Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uunio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Every where I have read and searched for help on how to set up a wired shared internet connection with my PC and iPod Touch appears to be knocked down with "why do you want that", "go get a wireless card" or some other avoidance technique altogether that never answers the question. The question is this: Imagine a scenario that I'm at work and I work for a super government agency that considers anything wireless a form of treason where when caught you will be shot on sight and then organs displayed as a lesson for the rest of the crew. On top of that they have this "Magic Technology" that dampens and disables all wireless signals from cell phones, to bluetooth and especially networking.

Ok super geeks! Time to think! I want to plug my iPod Touch into a Windows XP machine that has internet, share it's connection and have internet on the iPod Touch, without anything wireless at all!

I'm completely not interested in how I can counter the evil governments dampening technology or anything that defers me back to a wireless solution. All i want is to plug it in, maybe click a few things and be done with it.

I saw an application no Cydia that allows a PC to share the iPod's internet connection, so why can't that be reverse engineered to allow my iPod Touch Jailbroken and upgraded to 3.0 to share a computer's internet connection through the usb dongle I use to charge it up?

I know someone out there has to be smart enough and patient enough to walk me through this. Maybe send me an email at boy@woh.rr.com explaining to me exactly what I need to do, step by step.

I already know that everything I would be doing on the iPod Touch would still be on the company's network. I'm not trying to be tricky about anything. I am allowed to be on the internet at work, but I want to be using my iPod Touch instead of the Desktop Computer.

I have movie applications and game applications that I can use on my iPod Touch that require internet to work, and wireless anything is just not an option. No hotspots, no 3g cards, no bluetooth anything and certainly no wireless routers.

Just me, a desktop, iPod Touch and a cord running from my iPod Touch to the usb port in the back of the desktop.

Please don't confuse this thread with reason's why it won't work, I already know it can. I just need instructions from someone smart and patient.

I would be forever in your debt as this would be a wonderful thing. It may even stop people from starving all over the world and fix the economy as well as stop global warming. It may even get geeks some dates! So you see the importance in this happening.

Again I would forever be loving you if anyone could help me with this.

Oh and P.S. I'm so ticked off that I just bought my iPod Touch 45 days ago and now they are coming out with one with a camera and a microphone built in. I can't return mine after paying over $400 for it and I'm super mad about that.The store clerk even told me this one had all that stuff built in already, I should have known better...

Well here's to me praying someone can answer this and help me work miracles. Thank you thank you thank you.

Jonathan
boy@woh.rr.com

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Can't help you what so ever...but did want to point you to the Buyer's Guide tab up top. It is a nifty tool to give you an idea of where in the life cycle the current products are.

Cheers!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Please don't confuse this thread with reason's why it won't work, I already know it can. I just need instructions from someone smart and patient.

How do you know it can? I'll give you a hint: it can't. I'm not sure how much more firm I can get. The cable is only for syncing. I'm surprised that you can share internet from the Touch to a PC, but you most certainly can't do the opposite. Why? Because the iPod can't do it. It cannot get an internet connection from the dock cable, only over wireless. I assume the application you mentioned involves an app on the iPod that has to be running in order to share the internet. Apps can access the internet, but they're isolated from one another, so a theoretical app that could allow you to do this would quit as soon as you returned to the home screen, rendering Safari and Mail and the rest unusable.

The iPod Touch cannot get an internet connection via the dock cable. I rarely say that something can't be done because someone always seems to come along and prove me wrong, but I am confident enough to make that statement now. If they do, well, you're welcome. :cool:

Oh and P.S. I'm so ticked off that I just bought my iPod Touch 45 days ago and now they are coming out with one with a camera and a microphone built in. I can't return mine after paying over $400 for it and I'm super mad about that.The store clerk even told me this one had all that stuff built in already, I should have known better...

Was it worth the money to you at the time? If so, you made the right decision. If not, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Of course it would be replaced sooner or later. Technology is made to be obsolete. Buy what you need when you need it. End of story.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Sounds like you want to play on your ipod while at work. Must be nice to get paid, whilst not doing any work!!

