Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windkoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
I bought this MacBook Air on Apple Online Store last December. I found some crack lines back in February and now... It is getting serious! :(

dscf8350a.jpg

dscf8352a.jpg

windkoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Is anyone out there having the same problem or I'm just the unlucky one?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
My MBA is fine, and that certainly doesn't look right. It's still under warranty, so I'd take it into a store or contact customer services

windkoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
My MBA is fine, and that certainly doesn't look right. It's still under warranty, so I'd take it into a store or contact customer services

I bought this BTO MacBook Air online and I'm using it everyday. I think it will take time for time replace the keyboard to me. Another thing is... This baby don't have a removable hard drive, it will give me a hard time for transfering files... :(

ton123

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
YES i do have the same issue! looks exactly like yours
Its on the "5", "Y" and "." key.

I have been using 4 macbooks before this one and never had this kind of problem. I dont bash my keyboard, i type rather lightly actually and no nails.

Even if its caused by pressure it should happen on "ASDF", spacebar, or other vowel key instead rite?

Was quite a shock to found this crack as i babied my air so much :)

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Take it back! They'll replace the KB Assy without issue. If you have access to a store, it'll take about an hour, tops. If you continue to use it, and not do anything they'll take it as normal wear/tear, and won't be able to do much...

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
From the pictures, you do look like a hard typer. I can see dents in a lot of keys. But like most people said, just take it to apple.

marayas

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
What happened?

Did you take it to the store? the same is happening to me. I'm not sure if apple will replace the keyboard

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
How odd, I have never encountered or heard of this problem before. Watch me get it now... argh

mad4you

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2004
Same problem here

Hi,

I have encountered the same issue here, but thank god it only affects one single key on my MacBook Air 13" (2010) which I bought in January 2011.

I took it to a local Apple Premium Reseller (Data Quest AG in Bern) but the technician told me that I caused the damage and therefore, the keyboard cannot be replaced under warranty.

I will take my MacBook Air to the Apple Store in Zurich and hope to get a better customer service.

I took some pictures to share it with other people having the same problem:

6246017823_8959811619_z.jpg

6246541340_9116495df9_z.jpg

Looking at your picture, I can spot the same pattern of corrosion.

Regards,
Mario

Last edited:

raps100

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
me too

just noticed one of my keys doing the same. 8 months old. hardly used. taking it back to apple today. but from south africa so don't know what kind of service I will get.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I think this is a fairly common cosmetic issue with Air's. Mine from late 2010 is showing it on two keys.

thewoz

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
I thought macs were supposed to be the best and that's why they are so expensive. I have never ever seen this issue in a Windows PC laptop.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I thought macs were supposed to be the best and that's why they are so expensive. I have never ever seen this issue in a Windows PC laptop.

Apple have always been honest and eventually do honour any design flaws, if you look at their history they often do replace or fix these issues. It reminds me of the 2007 white 13 inch macbook palm rest which cracked and discoloured, they did fix these for people it did take some time, it seems like your not the only person with the issue and as you said it has occurred within a year so you should be fine.

IMG_0268.png

thewoz

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
eventually do honour any design flaws
Eventually eh? So. if I spend twice as much as I would in a Windows laptop and I go because my keyboard is cracked after normal use and then Apple tells me it was MY fault and they won't cover it, then what? Just buy the new "fixed" model next year I guess?

So, you're saying Apple charges me a premium to be their guinea pig.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Apple have always been honest and eventually do honour any design flaws, if you look at their history they often do replace or fix these issues. It reminds me of the 2007 white 13 inch macbook palm rest which cracked and discoloured, they did fix these for people it did take some time, it seems like your not the only person with the issue and as you said it has occurred within a year so you should be fine.

Yeah that happened really badly on every plastic white MacBook at my old school 3 or 4 years ago.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
then what? Just buy the new "fixed" model next year I guess?

So, you're saying Apple charges me a premium to be their guinea pig.

In short yes.

Lots of factors come into it whether or not you will be able to get a replacement or it fixed if you go to apple, sometimes it depends on what you tell them and the person working there and how confident or knowledgeable you are of laws, apples procedures, policies, and your rights.

To answer your question, I purchased a 2011 i7 13 inch Macbook Pro a month after its launch. To me there were obvious flaws with the product (heat issues, fan issues, spinning up and down). When performing simple tasks such as skype, watching youtube or full screen videos this would occur. To me its clear that there was something wrong with the design as it was wide spread and most people had similar problems. Such simple tasks could be better performed on other laptops for a third or quarter of the price. Apple claims that this is how the laptop runs and these fan, heat and noise issues are normal. I disagree and that was the main reason for why I sold the laptop after 3-4 months. I was pretty disappointed with the 13 MBP I started to look into getting a mba and now am waiting for the redesign.

thewoz

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
I was almost certain my next computer was going to be an Air. Then I ran into this Thread.

Don't tell me this is a common issue.

L

lukemcurley

Same issue here with MacBook Air (late 2010), not a hard typer, just seems to be a quality issue on some keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.