Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Hey guys, just wondering, do you think the zaggmate is worth it for the ipad 2? I know I wouldn't bring it with me in the hospitals and clinics, but overall, do you think it's worth it? College students? I have a bluetooth apple keyboard I use with my MBP connected to my 24" ACD. I also have the incase book jacket for ipad 2 and I ordered the Enki Genius case with the promo special that should be coming in May. I just put on a BSE back skin today and it seems ok so far...just gotta let it dry. I know...TMI.:D

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Tried the Zaggmate for v1. Not bad, but it a) has a cramped netbook-ey style keyboard for big handed people and b) does leave the back of your pad exposed.

I already had a spare apple bt kb lying around, so I bought the incase origami workstation for ipad. Hold and protects the kb, and I leave it in my car: nearby if I need it, don't have to haul it everywhere if I don't.

I'm using a smart cover/ghost armor on all surfaces/targus leather tote bag combo for the ipad itself:

a. smart cover. overpriced, but you'll get used to the instant on and off pretty darned quick. will make hitting the button to swipe seem laborious in short order.

b. ghost armor. like the protection, and it doesn't have the stickiness or tackiness of zagg. can't really tell it's there...unless your ebay TPU shell starts to peel it off of the screen.

c. targus tote (for ipad1): holds pad'2 and smart cover nicely, magnetic latch, and less than $20 at best buy-almost free in apple accessory terms!

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Hey guys, just wondering, do you think the zaggmate is worth it for the ipad 2? I know I wouldn't bring it with me in the hospitals and clinics, but overall, do you think it's worth it? College students? I have a bluetooth apple keyboard I use with my MBP connected to my 24" ACD. I also have the incase book jacket for ipad 2 and I ordered the Enki Genius case with the promo special that should be coming in May. I just put on a BSE back skin today and it seems ok so far...just gotta let it dry. I know...TMI.:D

I too am considering the Zaggmate 2 or the Apple Keyboard with the Incase Origami case. I already have a BSE screen protector for the back of my iPad so protecting the back is not an issue. I guess I can wait until Best Buy get's one so I can try it out and return if I don't like.

sparkles61785

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I'm typing on my Zaggmate for iPad 2 right now. It's amazing! :D It does not protect the back of my iPad, but I have a Zagg skin for that. The zaggmate + Ipad 2 combination also fits inside of my Targus slipcase pretty nicely. The keys are small and take some getting used to. However, it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

I can't believe that I went over a month without the Zaggmate. If you're any kind of a writer, or if you need to type periodically throughout the day, the Zaggmate is a must have.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I'm typing on my Zaggmate for iPad 2 right now. It's amazing! :D It does not protect the back of my iPad, but I have a Zagg skin for that. The zaggmate + Ipad 2 combination also fits inside of my Targus slipcase pretty nicely. The keys are small and take some getting used to. However, it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

I can't believe that I went over a month without the Zaggmate. If you're any kind of a writer, or if you need to type periodically throughout the day, the Zaggmate is a must have.

Respectfully, I disagree. The Zagg is not a bad keyboard, but the apple bt is a better one. Then again, I have big hands, and for me typing more than a few sentences on the Zagg was too awkward. Typing on the Apple is a luxury compared to the Zagg. Even with a skin, the zagg will protect against scratches on the back, and nothing more.

That said, I could see how the design and features of the Zagg could and would appeal to a whole lot of people.

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I just received my Zaggmate for iPad 2, and really like it. I returned my Apple BT keyboard last week because, while I loved it, it just was too bulky for travel once I got it in a case. The Zaggmate does feel a bit 'netbook-y', but I love that it is also a smart cover, has dedicated buttons for the iPad functions, and that it fits perfectly in my Incase neoprene sleeve for the iPad 2. Plus, I'll never need batteries!

This is my travel solution going forward. My laptop can stay home!

PS: Typed on my new Zaggmate!

Last edited:

ethics101

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Nobody needs a keyboard always. That's why I got the Apple Keyboard and take it along when I need it. Zagg feels too big and bulky.

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
The Apple BT keyboard is definitely bulkier and more of a pain to travel with.

I don't always carry my keyboard with me. I like the Zagg because it is compact and easy to travel with. Makes it easy to leave my laptop at home.

I'm confused. I thought that the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard was much larger than the Zaggmate...

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
The Apple BT keyboard is definitely bulkier and more of a pain to travel with.
Calling the Apple BT 'bulkier' is an exaggeration.

Its 10 ounces. I think its well worth to be able to have the option to take it with you or not.

I use a WaterField iPad Wallet with a shoulder strap and carry the iPad (with SmartCover) and Apple BT keyboard together. I also carry the charger and VGA adapter in the same case. Extremely easy to travel with and much easier than carrying a laptop.

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
The Apple BT keyboard are both great options, it just comes down to personal preference.

Hubert Brutal

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
YES... It is a great purchase IMO. Almost ditched my macbook after I got it. Still a steep price-tag, though.

I have 2 concerns about it though: The stand seems flimsy on the Zagg keyboard case and the foam around the edges that keep the iPad snug seems like it could deteriorate over time.

These are just concerns as everything about the case is just pure awesome for the 2 weeks I've had it.

volks88

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Just picked one of these up at Best Buy yesterday. All I can say is this thing is awesome. Its great for travel. I use this now instead of my laptop. I have a carbon skin to protect the back and a screen protector from ebay to protect the front and a stylus from targus. Now I need a good carrying bag and I will be complete for accessories for my iPad 2.

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Just picked one of these up at Best Buy yesterday. All I can say is this thing is awesome. Its great for travel. I use this now instead of my laptop. I have a carbon skin to protect the back and a screen protector from ebay to protect the front and a stylus from targus. Now I need a good carrying bag and I will be complete for accessories for my iPad 2.

My girlfriend just bought me a Zaggmate 2 as a surprise gift and I agree it's awesome. I was also deciding between this and the Apple keyboard. One problem I'm having is when putting this cover on it lifts up the corner of my BSE screen protector for the back. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. Any suggestions?

volks88

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
My girlfriend just bought me a Zaggmate 2 as a surprise gift and I agree it's awesome. I was also deciding between this and the Apple keyboard. One problem I'm having is when putting this cover on it lifts up the corner of my BSE screen protector for the back. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. Any suggestions?

I would suggest getting a carbon skin. It sticks a whole lot better than a BSE and i have no problems with it coming off.

volks88

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 188
  • ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 166

volks88

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Nice setup! I think you can really ditch the MacBook for it. O btw, do you need a protection film for the zaggmate's back like the zagg suggests?

It comes with four plastic stickons for each corner so you can lay the keyboard on the surface to prevent scratches. But yeah u should have some type of protection. It seems it would scratch easily.

EARL97850

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009
volks88 that looks really good...mind if I do a little copy cat type stuff when I get my set up? :D

Cya

White/Rhino

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Zaggmate

I've had mine now for about a week. There is a lot to like about this keyboard/Case. It provides a solid amount of protection and the Ipad is very secure when installed. It is very easy to get your Ipad in and out of the case. It's super light weight and looks great on your Ipad. Lastly the Blue Keyboard installs and works like a dream.

I would have liked the ability to use the case with the Ipad facing up. Also the ability to adjust the viewing angel of your Ipad instead of just the one setting would have been really nice. I expect they might address these issues in the next version. We might even see built in speakers which really would compete this awesome little package.

Attachments

• DSC_1194.JPG
    DSC_1194.JPG
    782.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_1199.JPG
    DSC_1199.JPG
    644 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_1200.JPG
    DSC_1200.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_1209.JPG
    DSC_1209.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_1215.JPG
    DSC_1215.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.