Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
A stolen app that doesn't actually stream anything is not "having it."
This...
Android won't "have it" until Netflix makes the release official.

Right now all Android has is the Blockbuster app.
And it won't work if your phone is rooted.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
If you drive down the street you see millions of cars that look very much alike, but car makers don't waste time suing each other over style similarities because they can rely on the performance specifics of their cars, and the buyers will compare and choose what's best for them.

Apple must be very worried about the slew of tablets coming out and it knows that its window of dominance is closing.
They are afraid of the competition.

I was playing with a Xoom last week, and it's every bit as good as the iPad2, even without its Flash or micro sd card slot active yet. Honeycomb is a fantastic OS and Apple knows what this means. I am very pleased with the emerging competition. It's good for the consumer.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
The other thing you should have added is that Google Maps on Android has supported offline caching since December last year.
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/12/16/google-maps-5-with-3d-buildings-now-available-for-android/

Perhaps if people have isues where they lose their data connection whilst using gps they should move to a more reliable network?

Andy, at what point were these "non-techies" confused at what is an actual iPhone? Was it at the point of sale because if it was, every single mobile phone/electronics shop I go in to has their phones laid out with specifications and information about the product they are looking at. If people are dumb enough to buy the "wrong" product at this point in the sale, what hope is there for them?

If people do really buy samsung stuff instead of apple due to confusion/sales-pitch even though they had intended to buy apple stuff, Apple should be thanking samsung for keeping such clueless people out of Apple stores. can you imagine the tech support Apple store clerks would have to provide?

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
If you drive down the street you see millions of cars that look very much alike, but car makers don't waste time suing each other over style similarities because they can rely on the performance specifics of their cars, and the buyers will compare and choose what's best for them.

Apple must be very worried about the slew of tablets coming out and it knows that its window of dominance is closing.

I was playing with a Xoom last week, and it's every bit as good as the iPad2, even without its Flash or micro sd card slot active yet. Honeycomb is a fantastic OS and Apple knows what this means. I am very pleased with the emerging competition. It's good for the consumer.

Carmakers sue each other all the time, for things as silly as the number of slits in the front grill.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Carmakers sue each other all the time, for things as silly as the number of slits in the front grill.

Ha! Jeep vs Hummer?

And Jeep lost, partly because even though many people did show confusion between the two brands, the actual buyers themselves did not.

Of course, it also helped that the court ruled that GM had no intention of causing confusion. Not sure that Samsung would get away with that.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Ha! Jeep vs Hummer?

And Jeep lost, partly because even though many people did show confusion between the two brands, the actual buyers themselves did not.

Of course, it also helped that the court ruled that GM had no intention of causing confusion. Not sure that Samsung would get away with that.

Sure about that intent thing? Intent isn't an element of trademark infringement, so not sure why it would come up. (Maybe in some sort of state law unfair competition claim?)

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
"Silly" being the operative word here.

Not at all.

Some of you guys really don't understand how important design is.

For instance, I have a very distinctive modern retro look car, but if a Chinese company were to copy it and start selling it, all hell would break lose. Companies don't invest large amounts of money designing something and then marketing it at huge cost, for someone to come along and copy the bits they like and chuck it out at much less cost.

Companies need protection from each other to stop designs and inventions being ripped off.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

Samsung are going to have their arse handed to them over the Apple lawsuit, and not only are Apple going to be able to show that Samsung copies their designs, but that Samsung copies everyones design.

So forget the question of whether the icon has square or round edges, Samsung are going to be shown as a company that respects no one, let alone Apple.

What would be interesting is whether anyone else files a similar suit, especially Nokia, now that Apple have got started.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The first of apple lawsuits seems to go against apple :

HTC and Nokia score legal win against Apple

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2011/04/20/htc-nokia-score-legal-win-against-apple.htm

Lets hope apple puts a bit more effort into iOS 5 and the iphone 5 and not in inventing legal charges against its competitors.

Well, that would be a good story, except that you left out half the facts.

Nokia sued Apple first. They started a court case about patents, which takes ages and ages, and they started a separate action against Apple to stop Apple from importing iPhones into the USA. That second kind of action is one that is very rarely successful. The next step was that obviously Apple countersued Nokia for patent infringement, and Apple took the same separate action against Nokia to stop them from importing Nokia phones into the USA. Nokia's attempt to stop Apple from importing iPhones into the USA was rejected a few months ago, quite predictably, and Apple's attempt to stop Nokia from importing phones into the USA was rejected just now, equally predictable.

