Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hold

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I would like to download Whatsapp but to my understanding, it automatically adds everyone from my contacts to the app. I have work collogues and other contacts that I don't want to add. Is it possible to manually add all my contacts or is it done automatically?

Hold

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
if i have someone's number but they don't have mine, will i show up on their whatsapp contact list

Hold

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
No info in the FAQ and they didn't answer my e-mail that was sent well over a week ago.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I would like to download Whatsapp but to my understanding, it automatically adds everyone from my contacts to the app. I have work collogues and other contacts that I don't want to add. Is it possible to manually add all my contacts or is it done automatically?

No, it doesn't add everyone in your address book to the app. Anyone in your address book that also HAS the app will be put into the section called "favorites." You can remove anyone from this section that you don't want or block people that you don't want to be able to message you or see your status. People that have the app and ALSO have you in their address book will see you in their "favorites" section as well. You can only message and receive messages from other people that have the app.

Hold

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Thanks for the answer.

I have another question.

Say I have whatsapp on my iphone and have a contact called contact 'X' in my phonebook. Contact 'X also has whatsapp but doesn't have my phone number in his phonebook. Once I install whatsapp on my phone, contact 'X will show up on my list of favourites on whatsapp. Once he is added on my phone, am I added on his phone automatically?

Basically, my question is, if two people have whatsapp but only one person has the other persons number, what will happen?

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Thanks for the answer.

I have another question.

Say I have whatsapp on my iphone and have a contact called contact 'X' in my phonebook. Contact 'X also has whatsapp but doesn't have my phone number in his phonebook. Once I install whatsapp on my phone, contact 'X will show up on my list of favourites on whatsapp. Once he is added on my phone, am I added on his phone automatically?

Basically, my question is, if two people have whatsapp but only one person has the other persons number, what will happen?

No, contacts are only added to favorites if they're in your address book and their phone number matches the number they used to register with whatsapp. Just b/c someone shows up in your favorites doesn't mean that you're in theirs.

collisos

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Whatsapp is a great app, I've been using it for a while now and it works very well. Plus I use it with people with blackberries and droids. You should get it.

sarmor

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
I did not understand completely the WhatsApp behaviour.

If I connect to whatsapp, and I don't have a contact, say 133, what defines that he sees me in their whatsapp? Is enough that 133 has me in his contacts, or must I have him as well so he can see me?

This is in order to know if 133 will see me, regardless I have him or not in my agenda.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.