Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

You Tell Me.

• iPad 1 - 32GB

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • iPad 2 - 16GB

Votes: 48 77.4%

• Total voters

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello!

I have an iPad1 16GB back in the U.S. that my baby brother has taken claim. He's 2 1/2 years old and our mother will not give it up at all. The iPad 1 has all of his Disney films on it, alongside ABC type apps, etc.

Originally the iPad 1 was only for me, however as time progressed my little bro began taking it w/ him on morning car rides, which worked flawlessly in subduing his crying and whatnot.

My birthday is coming up and cannot go back to not having an iPad. I can't take his and in all honesty, 16GB was too low of memory. 32GB should be more than enough but my dilemma is whether I get iPad 1 - 32GB, or iPad 2 - 16GB.

I'm currently located in China, with the iPad 2 going on sale tomorrow, but even the 16GB iPad 2 in China will cost about $616. I'm flying into NYC on May 17th and will probably receive it as a gift then.. (i've hinted :rolleyes:)

But the concern here is whether if I should opt for last's generation iPad 1, consisting of more memory....or a lighter, faster (which I really like) new version..but half the memory.

There are iPad 2's in China, but selling at closer to $1000 in the city i'm in. Nevertheless I played with one today for an hour at a small fake Apple store and loved how smooth the scrolling and typing on the iPad 2 was. Moving between tabs in Safari felt very different from the iPad1 back home. The speed of the iPad2, and the (small) reduction in weight are pro's in weighing my decision towards an iPad2. But I can't seem to get around it being 16GB's and not 32GB+

Of course, all my problems would be solved if I opted for a 32GB iPad 2. :D

...But price is a major concern for any purchase.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
Spend the extra $100 for the 32gb. I dont see how anyone could be fine with only 16 gigs on a device like the iPad. I don't even think 16 gigs is enough for the iPhone, let alone a device that is even more for multimedia.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Spend the extra $100 for the 32gb. I dont see how anyone could be fine with only 16 gigs on a device like the iPad. I don't even think 16 gigs is enough for the iPhone, let alone a device that is even more for multimedia.

I'll counter this by saying that I think the opposite is true. I use my iPad as mostly a web browsing, reading and streaming device while I use my iPhone more for music and entertainment. When I TRAVEL I might put some videos and such on the iPad but for day to day use, I definitely require more space on my iPhone.

princealyy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Although I am gung ho about getting a first generation iPad I think you should go with what your heart wants ... Just an FYI the Verizon store is selling the 32gb wifi for 399 if you can find it.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Get the 2 with as memory as your budget allows. It can't be upgraded later, I'd get it with the max.

rowuncw

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
I'm of the opinion that capacity shouldn't really be a major deciding factor when looking at tablets, including the iPad. With more and more tasks occurring in the cloud, and the growing availability of wifi hotspots, I personally would opt for the iPad 2 with less space. Really the only exception to this is if you are going to be away from any sort of data connection for a very long time and have to have all your entertainment with you.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

16GB is more than enough when you only stream and watch music & movies(prefer to do it over wifi of course). Only thing I keep on my iPad is dates for my gigs and pics. I also have a 80GB iPod as well that is strictly for music purposes.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Really, it all depends on how you use the device. If you don't want to load a lot of music or videos (or use apps that create/view them), then a 16GB will be fine. Over time though, you may have to start juggling what you need on your iPad vs what you want. You'll have to use iTunes or the upcoming cloud service to pick and choose. Getting 32GB gives you more breathing room or buffer space so you don't have to sift through your collection. I picked the 32GB for this reason. I also think with the jump in processing and video power with iPad 2 and the upcoming iOS 5 release, we'll start seeing bigger apps that take advantage of them.

** update: and I just read the original post more closely. Whether to get either an iPad 1 or an iPad 2. I'd get the iPad 2, even with less memory. I'd rather have the jump in processing/video power and deal with managing apps.

Last edited:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
It comes down money, if you can afford it, u get the 32 or 64. 16 should be enough if you don't care about putting videos or put huge game apps in there.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I know $100 is $100...but for something like an iPad 2 to get double the memory, I can't see going with the 32gb.

If like some of the posters above you are only going to use it for browsing or streaming, the 16gb would seem to be enough.

