Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135824-bing_maps_ios.jpg

As noted by Business Insider, Microsoft earlier this week quietly introduced a new Bing Maps Control for iOS software development kit, making it easier for developers to integrate Bing maps directly into their applications.The Bing Maps iOS Control is an Objective-C control for embedding maps directly into native iOS apps. With a rich, gesture-based UI provided by Seadragon, the Bing Maps iOS Control provides support for adding pushpins and other overlays to the map, allows your device location to be displayed, and provides the ability to retrieve contextual information for a given map location.More details on the SDK, which Microsoft will help it eat into Google's dominance in maps integration on iOS, are available in a Microsoft blog post.

Article Link: Microsoft Pushing Bing Maps Integration for iOS Apps With New SDK

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Interesting that they're offering this for iOS. It seems they'd focus on integrating it into the Windows Phone platform first. Wonder if they'll also make it for Android....

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
I typically expect Microsoft to fail miserably at most things they do, and certainly WP7 has proven to be no exception. For once I sincerely hope that is not the case, because anything that might interfere with Google's attempts at world domination sound good to me. If someone uses it in their app, I would be interested in trying it out on my iPad. Hopefully it's not buggy.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
I typically expect Microsoft to fail miserably at most things they do, and certainly WP7 has proven to be no exception. For once I sincerely hope that is not the case, because anything that might interfere with Google's attempts at world domination sound good to me. If someone uses it in their app, I would be interested in trying it out on my iPad. Hopefully it's not buggy.

Very well said. An option to switch between the two on maps would be excellent! Birds Eye view on my iPad or iPhone, yes please!

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
It also appears that there is no restrictions on using this mapping SDK in a paid app, unlike Google which only allows you to use the Map SDK in iOS for free Apps unless you go through extra hoops/fees.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Hah, that's funny. The code sample pictured in this post is a direct clone of Apple's MapKit (Google Maps) sample, "MapCallouts."

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 5.14.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 5.14.58 PM.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 253

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Hah, that's funny. The code sample pictured in this post is a direct clone of Apple's MapKit (Google Maps) sample, "MapCallouts."

I'm sure that's the whole point: to demonstrate the same implementation can be carried out with their code.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
I think this will reduce customer satisfaction as there are 2 types of maps that users have to get used to now...

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010

Proven? :confused:
Reference to your proof please.
The phone OS has only been out for 6 months and you're already calling it a proven failure?
Sorry bud, but such statements are the trademark of a true fool. :rolleyes:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I can't imagine many developers taking advantage of this. Even with an SDK, when the options for Google and Bing are in front of you, most people will go with Google. I know I would.

If the license allows for free commercial redistribution and googles doesn't... I bet developers would use it.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I'll use whichever app is faster.

I notice bing tends to load more "crap" when using their map program. This might not seem like a big deal on a desktop but on a smartphone every bit counts.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It also appears that there is no restrictions on using this mapping SDK in a paid app, unlike Google which only allows you to use the Map SDK in iOS for free Apps unless you go through extra hoops/fees.

Oh there is a fee to use Bing maps in paid apps. It is not cheap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.