Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeekPill

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
United Kingdom of GB & NI
Just buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-C...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304436094&sr=1-1-fkmr0 if you like playing your PS3 on your iMac. Also get EyeTV from Elgato (Software and most likely the best in the world).

Or using an old screen.

Some think its down to the little hack Apple used for the 2010 iMac and its mini DisplayPort cant be used with the Thunderbolt port. Maybe in time 3rd parties will be able to hack the system to reactivate the Display Only part.

blendermf

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Stratford, ON

blendermf

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Stratford, ON
People were jumping to conclusions because it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the tech specs.
(by people, I mean TUAW, which then spread)

igoodso

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
sorry

someone told me there was no target display mode

relief:D

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
I had an online chat on the apple store page .. they confirmed to me that you can connect a games console to the thunderbolt port the same way as before .. thunderbolt is a hybrid port - video+data .. does whatever you connect to it.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
thunderbolt is just the name .... its still essentially a minidisplayport .. you'd use your kanex xd or whatever the same way

No, Thunderbolt is not just a name. The port electronics are different. They are partially backward compatible, but not fully.

Target Display Mode on the new iMacs only works if you are driving it from another Thunderbolt source. The old mini-displayport sources will not work to drive the new iMacs. The 3rd party DVI to mini-DP adapters will not work with the new iMacs.

Edit: Hmmm, there seems to be some conflicting info about this. TUAW is reporting what I stated above:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/target-display-mode-missing-in-action-on-new-imacs/

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Updates from Tuaw:

UPDATE 2: Macworld has confirmation from Apple that the new iMacs will support Target Display Mode but only when the device they are connected to is also a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac; the trick won't work with older mini DisplayPort models.

So a new MacBook Pro connected to a new iMac will work, but older MacBook Pros will not, and a current MacBook Air won't work either. This also means the popular Kanex adaptors (which convert HDMI signals to mini DisplayPort ones, letting users plug things like games consoles into their iMacs) probably won't work with the new iMacs -- we've contacted Kanex to ask for confirmation.

This change is probably tied to the mini DisplayPort being replaced by two Thunderbolt ports. Whatever clever hack Apple did to make the mini DisplayPort connection bi-directional in the earlier iMacs is presumably difficult or impossible to replicate through Thunderbolt, as they have less control over the protocol (remember that Thunderbolt is an Intel design, and uses a special Intel communications chip).

UPDATE 3: Consider that, for legacy mini-DisplayPort devices to work, the Thunderbolt interface would need to consume a raw display signal -- not one wrapped up in the clever Thunderbolt protocol (note, PDF link) which combines PCIe and DisplayPort data into a single stream. This is probably why the new Thunderbolt ports cannot maintain backwards compatibility with older devices. However, when the device sending the signal also has Thunderbolt, they can negotiate a way to send the signal that the receiver can understand.

Not sure if this is the definitive answer or if it's something that could change with a firmware update.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Hmmm then I do hope Kanex or Atlona or... anyone will release an HDMI-to-Thunderbolt converter soon! Which SHOULD be able to transmit 1080p then because of the required Intel Thunderbolt chip which could do this.

Thunderbolt is also able to transmit power, so the optional power cable we see today for those converters could disappear!
That would be the perfect converter: no power cable and 1080p... come on bring it to me, and not for 150 but 100 dollars max please :D

KrrSplat

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
Just buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-C...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304436094&sr=1-1-fkmr0 if you like playing your PS3 on your iMac. Also get EyeTV from Elgato (Software and most likely the best in the world).

Or using an old screen.

Some think its down to the little hack Apple used for the 2010 iMac and its mini DisplayPort cant be used with the Thunderbolt port. Maybe in time 3rd parties will be able to hack the system to reactivate the Display Only part.

NO! Purchasing an HDPVR will NOT enable you to play your PS3/360 on your iMac in target display mode. The HDPVR is a video encoder device for recording source material while passing the original video to your TV with no lag what so ever. The HDPVR does not use HDMI, only RCA and Component input. The HDPVR only supports 720p and below resolutions. Not only that but the Elgato software you mentioned doesnt work well at all with the HDPVR. I have an HDPVR and i would like to hook up my 360 to my iMac, but i have to figure out how to get component in on my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.