Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Hey guys, I basically have a automator do a bunch of stuff then execute a shell script to run a couple java programs I wrote. When I run the automation everything works, including executing my java files, however I get a run shell script error. Even though everything I wanted to happen...happened.

Here is my shell script...with just a change to the long folder

cd thedirectoryIwant
java NBAFileParser
java NBAWriteUSB

Thats it. Automator runs my java files, but then returns this error.

Run Shell Script failed - 1
(1)

Anyone of a clue, I would greatly appreciate it.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Bash returns the exit status of the last command executed, unless a syntax error occurs, in which case it exits with a non-zero value. I can't see a syntax error, assuming thedirectoryIwant is properly encoded if it contains exotic characters.

Is NBAWriteUSB calling System.exit(1) somewhere or raising an uncaught exception?

If you put exit 0 at the last line of your shell script, does it stop the error from appearing?

kiantech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Hey thanks for the suggestion, I didn't try that, however I was able to fix it by writing an applescript instead. At first I got a similar error, but after a little googling I was got a suggestion to just do a try statement, and in that statement I run my shell script.

on run
try
do shell script "/dir/ransmit.sh"
end try
end run

that worked, but next time I have a problem I will try your method too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.