Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MR-Blood-Drive.png

Last year MacRumors held the first MacRumors Blood Drive, a successful effort to encourage blood and platelet donations by our forum members and site visitors, including first-time donors. This year we're doing it again!

Why? MacRumors is an online community where users regularly help each other. We're applying that spirit to the real world community by asking everyone who can to donate blood or donate platelets during the month of May. By donating at your local donor center you will help people who need blood or platelets to survive or recover from injury, surgery, or illness.

Why should you donate? Because one hour of your time can save the lives of three people in your city. Donating to charities is one way to help people in need, but no amount of money can replace a unit of blood or platelets when it's needed. Saving another person's life is the greatest act of charity.

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive:

1. Donate blood or platelets in May

Pick a day in May when you can spare an hour. Donate blood, platelets, or plasma at any donor center in your city.
2. Let us know about it
bandage-photo.jpg

The reward for donating is personal satisfaction that's hard to describe. But we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.

After you donate you'll get a bandage or plaster on your arm. Take a photo and show it to us by posting in this thread. Even if you don't get a photo, tell us about the donation you've made. Mention if it's blood or platelets, how many units, and if you're a first-time donor. We're keeping an Honor Roll (see below) to give you public thanks for your generosity and to encourage others.
3. Spread the word

Not everyone can donate. Some people are ineligible, based on rules that vary by country (see note below). If you're nervous as a first-time donor, talk to those who have faced that problem before you. Every donor has to take that first step.

If you can't donate, let others know about the need for blood and platelet donations. Convincing someone else to donate blood adds to the supply just as much as donating yourself. If you convince a friend or family member to donate, take a photo of their arm and post it here. We still want to recognize your effort.

Notes:
  1. This thread is for celebrating the participants in the MacRumors Blood Drive. Please use the accompanying news thread if you want to discuss the social issues regarding blood and platelet donations, including the ongoing debate about the eligibility restrictions on gay donors.

2. The MacRumors Blood Drive was proposed by and planned with forum member Shaun.P.

3. You are welcome to copy/paste this line into your forum signature:
    :) [color=red]I support the [thread=1146112]MacRumors Blood Drive[/thread]![/color] :)​
    It'll come out like this:
    :) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)

Last edited:

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
MR-Blood-Drive-Honor-Roll.png

The following MacRumors users have reported their blood, platelet, or plasma donation in this thread. Congratulations and thank you for doing your part to help people in need!

May 1 or before:
drewsof07: blood
tooz: blood
iXtina: blood
kainjow: blood, first donation
ulbador: blood
eawmp1: blood, 2 units
stridemat: blood
Doctor Q: platelets, 2 units
funone0: blood, 2 units
DoubleVision19: blood

May 2:
houdinize: blood, first donation
fysh3: platelets
Uffish Thought: blood, 1 unit; platelets, 1 unit
Alexmoo: blood, first donation
rneumann: blood, 1 unit; plasma, 2 units

May 3:
bpal1: platelets, 2 units
mosidee: blood, first donation
olela: blood
opspin: blood
erzeszut: blood

May 4:
mickbab: blood

May 5:
G4-power: blood

May 6:
iwbyte: platelets, 3 units

May 7:
iomar: blood

May 11:
silexh: blood

May 12:
spillproof and family: blood, 3 units
Monkeyfoahead: blood

May 13:
Jeff Meredith: blood

May 17:
shaynes: blood

May 24:
jbachandouris: blood

May 25:
Shaun.P: blood
skinuca: platelets, 3 units

May 27:
iwbyte: platelets, 3 units
FutureBlake: blood

32 Units of Blood, 15 Units of Platelets and 2 units of Plasma have been donated so far - 49 units total!

Last edited:

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
To find a donor center, eligibility information, and donation facts:

See our new Mac Guide: Blood and Platelet Donation

MacRumors members considering donating for the first time may be wondering what happens when you donate blood. Blood donation takes about an hour for a health interview, the setup, the actual donation, and relaxing afterwards. The actual blood draw takes only 5 to 15 minutes and makes a huge difference to the recipient who receives it. Here is an interactive demonstration of the procedure in the UK. Although the procedure in the US (or in other countries) may be slightly different, the underlying procedure is the same.

Donating blood is extremely rewarding. Most people are eligible but only approximately 3% to 4% of the population choose to donate blood. Unfortunately, this small percentage often doesn't meet the continual demand. Donating blood does save lives!

If you are interested in donating, find out if you are eligible and locate a donation center. In the new Mac Guide we've collected information about donation in many countries. If you know donation information for other countries please add them to the guide!

Thank You!

Last edited:

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I'm up to 3 and 3/4 gallons since I moved to this area (and more before that), but won't be eligible to donate again in May...but it is great to see more people helping!

funone0

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Donated double red blood cells

I donated two units of red blood cells on April 26th, it was my second time donating and it was at my high school, if I had known about this I would have waited until may, please include my donation in the total. :)

Uffish Thought

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Platelets & RBC's

I'm one hand typing as I donate platelets, plasma and RBC's right now at Blood Centers of the Pacific.

