Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aeroflux

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
My launch day iphone 4 had a dead home button, took it into the Apple store the next day and they replaced it with my current iphone 4. It's been doing great for a few months, but over the last few weeks the unresponsiveness of the home button has been steadily increasing.

It sometimes seems impossible to get the app bar to come up (double-click) and instead it has a delayed response (like a 3G on ios 4) that brings me to the home screen, or search screen, depending on where the display is. It seems like a software issue as there are times when it works perfectly. That's why I'm posting this problem.

Is anybody else having this issue? I suspect the last update might have screwed it up. I'll attempt a full restore this weekend and see if that works.

drjac

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
unresponsive iphone 4 home button issue

I am having the same unresponsive iphone 4 home button issue, I have tried everything but an exchange.:mad:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It's not a software problem; it's hardware. It just sounds like your home button may be wearing out slowly. Once it gets unbearable, I'd get it replaced before the warranty is up.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm having the same problem. Its extremely annoying sometimes. I've just been dealing with it and trying to hang on until the iPhone 5.... I would take it to the Apple store but I fear they will tell me there's nothing wrong with it. Also some laziness is to blame.

Boxfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
It's definitely a hardware problem. Restoring the phone will not make any difference.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Same problem here. I posted a video on YouTube a few weeks ago before I sent it off to Apple for repair. The phone was only 5 weeks old at the time.

Apple sent the phone back unrepaired as their technicians could not find any fault. What a joke!!

You have an Apple Store near you? I would take it there to show them the problem.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Apple Store Not Helpful

I have sort of the same problem but...
Sometimes my button won't click, it just feels kinda mushy and it won't perform an action (go to home/open background apps) or sometimes double clicks when I only did a single click. This happens a few times a week. I took it to the Apple store last week and the Genious told me I shouldn't have so many and certain kinds of apps open all the time (like Facebook) that take memory. Ok, fine I said I would keep my apps to a minimum. After four days it had still happened a few more time. I just went back to the Apple store and the same guy help me. He said he would try to clean the button with compressed air. I asked what I should do if this continues to happen. He said that since it can't be replicated in-store, he couldn't help me. Since this problem only happens a few times a week my concern is that it will steadily get worse but by the time it fails it will be out of warranty.

What should I do?

BTW I have done 2 CLEAN restores one of them with a new download of the iOS.

Boxfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Fix!!!

Guys I cannot believe this!!! I fixed it!!!

I was putting some air into the tyres of my car this morning and I decided to give my iPhone a quick blast of air into to the bottom of the phone where the charger goes. It was just two quick blasts of air and it fixed this problem! I've had this problem for the past month and I've being testing it over the past hour and it's fixed 100%

Edit: few hours later the problem seems to be coming back :mad:

Last edited:

Boxfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
100% fixed!!!

I'm just after spending the last 2 hours replacing the home button on my iPhone 4 using this link. Job complete and working as good as new :D

43458786.jpg

55676576.jpg

85427181.jpg

and here is the culprit that was causing all the problems!

70705728.jpg

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I'm just after spending the last 2 hours replacing the home button on my iPhone 4 using this link. Job complete and working as good as new :D

Good one. How come you didn't go for a warranty exchange at an Apple store (I know you did try sending it in without luck)? I just had mine swapped out. I went in twice to one store and the tech (same guy both times) wouldn't swap it out. He tried a few things and sent me on my way. The third time I went to a different Apple store and they swapped it out immediately. Definitely back to normal.

Did you notice anything significantly different about the old button component compared to the replacement (click sound, button feel, etc.)?

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I'm considering getting mine replaced before the 1 year is up, my button is randomly not working, and sometimes takes 5-6 presses before it finally opens the multi-tasking bar. So annoying double tapping and it going to spotlight. I got mine on launch day and never had problems until a few months after and I noticed it wasn't recognizing presses as much. :( Guess it was because I was in love with it as soon as I got it and had to keep messing with it once I got it set up.

reaborg

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Santa Clara
I'm just after spending the last 2 hours replacing the home button on my iPhone 4

What did you notice about the old home button that was causing the issues for you? I've heard some threads mention that it is dust/lint buildup interfering with the electrical contacts.

Boxfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
What did you notice about the old home button that was causing the issues for you? I've heard some threads mention that it is dust/lint buildup interfering with the electrical contacts.

I didn't notice any difference between the two buttons. The old button still did the clicking noise just like the new one. I couldn't tell the difference between the two of them. The problem may have been caused by the flex cable or it may have been slightly off centre underneath the actual home button.

It's been a few days now and I've not had one single problem since. It's like a brand new phone and I actually enjoy using it again.

Double tap...multitask
Tap...home
Tap...spotlight
Tap...home :D

Boxfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Hey..

approaching an iphone repair store for iphone home button replacement is a very good option rather than messing up your whole phone..

I did think about sending it off to a repair service but after looking through that step-by-step guide in the link I posted above and with the right tools I decided to give it a shot myself. The actual home button cost me about 4 euro/5 dollars on eBay.

caspian

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
Ipad2 home button unresponsiveness on 4.3.2

Must either be a software thing or hardware or both. Seems at times the responsiveness is great at times it is not. Just got a new ipad2 and barely 5 days of using it. Had a developer multi touch gesture on so i didn't care to notice the home button unresponsiveness...but after a few try out on the home button to close apps or on the ipad after it goes to sleep then I notice the problem...taking it back to Apple store to exchange...but 3 weeks to wait!
:(

grim596

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
I've had this same problem with my launch day iPhone i sent it off and it was sent back to me unchanged, they couldn't find a problem apparently, it started a month before the warranty ended, they also told me some crap about not having so many apps open when i went into the store to show them. now it's 23 days after warranty end i have to attempt to replace the home button.

I'm about to buy one off eBay, just need to know if the the black circle that you see from the outside can be taken off the button and put on another without too much hassle? or is it one of those "You have to buy the whole assembly" situations like the screen?

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california

and here is the culprit that was causing all the problems!

Judging by your photos, it looks like you didn't take out the display/digitizer? Or am I wrong?

How difficult was it to disassemble? I'm afraid of screwing up the screen/digitizer if I do this :(

Boxfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Judging by your photos, it looks like you didn't take out the display/digitizer? Or am I wrong?

How difficult was it to disassemble? I'm afraid of screwing up the screen/digitizer if I do this :(

That's only a few photos I took. I did have to take out the display to get to the home button flex cable.

It took me that long that night as it was my first time doing it and I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess it up and I followed the instructions carefully.

I have done it once since and I had it done in about half an hour.

As long as you follow the step by step guide you should be ok.

B J M

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Me too. Is a one year warranty included with the iPhone? I forget

Skatewthmatt

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Same happened to my phone. Apple store wouldn't replace the phone for the life of them saying it's a software problem and that since my screen had a crack they wouldn't replace it unless I paid $200 to fix the screen first. O replaced the screen myself and noticed the little ribbon was off set. I put it back and it works good as new. Psh screw the apple store only cost $72 for a new DIY green front and back glass replacement too.

dangermouse7

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Had the same problem with my iphone4. Till found a solution:

1.) Open any application

2.) Press and hold the power button until the slide to shutdown swipe bar appears.

3.) Release Power button

4.) Press and hold Home button Lightly
until screen returns to icon screen

5.) Enjoy your functioning home button!!!

This procedure recalibrates the home button after normal wear or heavy use.

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I've just replaced mine. What was a frustrating UX has now become a pleasure again.

I found it pretty fiddly, although replacing parts in the 4 is LOADS easier than it was in the 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.