when the games feature the mascot of another operating system. The Mac will never be a "serious gamer's" platform for a few simple reasons.

1) Prohibitive cost. Serious gamers don't want all-in-one computers. They want frame-rate crunching powerhouses. To get the same framerates you'd get out of a $700 PC, you'd have to spend $3,500 on a Mac, and then watch your selection of games go from "everything on the market," to "Bugdom and that other game."

2) Precedence. The PC and game consoles are established leaders in the entertainment market. It's like sending car brochures to someone who just bought a car.

So games are a nice little bonus for mac users like myself, but I know that the strength of my computer lies in graphic design and audio production (or anything else where speed and creativity reign supreme). If anyone out there is waiting for the Mac to be the most popular computer on the market, stop it. It won't happen. At least not in our lifetimes.

E

Eh

Re: I don't get it...

Originally posted by danb
Why all the negative ratings on this story. It looks like a Good Thing(tm). Unless their download speed is crap (I haven't tried it yet.) I don't see why anyone would think this is bad.

Could be people who've actually tried to play the games... like me. In Tux Racer you can't customize the control keys, which means you're trying to steer with the microscopic arrow keys. Or, the last time I tried to fire it up, Tux Racer entered an endless spin, had to force quit and wound up trashing it.

I tried Tux Cart too; it plays the music but freezes the keyboard and mouse, had to hard reboot. Bang, into the trash.

And no, it's not my machine; plenty power and RAM. These games might be good some day, but for the moment they're really beta.

jimwick

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2001
Pasco WA
Re: Re: I don't get it...

Originally posted by Eh
Originally posted by danb
Why all the negative ratings on this story. It looks like a Good Thing(tm). Unless their download speed is crap (I haven't tried it yet.) I don't see why anyone would think this is bad.

I can't for the life of me see any usefulness to having a bunch of software engineers waste time developing computer games. Sure, they make money -- so what. Computers have better uses than games.

S

serious

gamers

"Serious gamers don't want all-in-one computers"

serious gamers?
hahahahaha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.