I know I at LEAST need a 32gb...so at that point I immediately decided for the 64gb...I'll spend $100 on groceries today that will be gone in a few days, so why not spend that same amount on the memory I will probably need in the future (or now have the option of filling up now)?

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
16GB is more than enough when you only stream and watch music & movies(prefer to do it over wifi of course). Only thing I keep on my iPad is dates for my gigs and pics. I also have a 80GB iPod as well that is strictly for music purposes.

Yea it all depends on what the person wants to use it for. I dont have a laptop so I plan on making the ipad my laptop. So I want pretty much all of my music from iTunes and pics/vids from iPhoto onto my iPad.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Go for a used 64GB iPad 1. Search the local craiglist or kijiji in the US. You should be able to find one around or less than $500.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I went from 1st gen 32GB to iPad 2 16gig, don't regret it.

After a month of ownership with iPad 1.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I'm of the opinion that capacity shouldn't really be a major deciding factor when looking at tablets, including the iPad. With more and more tasks occurring in the cloud, and the growing availability of wifi hotspots, I personally would opt for the iPad 2 with less space. Really the only exception to this is if you are going to be away from any sort of data connection for a very long time and have to have all your entertainment with you.

It's hard to give such a blanket statement as "capacity shouldn't really be a major deciding factor." It all depends on how the person uses their iPad.

For me, 16GB is definitely NOT enough. 32GB is the minimum and largely this is due to using a large number of apps and storing a lot of academic PDF books on my iPad. I don't always have access to Wifi and prefer to turn it off when not using the network.

So, yes, capacity was a major deciding factor for me when determining whether to get the 16GB or 32GB version.

Oh, I should say that "Cloud services" is not all that important for me as I don't use it much. It's a very small and insignificant portion of how I work. Cloud isn't for everybody.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Get the 2 with as memory as your budget allows. It can't be upgraded later, I'd get it with the max.

Ditto.

If you do receive an iPad 2 16GB as a gift, one thing you could do is return it at the Apple store, get the refund, THEN put in an extra $100 to get yourself an iPad 2 32GB.

I think this would work, though I'm not 100% sure.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
depends what you're going to use it for. i have 20gig of music, to the 16gig model is right out. 32 minimum for me.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Although I am gung ho about getting a first generation iPad I think you should go with what your heart wants ... Just an FYI the Verizon store is selling the 32gb wifi for 399 if you can find it.

Would purchasing it from Verizon still include a 1 Year AppleCare from Apple?

This thought alone makes me want to get a 32GB iPad 2, with the mindset of knowing I won't be upgrading to the iPad 3 or even 4 when the time comes.. In other words, the thought of splurging on a 32GB iPad2 makes me think (internally to myself) that I shouldn't be romanticized when the iPad 3 and 4 come out.

I agree with you on this one as well. Currently in China, i've been in numerous situations where i've been without WiFi of any kind for days, and a few times for weeks. I'll be going back to the U.S. soon, with no intention to go back abroad...

So I do agree with your statement of a 16Gb iPad 2. But I believe that (secretly) I want my iPad to resemble my MBP as much as possible and my MBP has over 100 movies in iTunes, over 20 seasons of different TV shows, etc. With iTunes Home Sharing I don't see the need to have my media taking up space on my iPad, and am also currently looking into one of the array of apps that'll allow me to stream iTunes media to my iOS device, so long as i'm connected via WiFi & my MBP is on at home. I do agree with your statement, but at times feel restricted as to how many and which apps I want to put on my iPad.

Really, it all depends on how you use the device. If you don't want to load a lot of music or videos (or use apps that create/view them), then a 16GB will be fine. Over time though, you may have to start juggling what you need on your iPad vs what you want. You'll have to use iTunes or the upcoming cloud service to pick and choose. Getting 32GB gives you more breathing room or buffer space so you don't have to sift through your collection. I picked the 32GB for this reason. I also think with the jump in processing and video power with iPad 2 and the upcoming iOS 5 release, we'll start seeing bigger apps that take advantage of them.

** update: and I just read the original post more closely. Whether to get either an iPad 1 or an iPad 2. I'd get the iPad 2, even with less memory. I'd rather have the jump in processing/video power and deal with managing apps.

