Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Hi All I am currently on vacation in Rarotonga, Cook Islands. I have got my macbook with me but am experiencing some issues with it. First of all I am occasionally getting small electric shocks from the screw area next to my superdrive slot. Secondly my battery meter is sort of screwed up. It jumps around eg from 15% remaining to 65%, or randomly goes into sleep mode eg 80% remaining like it has run out of battery. Also sometimes my battery wont charge without being disconnected and reconnected.
Here is some info about my battery

and Specs about my Macbook
1.83ghz CD with 2gb of ram running 10.5.1

Can someone please tell me whats up with my macbook, Cheers

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Hi again, I have removed the battery and still am occasionally given an electric shock and another issue has arisen, being the light on my magsafe Power adaptor only works sporadically. Also Yesterday my keyboard/trackpad froze only my usb mouse would work. After shutting down my macbook, it wouldn't turn on normally and only turned back on after holding down the power button for 15 seconds after which my keyboard etc worked again. How serious is this and what is happening to my beloved macbook :(

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Issue still not resolved, even now that Im back at home after my long vaction in the sun, taking it into the shop tomorrow, have been using it without battery and still am being sporadically shocked.

doclats

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
Macbook shock

Dawnraid, Can you please let me know what the shop told you about the problem you were having with your macbook shocking you? My wife's macbook is doing the exact same thing, from the screws on the side of the computer.
Thanks

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Dawnraid, Can you please let me know what the shop told you about the problem you were having with your macbook shocking you? My wife's macbook is doing the exact same thing, from the screws on the side of the computer.
Thanks

Same here. Shocks from the two metal screws on the right side front (near the optical drive). It's winter where I am, and it mainly happens when I do things that would generate static (such as moving around my couch, which is a polyester fibre). So, I'm assuming when I'm plugged in, I'm just discharging the static through the Macbook to the ground on the power wire.

I'd like to hear from others if you think this is serious.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Hi sorry for the late response. I got my macbook back from the shop a while ago, they were not able to replicate the shocks, therefore were not able to do anything about them. Although they have seemed to have stopped since I have gotten my macbook back, weird?????. Also they replaced my battery for free even though my macbook is about 8 months out of warranty, I dont know why. I doubt battery replacement was the solution for the shocking as even when I used to run it on AC power with the battery disconnected it would still shock me, so that kinda rules out the battery being a problem. Anyways I now have a brand new battery and a macbook which doesnt shock me and do weird things :)

vrod1234

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
MacBook Shock

Same here. Shocks from the two metal screws on the right side front (near the optical drive). It's winter where I am, and it mainly happens when I do things that would generate static (such as moving around my couch, which is a polyester fibre). So, I'm assuming when I'm plugged in, I'm just discharging the static through the Macbook to the ground on the power wire.

I'd like to hear from others if you think this is serious.

I get a shock from the screws on either side of the computer when I pick it up with both hands ( one on either side) and I come in contact with a screw on each side at the same time. It's almost like I am completing a circuit. It's not a static electric shock. I can feel a steady flow of current which does not hurt but is uncomfortable.

Vrod

mbriant

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
It's winter where I am, and it mainly happens when I do things that would generate static (such as moving around my couch, which is a polyester fibre)
Same here. It usually happens when I'm shuffling around to get out of my recliner and holding the computer at the sides. I was thinking the power cord popping out, which often happens as I move, was causing it. It seems like static because I can't seem to reproduce it when I try ... but there's never a static crackling sound accompanying it. It does seem to be coming from the small screws on the side of the case. This is a late 2007 black MacBook.

mecano

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
Two weeks ago, I had an electric shock touching the macbook trackpad (I suspected I was staticaly charged). After this I experienced several weird behaviours :

-keyboard and trackpad not working after waking from sleep, plugging an external usb trackball did work though, after a restart all was resumed to normal functionnality but I didn't take the chance to put the macbook to sleep again.

-under high hard drive activities + burning a dvd, the screen backlight turned off, computer is still alive but the screen is so dark it is barely readable. Under same conditions the macbook suddenly shut down (yes I did reproduce the behaviour to see -with and without the battery in-).

My macbook is 2 years old and had the top cover replaced two times (one time for the yellowish problem, second time for the cracks problem), Apple replaced the power supply as well as it died with sparkles near the block.
My battery died last month (too much cycles) which is I guess quiet normal for a battery that aged.

I've now removed the battery for good while waiting for a replacement one but I wonder how electrical troubles have far gone in the inner of the beast.

mickey7

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
shocked to find out I am not alone

I purchased my macBook just two days ago and started receiving shocks first on my right hand and then the left. Seems to happen more if I have it plugged in. When I reported the problem to apple care they didn't indicate to me that this problem existed for others. My daughter found this thread for me so I am glad to see I wasn't crazy, that I truly felt what I felt! Are they able to fix the problem after it is serviced? Is the mac worth keeping?:eek:

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I purchased my macBook just two days ago and started receiving shocks first on my right hand and then the left. Seems to happen more if I have it plugged in. When I reported the problem to apple care they didn't indicate to me that this problem existed for others. My daughter found this thread for me so I am glad to see I wasn't crazy, that I truly felt what I felt! Are they able to fix the problem after it is serviced? Is the mac worth keeping?:eek:

Yes it was strange. My macbook was out of warranty when i began getting shocked by it. I took it in to apple to get it looked at and they had no idea what was going on, nor could they reproduce the shocks, and tests showed nothing abnormal. Renaissance (apples New Zealand distributer) replaced my battery anyway and the shocks stopped, I have had no problems with my MB for over a year (when I originally made this thread). However I dont really think it was the battery that was causing the shocks, it as probably something to do with the laptop not being electrically grounded correctly? Are you using an extension cord? I dont really know much about the shocks but it is very mysterious, perhaps ask for a new battery, or request a replacement?, but first check how you are powering your macbook, maybe use it at a different location other than your house to see if you get shocked? Good luck, let me know how it works out

mattyweasel

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Shocked As Well

When I use two laptops at once (both macbooks) i get a pretty good jolt, and the jolt increases as both my hands are on both laptops at the same time, I am going to find the volts between these two machines in the future. Anyone else having the same problem.