Seriously, the only way you would get this to work would require some applications and network reconfiguration on your work PC. I am sure that the US government would have (or should have) their PCs fully locked down to prevent this.

If you are using your ipod during breaks, why not leave the building and go elsewhere where you can pick up wireless, or have an iphone.

Phil

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Actually, what tadad1 suggested looks like it might be worth a try.

It looks like that method requires a wireless network to create the initial connection (but the wireless network does not need internet access). If the OP is in a faraday cage, he won't be able to get past that step. I've never tried that method though, so I may be wrong.

If the place you want to use the ipod is locked down so tight that you cannot get a wireless router in, you would likely get canned for trying to access through your computer. In that case, just use the wireless router, you will still be canned, but at least you will have easy and fast access.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
And if it is really a government agency and you're willingly trying this, you better be ready to have a private chat with some very nasty security people. Maybe you will get a free vacation in gitmo; I hear the weather there is lovely.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Imagine a scenario that I'm at work and I work for a super government agency that considers anything wireless a form of treason where when caught you will be shot on sight and then organs displayed as a lesson for the rest of the crew.

Pics or it didn't happen! :p

This is pure speculation. Nothing has been announced by Apple. One could come tomorrow, or never.

uunio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Thank you!

You are all so wonderful! Thank you for the hilarious responses! Needless to say i do not work for national security so the world will still be safe from my occassional browsing on my iPod at the office. He he. The wireless method with no Internet connection could work! Trying it out tonight. Thank you for the post. Yes you ate right, I want to play while at work and yes it is a lovely benefit to be able to do so. I wish you all have a great fall and thank you again for reaponding!

Jonathan

idkmybffthomas

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
How do you know it can? I'll give you a hint: it can't. I'm not sure how much more firm I can get. The cable is only for syncing. I'm surprised that you can share internet from the Touch to a PC, but you most certainly can't do the opposite. Why? Because the iPod can't do it. It cannot get an internet connection from the dock cable, only over wireless. I assume the application you mentioned involves an app on the iPod that has to be running in order to share the internet. Apps can access the internet, but they're isolated from one another, so a theoretical app that could allow you to do this would quit as soon as you returned to the home screen, rendering Safari and Mail and the rest unusable.

The iPod Touch cannot get an internet connection via the dock cable. I rarely say that something can't be done because someone always seems to come along and prove me wrong, but I am confident enough to make that statement now. If they do, well, you're welcome. :cool:

Was it worth the money to you at the time? If so, you made the right decision. If not, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Of course it would be replaced sooner or later. Technology is made to be obsolete. Buy what you need when you need it. End of story.

I just made this acount to say you are wrong. my brother uses his brand new macbook bro with the internet from his iphone over the usb cable. it is a data cable, why can't internet be sent over it? simple put it CAN be done.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
idkbffthomas -- YOU are wrong: what you are describing is called 'tethering'. Your brother is using the iPhone to connect to the internet then pass it to his computer. The iPhone is just that -- a PHONE. It is ALWAYS connected, via cell service.

The iTouch is NOT a phone, and NOT connected via cell service.

Simply put -- you have no idea what you're talking about.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I just made this acount to say you are wrong. my brother uses his brand new macbook bro with the internet from his iphone over the usb cable. it is a data cable, why can't internet be sent over it? simple put it CAN be done.

Your reading comprehension leaves a bit to be desired. You're talking about sharing internet FROM an iPhone TO a computer over the dock cable. Everyone knows you can do that.

What the OP wants is to get internet FROM a computer TO his iPod Touch over the dock cable.

You opened an account to revive a two-year old thread that you didn't actually read? Really? :rolleyes:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011

Um, that's:

3G connection > iPhone > USB cable > Mac, it's called tethering.

OP wants *the exact opposite*

Wired connection > Computer > USB Cable iPod touch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.