I've been donating for 25 years and have given >20 gallons, often giving platelets several times a month when called upon.

I'll post a pic when I'm done :D

:) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)

Attachments

• Blood Donation.jpg
    Blood Donation.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 300
Last edited:

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
After a quick phone call to the NHS, turns out I can't donate due to some treatment I had last year. So I apparently can't donate until august this year. But I will definitely post here when I do! SORRY! :(

Alexmoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Donated for my first time at my school Blood Drive for Canadian Blood Services today.
I donated 1 unit of blood, and other than a brief period of being less than fully conscious, it was a pretty great experience.
Great idea MacRumors, donating blood is such an important and under appreciated issue- hopefully the community steps up and donates.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Unless things have changed, I'm barred from donating anything, because I'm diabetic. But, I firmly support the cause.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Unless things have changed, I'm barred from donating anything, because I'm diabetic. But, I firmly support the cause.

Take heart, and ask.

Diabetes/Blood Pressure

Donors with well-established (not recently diagnosed) diabetes, who are controlled by diet, oral medications and/or insulin therapy, are eligible to donate

Controlling medications must have been used in the 24 hours before donation

Donors with controlled high blood pressure by diet, oral medications are eligible to donate

http://www.cbccts.org/donating/index.htm

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
Thank you so much, all. As a blood cancer sufferer I have had to rely on blood transfusions quite a few times when my own body wasn't producing blood properly.

In addition to giving blood and/or platelets I encourage everyone to register as a stem cell donor. Nowadays stem cell donation is quick and virtually painless, and you can save the life of a desperately ill person whose illness can be eradicated with just a few vials of your life-saving stem cells.

http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/Join_Now/join_now.html

Stem cell donors are urgently needed - there are long wait lists of patients who are dying. I might need a stem cell donor at some point in the future to save my life. Please register, it only takes a few minutes. The chance you will ever actually be needed as a donor is small (you'd have to be a perfect match on many blood criteria), and if you are contacted you can still refuse, so you are not committing to anything just by signing up.

mosidee

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Donated (blood) for my first time at The Thai Red Cross Society.

IMG_2564-1.jpg

Last edited:

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Thank you so much, all. As a blood cancer sufferer I have had to rely on blood transfusions quite a few times when my own body wasn't producing blood properly.

In addition to giving blood and/or platelets I encourage everyone to register as a stem cell donor. Nowadays stem cell donation is quick and virtually painless, and you can save the life of a desperately ill person whose illness can be eradicated with just a few vials of your life-saving stem cells.

http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/Join_Now/join_now.html

Stem cell donors are urgently needed - there are long wait lists of patients who are dying. I might need a stem cell donor at some point in the future to save my life. Please register, it only takes a few minutes. The chance you will ever actually be needed as a donor is small (you'd have to be a perfect match on many blood criteria), and if you are contacted you can still refuse, so you are not committing to anything just by signing up.

I can't donate (blood or stem cells, even my baby's umbilical cord blood) either due to my own cancer history, but I wanted to second this! Signing up to be on the bone marrow registry is as simple as a cheek swab, no needles involved.

I think my husband is due to donate blood again, I will remind him to do it this month!

mikey203

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Bristol
I'm both underweight and gay, so nit happening for me I'm afraid!! Will have to persuade someone else to give in my place!

olela

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Norway
Donated 500ml at my local hospital here in Norway earlier today.
It's my second time only, as we only give blood 3-4 times a year here.

This must be one of the easiest ways to help others... I hope more people start to donate:)

Attachments

• IMG_0264a.jpg
    IMG_0264a.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 259

vbed

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
UK
Thank you

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on these boards for a while (mostly watching the iPad2 threads, I got one on launch day by queueing up) and this is my first post.

I'd just like to say a heart-felt thank you to all of you who have decided to give blood, both on-going and for the first time because of this appeal.

I'm just an average Joe but my wife is suffering from an untreatable form of cancer. One of the side effects of cancer, and namely cancer treatments such as chemo and radiotherapy is that it quite often makes you anaemic - a lack of red cells in your blood.

When you're already dealing with the crap of cancer becoming anaemic is the last thing you want, it makes you short of breath, energy less and causes your heart-beat to race.

My wife has been treated for anaemia twice this year already, both times needing 2 units of blood to help her reverse the effects.

Without others generously giving blood her anaemia could have gone to be life threatening.

So thank you, thank you, thank you.

And if you're still deciding to give blood - do, if you can. Please. Everyone involved in taking the blood from you is great (they understand you're nervous) and you'll feel like a hero for at least 24hours. I know, I gave blood for the first time last month and I'm already signed up for another go in June.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.