It's posts like these I was secretly hoping for (..and now regretting) considering you're making great sense.

As a side note, while playing with the iPad 2 earlier today for about an hour...I noticed the left side was very warm to the touch. More than warm, but not HOT. I'm wondering if it was simply that particular device I used, or if its common. Again, in this small city i've only seen this one unit in person.

It comes down money, if you can afford it, u get the 32 or 64. 16 should be enough if you don't care about putting videos or put huge game apps in there.

I'm not a big gamer, though I do have N.O.V.A. HD & Real Racing as well. At most my iPad consists of numerous productivity apps and things to get me by. Regarding games, I like to have a "Games" folder for those few and rare times I can kill time at the Dentist's Office.

Ditto.

If you do receive an iPad 2 16GB as a gift, one thing you could do is return it at the Apple store, get the refund, THEN put in an extra $100 to get yourself an iPad 2 32GB.

I think this would work, though I'm not 100% sure.

This would be a great option, should the opportunity arise.

princealyy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Yes it will include the full warranty.

Would purchasing it from Verizon still include a 1 Year AppleCare from Apple?

This thought alone makes me want to get a 32GB iPad 2, with the mindset of knowing I won't be upgrading to the iPad 3 or even 4 when the time comes.. In other words, the thought of splurging on a 32GB iPad2 makes me think (internally to myself) that I shouldn't be romanticized when the iPad 3 and 4 come out.

I agree with you on this one as well. Currently in China, i've been in numerous situations where i've been without WiFi of any kind for days, and a few times for weeks. I'll be going back to the U.S. soon, with no intention to go back abroad...

So I do agree with your statement of a 16Gb iPad 2. But I believe that (secretly) I want my iPad to resemble my MBP as much as possible and my MBP has over 100 movies in iTunes, over 20 seasons of different TV shows, etc. With iTunes Home Sharing I don't see the need to have my media taking up space on my iPad, and am also currently looking into one of the array of apps that'll allow me to stream iTunes media to my iOS device, so long as i'm connected via WiFi & my MBP is on at home. I do agree with your statement, but at times feel restricted as to how many and which apps I want to put on my iPad.

It's posts like these I was secretly hoping for (..and now regretting) considering you're making great sense.

As a side note, while playing with the iPad 2 earlier today for about an hour...I noticed the left side was very warm to the touch. More than warm, but not HOT. I'm wondering if it was simply that particular device I used, or if its common. Again, in this small city i've only seen this one unit in person.

I'm not a big gamer, though I do have N.O.V.A. HD & Real Racing as well. At most my iPad consists of numerous productivity apps and things to get me by. Regarding games, I like to have a "Games" folder for those few and rare times I can kill time at the Dentist's Office.

This would be a great option, should the opportunity arise.

iAndrea

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Delaware
I have a hard time filling up the 16G so it's enough for me, specially with Dropbox and company providing alternative cloud storage.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
I went with a 16gb iPad 2. I figure I'll sell it when the 3 will be coming out, and judging by the amount people who had the 32, and 64gbs lost in terms of resale value, it's a better value to just get the 16gb if you are going to end up selling it always.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Get the iPad2 32 gig, and yes you will get a 3 or 4 , that's the best part about iPads they hold their value, I sold my iPad1 16 gig for 375. In a few days. Then the 2 wasn't tha much. You will get that extra hundred back when it's time to upgrade.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Get the iPad2 32 gig, and yes you will get a 3 or 4 , that's the best part about iPads they hold their value, I sold my iPad1 16 gig for 375. In a few days. Then the 2 wasn't tha much. You will get that extra hundred back when it's time to upgrade.

All of you guys are selling me on the 16GB iPad2.

I created this thread thinking my thoughts would be reassured on the iPad 1.

I love you guys.

I love you.

N23

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
I have a 32GB only because that's what I came across at BB,
but I think a 16GB would have been just fine.

Next iPad will most likely only be a 16GB.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010

16gb is plenty. You don't need to save everything lol.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
"I can't take his and in all honesty, 16GB was too low of memory"

I think the OP answered his own question. . . .

Personally, having bought the 16gb first time around, I realise that it fills up quickly. I will be buying the 64gb next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.