Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Okay, I'm going to spend the next month with the Dvorak Keyboard. Here is a quote from Wikipedia.

Dvorak proponents claim the Dvorak layout uses less finger motion, increases typing rate, and reduces errors compared to the standard QWERTY keyboard. This reduction in finger distance traveled was originally purported to permit faster rates of typing, and also in later years, it was purported to reduce repetitive strain injuries including carpal tunnel syndrome.

This part is about the QWRETY Keyboard Sholes thus focused his efforts on stopping jams, rearranging the keys to this end. Sholes commissioned a study to determine the most common letters and letter combinations used in the English language. Sholes then used the results of the study to scatter the common letters and combinations across the keyboard. This increased the time in making the jumps between the letters and helped to alleviate the jamming that occurred when two adjacent keys were struck too rapidly in succession.

Here is a picture of the layout.

800px-KB_United_States_Dvorak.svg.png

Here is how I changed the layout.

System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Settings > Look for Dvorak, click it (Go to Wikipedia to learn the differences)
Test it out, different huh, but the physical keys don't match. Use this. It will help. (Match the keys to the above picture)

Day 1: This is really kind of annoying. I'm doing "chopsticks" to find the right key like a 6 year old, but I'm not giving up so soon. Each day I will test my WPM using this. On a traditional keyboard, I can type about 40wpm. I'm hoping for this much by 1 month.
Day 1 Results:
9u89r7.jpg
I feel bad that sucks. I'll update again tomorrow. (Sorry, if my post lacks content I just type slow right now. XD)

Day 2: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12518572/ & https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12521809/

Feel free to join if you want and post your days and results too.
(Man, that took forever for a small post!)

Last edited:

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
A friend of mine, and co-worker switched to Dvorak a little while ago, hes up to about 30 WPM I think now, he has his work PC, home PC and Laptop all set to Dvorak.

He says he can still use Qwerty, but your brain almost 'un-learns' it when you start switching to Dvorak.

I can see the benefits, but I just don't have the time to spend learning a new layout. Potentially it's more efficient than Qwerty. From what I can gather Qwerty was actually designed to slow you down to a degree.

My Qwerty WPM is about 80 WPM currently. Not amazing, but it gets me by.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have tried this around 6-7 years ago. I lasted around 2 days, and I only used the Dvorak layout while posting at MR. It was still too much for me. :eek: :(

To me, the problem was that the letters on the keyboard were always going to be wrong, so you can no longer look at it. It wouldn't help.

Good luck, though. I may try this one more time for fun. :)

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Day two (morning): So getting tired of chopsticks, I decided to Google "Dvorak Typing Lessons". This is probably cheating, but doing just the first lesson helped. I no longer do "chopsticks" since the most used keys are in the home row, but I still need to look. I will post speed test results when I get home tonight, but I feel like abut 13 WPM.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
This post was typed using Dvorak, and took around 3 minutes to type.

Heh, I'm getting better since I did a typing lesson online to learn the home row. ;)

Edit: Day two results:
2q20bwm.jpg
Slightly better!

Last edited:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I popped all of the keys off my old iMac g3 keyboard a while ago to rearrange them and play the Dvorak game...I didn't last very long :eek:. I use many different keyboards every day, so being used to typing on one that doesn't match the rest would probably be a big disservice. Plus I can type 100wpm on qwerty. :D

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
I used to the Dvorak keyboard for roughly a year, but switched back to Qwerty about six months ago. I noticed no difference in speed between either; I typed ~75 WPM on each. But it was funny when someone tried to type something on my computer.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I popped all of the keys off my old iMac g3 keyboard a while ago to rearrange them and play the Dvorak game...I didn't last very long :eek:. I use many different keyboards every day, so being used to typing on one that doesn't match the rest would probably be a big disservice. Plus I can type 100wpm on qwerty. :D

Heh, that's funny.

I used to the Dvorak keyboard for roughly a year, but switched back to Qwerty about six months ago. I noticed no difference in speed between either; I typed ~75 WPM on each. But it was funny when someone tried to type something on my computer.

I would've kept it with the Dvorak just for that last part!

Macsaurus

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
When I saw this thread 2 days ago I decided to learn Dvorak :)

I started yesterday at noon (after I popped and moved around the keycaps of my Macbook), and last night I reached 10 WPM with 1 error.

Today I spent the day using MasterKey and achieved 17 WPM with 0 errors :D Still got a while to regain my QWERTY speed of 52 WPM.

Thanks InsanelyApple for introducing me to Dvorak :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.