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Having issues here, not sure whether to attempt to make a warranty cliam or accept is normal.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
it happens to me this time of year and now that I'm back home for a few days even more. I use my mbp mostly at my old desk and I have carpet on my room, so when I walk to the computer I get charge and I get a small shock sometimes hen touching my mbp.
I then got one of those protective mats for the carpet and now it happens more often. Nothing I can do here really, so I just touch my lamp before touching my mbp. I forget sometimes and I still get shocked every once in a while though.

analogirl

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
hummm

seem to be having the same issue here. my macbook pro which i just purchased in July has been shocking me for about 2 months now... Just a month after i purchased it, the charger "Blew out!" so the mac store replaced it with no additional charge... They couldn't explain why it happened or if it had happened before to other mac customers...

Well now i use the 3 prong charger only... the top of my computer gets really hot, and then "Buzzzzz" i get shocked... i haven't even bothered contacting Apple about the issue... Can anyone offer ANY suggestions?

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
seem to be having the same issue here. my macbook pro which i just purchased in July has been shocking me for about 2 months now... Just a month after i purchased it, the charger "Blew out!" so the mac store replaced it with no additional charge... They couldn't explain why it happened or if it had happened before to other mac customers...

Well now i use the 3 prong charger only... the top of my computer gets really hot, and then "Buzzzzz" i get shocked... i haven't even bothered contacting Apple about the issue... Can anyone offer ANY suggestions?

It is a flaw of full metal bodied laptops conducting power. (though you will surely get excuses from fanboys saying its your fault and flaws do not exist) Dell had a big stir a while back about one of theirs doing this. Once I put the plastic palm guards on I rarely notice anything anymore as they insulate me. I guess plastic body covers or a case would do similar for the outside. Yeah it sucks but it's one of those flaws they won't ever admit to publicly due to the cost to them that would occur.

Mine does it to a degree no matter what power source or adapter is being used and so do others I have tried. It's logical that metal and electricity are going to have issues if not properly insulated. I have heard loads of excuses here even some "expert" saying "what do you expect when you run a 110v item on 220v"? Nevermind the fact that they are designed for both voltages which are both widely used all over.

When you contact Apple they are going to say "we have never heard of this before, you are the first person in the history of MBPs who has ever mentioned this":rolleyes:

wrcraigl

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
Macbook Shock

I have had issue with that macbook shock. It has been doing it randomly for about 5 months now and becoming more frequent during the 5 months I have gotten the power cord and battery replaced. I noticed it had something to do with those screws. The shock has gotten a bit more extreme. It now travels up through my headphones(apple headphones) and into my ears. So it will shock my hands and ears. It has nothing to do with static. I am not wearing any shoes just bare feet. I thought I had noticed that it depends on how you might hold it that if you might put to much pressure somewhere, it sends a bit of a charge to all the metal on the computer. Today it had shocked me about 8 different times which is a pain in the ass if you ask me when your trying to get something done. I have this macbook for almost 4 years now.

INEEDANOTEBOOK

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2010
Icy City
I have had issue with that macbook shock. It has been doing it randomly for about 5 months now and becoming more frequent during the 5 months I have gotten the power cord and battery replaced. I noticed it had something to do with those screws. The shock has gotten a bit more extreme. It now travels up through my headphones(apple headphones) and into my ears. So it will shock my hands and ears. It has nothing to do with static. I am not wearing any shoes just bare feet. I thought I had noticed that it depends on how you might hold it that if you might put to much pressure somewhere, it sends a bit of a charge to all the metal on the computer. Today it had shocked me about 8 different times which is a pain in the ass if you ask me when your trying to get something done. I have this macbook for almost 4 years now.

There is a new thread about that -- Users who have this pb usually don't feel any electric current by using the extension cord (3 prong). :)
Whether it solves the leakage or not is still not clear, though...

INEEDANOTEBOOK

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2010
Icy City
Hi sorry for the late response. I got my macbook back from the shop a while ago, they were not able to replicate the shocks, therefore were not able to do anything about them. Although they have seemed to have stopped since I have gotten my macbook back, weird?????. Also they replaced my battery for free even though my macbook is about 8 months out of warranty, I dont know why. I doubt battery replacement was the solution for the shocking as even when I used to run it on AC power with the battery disconnected it would still shock me, so that kinda rules out the battery being a problem. Anyways I now have a brand new battery and a macbook which doesnt shock me and do weird things :)

This problem has been known for YEARS and they act as if they don't know about it? :mad:

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Just stumbled across this old post ... apparently when they replaced the battery they also replaced the logic board aswell, without telling me.

I only realised this a few weeks ago as when I opened up system profiler to look up my serial number ... I didint have one and apparently this means that the logic board was replaced at some point.

qwerty0033

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
This thread will definitely solve your problems/doubts about the three pin plugs. I used to use a 3pin and my new MBP 15" shocked me all the time :eek:
until I changed to the OTHER 3pin plug...

Your Solution

I wish they'd make a grounded short 3pin plug :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.