The real action there is the case of Nokia against Apple. Apple against Nokia is just an unimportant (to Apple) side show; equally unimportant are both parties' attempts to stop imports.

You dont design a phone in weeks

You don't design a phone in weeks, but it is quite easy to show something that looks quite similar to an iPhone only weeks after seeing an iPhone for the first time. Compare the times between the first model shown and the actual phone released: iPhone was shown in January, released in April. Samsung phone was shown in February, released in November. Nine months vs. three months. A very clear indication that Samsung's phone was nowhere near the level of completed development that the iPhone was.

Last edited:

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
This is the most stupidest thing Apple has ever done. NO ONE else can provide the flash, CPU and LCD's to apple at apples prices the way samsung can. Its why apple can price devices so low. I can almost say for certain that Sammy is already talking to likes of RIM, Motorola, microsoft and whoever. If Sammy finds customers to fill the void it can drop apple... and this will be the iceberg for which apple cannot recover. You can say goodbye to iPhone 5 and any more iPads.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
This is the most stupidest thing Apple has ever done. NO ONE else can provide the flash, CPU and LCD's to apple at apples prices the way samsung can. Its why apple can price devices so low. I can almost say for certain that Sammy is already talking to likes of RIM, Motorola, microsoft and whoever. If Sammy finds customers to fill the void it can drop apple... and this will be the iceberg for which apple cannot recover. You can say goodbye to iPhone 5 and any more iPads.

1238993754704.jpg

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere

You are absolutely correct, Apple is indeed very afraid of the competition.

They are deathly afraid of Android, for it they weren't, their legions of followers would not post the thousands of posts on this forum, bashing anything and everything about Android.

If Android was to go away tomorrow, they would go into shock, and be desperately seeking something else to take out their anger and issues on.

Never Happy, Apple is launching lawsuits left and right.

Fan-boys and Apple apologists are standing behind them with every excuse in the book, and at the end of the day they all relish the chaos.

Apple loves headlines, their users money, the power and control they have cultivated over the New York Times, and the legions of non thinking drones that worship Steve.

johnny5k

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Oakland, CA
Compare the phones with the trademarks, visually

I created a couple visual charts, comparing the iPhone with the Galaxy S and the F700 (as an example of what Samsung's phone looked like before the iPhone had any influence on design). Apple's trademarks are then broken out line by line to see how they hold up against both of Samsung's phones. Also reviewed are the iPad vs Tab and Samsung's UMPC before the iPad, the Q1; and packaging for all 6 devices. If you're interested in what Apple is suing for, this is a pretty good visual guide to why they think Samsung's devices/interface/packaging are infringing.

http://peanutbuttereggdirt.com/e/?p=218

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
What this story means to me is that Apple is actually CONCERNED and maybe a little AFRAID... For what? The iPad is magical. No one cares about a Toshiba HandiBook.

kdarling

macrumors P6
As I've pointed out before, I don't think the icons are a big deal. Least of all, that Phone icon... because Apple was simply following convention already set by others, in order to make the iPhone more familiar to new users.

1) Since at least 1974, a right-facing handset has been the official international symbol for a phone. On cell phones, it's often a left leaning one to better indicate "pickup".

2) Since the beginning of cell handsets, a green button has been used to indicate the Send or Pickup function. The combination into a left-leaning green handset has been used by HTC, Palm, and probably others, for years.

3) Rounded rectangles or squares to indicate onscreen buttons (which is what an icon is on a homescreen) is also as old as touchscreens (1980s).

=> So the morphing of the physical backlit green handset button into an onscreen green button with a white handset is pretty obvious. See pic below of a popular Windows Mobile Wisbar Advance dialer skin from back in 2004. Yes, 2004.

Attachments

• handsets.png
    handsets.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 69
  • dialerskin1.png
    dialerskin1.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 153

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51

I've played with the Xoom too and I agree with you. Recently I got my hands on the Incredible 2 and got to spend a lot of time with it. After playing with it, it's become obvious that all the critics in these forums have never touched an Android phone. My contract for the iPhone is up next month and I'm definitely getting the incredible. The OS with HTC Sense is what the iPhone IOS should have been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.