Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Started reading One Flew OVer the Cuckoo's Nest this morning. One of my favorite movies ever and never read the book.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Came upon Tim Sandlin through a free e-book offering of his novel Skipped Parts. Read my first e-book on my iPhone, then found Sandlin's two other novels that complete a trilogy based on the same characters.

The e-book was offered because, 15 years later, he wrote a sequel to the trilogy. My library added it to their bookshelf, and I just finished it last night. Very creative and straightforward storytelling.

About to start The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished Honor of the Queen, the second in the Honor Harrington futuristic scifi series. A story specifically about Harrington, a woman warrior and Officer of the Queen's Manticore Navy, dealing with not one but two intolerant religious/sexist civilizations, and ultimately about the competition between her world of Manticore and the Havenites. Lots of action, surprises, and story twists. Fingers crossed the next episode continues in the same manner- thumbs up!:)

This book is available online to read for free, no e-reader required.

TheHonorOfTheQueen.jpg

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
I just finished the book Night by Elie Weisel. The book really opens your eyes to what was going on in the Jewish concentration camps during WWII

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I just finished the book Night by Elie Weisel. The book really opens your eyes to what was going on in the Jewish concentration camps during WWII

Night was a great book
You might want to try One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I just finished the latest Michael Connelly book The Fifth Witness
He is my favorite author and I have read them all

Just started Killing Floor by Lee Child
Hoping his books will rival Connelly's

Gebtart

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Drylor The First Artifact by Ryan Tomasella. It is a fairly new fantasy book but sooooooo good. Here is what it is about (taken from amazon)

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus. It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail cell while deciding his destiny. As Von's memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only one who can protect Drylor-a world that abandoned him-from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet from annihilating the only world they have ever known. As Von's past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon realizes the only way he can end his brother's heartless massacres is to find him and kill him.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Call me desperate/loner/loser/what you will, but in today's age where people are talking more on Facebook/Twitter/text messaging, even when they are sitting right next to eachother, I find it rather scary that people are losing the ability to talk and communicate face to face..

So with that in mind, for the 15th time, I'm reading How to Win Friends and Influence People. The art of talking to and getting to know people is being lost in the social networking world, as everyone shifts from talking in person to talking online, which is something I started doing some 15 years ago. That's one of the reasons why Facebook and the like don't really appeal to me, plus there isn't anything I haven't used out of this book. That's why there are so many millions of copies of this book sold between 1937 and now.

BL.

How-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.jpg

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Skeleton Crew - Stephen King.

A book of short stories with some relating to the Dark Tower series that I am currently reading my way through.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Skeleton Crew - Stephen King.

A book of short stories with some relating to the Dark Tower series that I am currently reading my way through.

Skeleton Crew and Night Shift are some fine Stephen King reading.

I just finished reading The Short Victorious War- The 3rd in the Honor Harrington SciFi series. You can actually read it online at that link, but if you are just starting out, start at the beginning, On Basilisk Station. It's on a roll! I'll be starting soon Field of Dishonor (book 4) but in the mean time I decided to take a break from the tall sexy Sphinxian who will bust your gonads if necessary ;) and read The Stars My Destination. This from the 50's where some of the richest science fiction was produced.

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Finished Skeleton Crew and it was a good read, my favourite part being in the story Mrs Todd's Shortcut, where she come's back from a strange 'shortcut' with some-kind of weird animal clamped to the bonnet of her car by it's teeth......

Currently taking a diversion from SK and reading Fatherland by Robert Harris, an alternative history based on Germany winning the second world war.

After that I think I might check out The Stars my Destination, just followed the wiki link in Huntn's thread and it looks like a good read.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Right now I'm halfway through Stacy Schiff's biography of Cleopatra (Little, Brown & Co.). I got it at iBooks and am reading it on my iPad.

The last century or so BC is to me a fascinating period in Mediterranean history. All roads may then have led to Rome, but by sea there was also plenty of traffic to the storied Alexandria. So the history that envelops Cleopatra touches on the whole eastern end of the Mediterranean, with reference to the kings and armies of those client states, not just those of Rome and Egypt. The myths and movies about Cleopatra hardly begin to do justice to her or to the rich history of her time. I am really enjoying Schiff's book.

Next up for me: Tom Rachman's novel 'The Imperfectionists'.

Munyak

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Alternating between "HESI Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination" and "Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.