Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'd still like to see a comparison between two relatively contemporary phones, not a brand new phone against a 2010 model. Let's do the same testing when the new iPhone is available, then let the chips fall where they may.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I'd still like to see a comparison between two relatively contemporary phones, not a brand new phone against a 2010 model. Let's do the same testing when the new iPhone is available, then let the chips fall where they may.

Its true the next iphone is going to be a beast...or they will release something marginally better and hope people freak for it just like the white iphone 4.

ammcfc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Sorry mate, but I can compare only models which exists...not rumors
When iPhone5 will be reality, someone like you will ask me - Why do you compare brand new iPhone with six months old SGS2 ;)

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry mate, but I can compare only models which exists...not rumors
When iPhone5 will be reality, someone like you will ask me - Why do you compare brand new iPhone with six months old SGS2 ;)

I understand the difficulty of comparisons. It just shows how fast technology is changing.
We should convince all the manufacturers to release new phones in the same month. That'll fix it. :D

ammcfc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Yes :)))) Only once per year - for Christmas :))) It will be very fair commercial practice

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

For being an almost one year old phone, the iPhone 4 didn't do bad at all. Most tests were pretty close except the initial boot. I think this shows how much more optimized is iOS compared to Android, as it performs pretty much the same as the s2 with notably inferior hardware.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
this tells me the iPhone 4 is so great. a 1 year old iPhone can match the newly released phone.

pedobear must be loving it!

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
this tells me the iPhone 4 is so great. a 1 year old iPhone can match the newly released phone.

It doesn't compare the S2 has two 1.2 GHZ processors, 4.3 inch screen, 1gb of ram, 16gb internal memory, 8mp camera and records 1080p video and on and on. The only thing I would give to the iphone is more pixels per inch, simple OS appeals to a lot of people, itunes for movies, shows, and netflix. even though the retina screen is beautiful so is the S2's. Plus I am getting more than twice as fast upload download speeds on at&t's 3g.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

falconeight said:

It doesn't compare the S2 has two 1.2 GHZ processors, 4.3 inch screen, 1gb of ram, 16gb internal memory, 8mp camera and records 1080p video and on and on. The only thing I would give to the iphone is more pixels per inch, simple OS appeals to a lot of people, itunes for movies, shows, and netflix. even though the retina screen is beautiful so is the S2's. Plus I am getting more than twice as fast upload download speeds on at&t's 3g.

We all know that the S2 was better specs. However, performance wise, you can see they're very close, regardless of the specs

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

We all know that the S2 was better specs. However, performance wise, you can see they're very close, regardless of the specs

u r correct! it's not night and day like iphone 3g to iphome 3gs. i can't wait to see iphone 5 blows out all the competitors out of the water and the history repeats itself.

tekker

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011

oh... good point. he shouldve compared it with the white iphone 4... it wouldve made all the difference

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
...and yet i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything significant by not owning a SGS2. The iPhone still easily provides me with all the major functions i want in a smartphone plus more...despite it's age.

PS- Not that it matters to me but why compare and contrast a phone that is 10 months old with a phone just released last week/month...:confused:

Wouldn't a more valid comparison be the Galaxy S/Nexus S vs iPhone 4 or an SGS2 vs a Thunderbolt, Sensation, Atrix, LG Optimus 2X/Black etc.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

daneoni said:
:confused:

Why would you compare and contrast a phone that is 10 months old with a phone just released last week/month...?

...and no White iPhone 4 doesn't count :rolleyes: A more valid comparison is the Galaxy S vs iPhone 4

I don't know what people would have him do tbh. Unless Apple will let him slip the next gen iPhone out of the gate, all he has is the iPhone 4 to compare with for now.

People should see this as a positive thing anyway, the iPhone 4 does well enough against the SGSII considering the huge leap in hardware specs.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Fair enough. It just seems obvious what the outcome would be. But whatever, to each their own.

Also not a fan of the plastic. You just know what's gonna happen sooner or later e.g.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-24 at ? May 24 ? 9.43.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-24 at ? May 24 ? 9.43.00 PM.png
    371.5 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
iPhone 5 will be out maybe the same time the GS2 will be out in the US. The GS2 wont be out here til the 3rd quarter.

We will more than likely know be the end of the month as Samsung has an event then as well without any 1 carrier witch tells me that chances are pretty high that it is th G2 announcement and it will be one phone for each carrier like last time. It could be as soon as june july when they come out.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
We will more than likely know be the end of the month as Samsung has an event then as well without any 1 carrier witch tells me that chances are pretty high that it is th G2 announcement and it will be one phone for each carrier like last time. It could be as soon as june july when they come out.

It says on their Site that in the US it will be in Q3. Of all the countires, we are listed last. So yeah, July at the earliest. Im thinking more towards August and i hope it comes out for all of them...including T-Mobile. I honestly hope the buy out isnt approved. I dont want AT&T. Would rather keep T-Mobile, my cheaper rates and unlimited data.

BTW, for those saying that iP4 is close or right with it in that video...well first of all, not really but in that video, all your looking at is download speeds from a wi-fi connection. Sure the processor will help a little for that but the real speed is going to be when you are loading applications and games and such when you click on them within the phone and running other things like live wallppapers and such. The processor doesnt have much to do with the internet connection though it will help a little. There is an unboxing video i posted in the unlocked Galaxy S2 thread. That phone is really zippy and keep in mind it has nearly a whole inch bigger screen than the iP4 when loading those pages.

Im sure the iPhone 5 will be much improved and hopefully it has a bigger screen but with it coming out only once a year, Android is going to blow its doors off in the coming months as it has already imo surpassed it with Gingerbread.

Last edited:

Smoothness

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Nj
It says on their Site that in the US it will be in Q3. Of all the countires, we are listed last. So yeah, July at the earliest. Im thinking more towards August and i hope it comes out for all of them...including T-Mobile. I honestly hope the buy out isnt approved. I dont want AT&T. Would rather keep T-Mobile, my cheaper rates and unlimited data.

BTW, for those saying that iP4 is close or right with it in that video...well first of all, not really but in that video, all your looking at is download speeds from a wi-fi connection. Sure the processor will help a little for that but the real speed is going to be when you are loading applications and games and such when you click on them within the phone and running other things like live wallppapers and such. The processor doesnt have much to do with the internet connection though it will help a little. There is an unboxing video i posted in the unlocked Galaxy S2 thread. That phone is really zippy and keep in mind it has nearly a whole inch bigger screen than the iP4 when loading those pages.

Im sure the iPhone 5 will be much improved and hopefully it has a bigger screen but with it coming out only once a year, Android is going to blow its doors off in the coming months as it has already imo surpassed it with Gingerbread.

wow, earliest is July? I was hoping June.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
In 6months when the iphone5's been out for a while,other manufacturors,samsung,htc,etc,will be releasing there next generation of phones and so the cycle begins yet again!!!....never ending,the SGs2 and the HTC sensation are the best phones available at the moment though.....

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Well at least this thread has some relevance to the iPhone. I'm wondering of the Samsung was faster in part because of a larger (and therefore potentially better) antenna.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.