Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Toggle your mute switch.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I'm more prone to ask why.

Clearly to take pictures looking up girl's skirts without them noticing, duh! Kidding...No, I didn't have my phone on silent, and I went to take a pic of my 2 year old niece sleeping, and the sound woke her up. I don't need the 'sound' when I take pics.

It would be nice to allow some customization in iOS (custom text sounds, custom Mail sounds, turning off certain sounds when the phone isn't set to Silent).

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
that will not fix the annoying sound...its not a real shutter...why fake it.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
that will not fix the annoying sound...its not a real shutter...why fake it.

There are some countries (Japan I think) that are required by law to have the camera sound every time a picture is taken. This is to let others know what you've done. I believe this was due to people taking up skirt pictures with out permission, and the like.

i.e. Idiots doing things and ruin the fun for the rest of the world.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
There are some countries (Japan I think) that are required by law to have the camera sound every time a picture is taken. This is to let others know what you've done. I believe this was due to people taking up skirt pictures with out permission, and the like.

i.e. Idiots doing things and ruin the fun for the rest of the world.
^^^this

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Just ssh into the camera app, replace the camera sounds with silent ones. You can try just deleting or appending the file name with a _ or something so the app can't find it when it goes to reference it, but from memory it caused my phone (Japanese 3GS) to freeze.

edit: Just found and attached the files I modified if you wanted to do it that way. Leave the originals on the phone and just append something to the filename so that you can change them back to the original if you need to. NB: It's actually the phone's UI audio folder you ssh into, NOT the actual camera app folder.

Attachments

• cameraSounds_silent.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.