Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xchaotic

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Can anyone tell me which 2x 4GB sticks should I order and where given that I want to buy in UK and have it delivered in mainland EU? Ebay? Which seller?

edifyingGerbil

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
CAS is the access time. The Kingston (KHX1600C9S3K2/8G) or Patriot will be fine, they benchmark the same. I wouldn't recommend the UK company I bought the RAM from, but LambdaTek stock it also although incorrectly it states 240pin (its 204pin): http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=2172333

XMP is Intel eXtreme Memory Profile - I believe it means the speed can be switched via the BIOS which we don't have access to on the MBP.

Which company did you buy it from?

I just purchased the KHX1600C9S3K2/8G from this company:

http://store.cbccomputers.com/products.asp?partno=KHX1600C9S3K2%2F8G

They're the cheapest I found and you get free shipping until 30th of April. I got it with me but I need to take it into the Apple Store to have it installed so I can't benchmark it, alas.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
intel sandy bridge chipset says 1600 mhz support in the specifications. this is nothing new. 1600 mhz so-dimms were not available back in january when the mbp was refreshed however, i know because i checked newegg and other online retailers the same day the new mbp was released and no 1600 mhz so-dimms were available anywhere. now they are. i suspect we'll see the mbp ship with 1600 mhz memory when it gets a slight refresh towards the end of the year.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
:confused:
im confused, what models do work i know how to install RAM what RAM frequencies are but not much of an expert in the brand names (XMP etc).

XMP means Extreme Memory Profile. It's a feature built into Intel Core i CPUs.
IF the RAM has an XMP entry in its header, the CPU's on-board memory controller reads the header and sets the memory speed accordingly. It's usually the higher spec'd oveclockable RAM that is XMP enabled. At 1666MHz, the RAM is being overclocked, but within defined parameters. Also, the RAM voltage is adjusted for stability at the higher speed.

ecstacy2012

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Can anyone please tell me another brand that works?? I looked everywhere for the kingston but everywhere sold out. will this work??>Patriot PSD38G1600SK Signature DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz

or can someone tell me another brand and/or where it's in stock would be much appreciated!!

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
The Patriot should work. I have their 1333Mhz stuff and works great (as per their website the 1333Mhz is Apple certified, whatever that means as I don't think they have submitted it to Apple for testing).

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Just to reiterate as so many people are spec crazy and have unrealistic expectations:

Quote:

Conclusions
Even before we consider the results of our performance testing, it's interesting to note that Sandy Bridge makes higher-speed memory more and less appealing. On one hand, the unlocked memory multiplier present in K-series CPUs makes setting a higher memory frequency almost as trivial as changing any other BIOS setting. At the same time, the fact that base-clock overclocking is essentially a dead end for Sandy Bridge CPUs means that faster memory isn't required to keep up with higher base clock frequencies. The only reason to buy faster memory for a Sandy Bridge rig is if it's going to improve performance.

So, is it?

That depends. If you're running memory benchmarks all day long, then yes, faster memory will improve bandwidth and access latencies substantially. In fact, Sandy Bridge CPUs extract more performance from the same memory configuration than their Lynnfield- and Clarkdale-based counterparts. However, as we learned when exploring the affect of memory speed on the performance of Intel's first Core i7 processors, finding games and applications that make effective use of the extra memory bandwidth and faster access latencies can be difficult.

Among the tests we ran, only the Euler3d fluid dynamics simulation enjoyed a substantial benefit from faster memory configurations. Video encoding and file compression ran a little bit quicker with higher memory frequencies and tighter timings, but most of our application tests showed little or no improvement in performance. Neither did the games, which only managed to squeeze a few extra FPS out of our fastest memory configuration.

Although there are certainly cases where pairing Sandy Bridge processors with low-latency or high-frequency memory can yield impressive gains, it's hard to find a common desktop application or game whose performance improves enough to justify the additional expense. If you're looking to set benchmarking records or to compensate for personal shortcomings, K-series Sandy Bridge CPUs at least make it easy to run exotic DIMMs at blistering speeds. Everyone else can rest assured that using relatively inexpensive DDR3-1333 memory won't cost them much performance in the real world.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20377/4

ngletu

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
can any body help me??
I wonder will those memory fit my MBP 13" 2011? and in addition, I live in New Zealand, where can i buy this?
Thank you for any advice!!!

loserpro2

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
Hi all,

I will be purchasing my macbook pro 15" early 2011 version as stated here with the sandy bridge 2.3mhz cpu soon, and want to do a RAM upgrade myself. I read, as with this thread the Kingston Hyper X 8gb model serial KHX1600C9S3K2/8G proved to work, but everywhere I look on the internet, the stock for this ram module seems to have run out. are there places that still have it and are willing to ship international? I am stationed at australia and newegg doesn't seem to ship international and they have no stock on the mentioned model as well.

also, kingston released a replacement module i presume? which is the kingston KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G. I'm not exactly sure if this will bolt up just as smooth as the older module, but it seems like this module is in limited stock as well and I can't find this module in many places. so I was wondering if anyone knew places that have good rep and are still selling either the kingston KHX1600C9S3K2/8G or KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G model and are willing to ship international.

many many thanks. ><"

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks to this thread ;) Memory is finally back in stock at Newegg, managed to snag some, for $10 more though :D

m4rk0

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
guys fyi the kingston ram KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G works flawlessly as the KHX1600C9S3K2/8G does, it seems kingston just replaced the heat spreader in favor of a less obtrusive one, maybe to facilitate the installation; ram chips have exactly the same spd timings.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.