Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diesel-Benz

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
No. TB is slower than even AGP. At best, you would get the performance of a PCI video card.

postjack

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Pretty excited about the possibilities here. I admittedly don't know too much about how the technology works, but if thunderbolt truly allows you to run an external graphics card, it could be Apple's compromise to the small PC gaming market. In other words, people like me who want OSX but can't give up playing Fallout and Elder Scrolls. :)

thogin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Supposedly it will be out sometime this Summer. Very very cool. Just hope it's not too expensive.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
What about on the OS side though? Will OSX recognize the graphics card and make use of it?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thunderbolt is still MUCH slower than PCIe so I wouldn't wish for an AMD 6990.

TB = 10Gb/s
PCIe 2.0 x8 = 32Gb/s
PCIe 2.0 x16 = 64Gb/s

Might be fine for lower-end graphics but not for the most powerful cards. Plus, there is no word on how it will work anyway. Sonnet doesn't say anything about support for graphics card. With Mac Pros, you have to flash PC GPUs in order to make them work so it is unlikely that you could just pop in any card you like and it would work.

TechnoDestructo

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Its not possible. TB has a maximum data rate (in perfect conditions) of 1GB/sec, AGP 4x has 1.06GB/sec. So no matter what video card you use it will be very weak by modern standards.

In other words, the Mini's integrated GPU is more powerful than anything you could put though a TB port, so you might as well just connect the display directly to the TB port!

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Thunderbolt is still MUCH slower than PCIe so I wouldn't wish for an AMD 6990.

TB = 10Gb/s
PCIe 2.0 x8 = 32Gb/s
PCIe 2.0 x16 = 64Gb/s

Might be fine for lower-end graphics but not for the most powerful cards.

I wouldn't expect many Mini users to opt for a high-end graphics card though. Question is, will any upgrade you can achieve through this that much better than the IGP to justify the cost? Mini + external GPU might not be that much cheaper than a low-end iMac.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
yeah it is interesting to see what comes of this. for a killer fast external boot drive and a decent gpu add-on it may be just too much cash. I like the idea of a cpu in a box (ie 2011 macmini) want more power storage just add on via t-bolt.

Time will tell IF it will work.

natethomas1

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Its not possible. TB has a maximum data rate (in perfect conditions) of 1GB/sec, AGP 4x has 1.06GB/sec. So no matter what video card you use it will be very weak by modern standards.

In other words, the Mini's integrated GPU is more powerful than anything you could put though a TB port, so you might as well just connect the display directly to the TB port!

Pretty much every other quote I've read says 10gb/sec, not 1. And this article at least http://www.huliq.com/10177/intels-thunderbolt-port-makes-external-graphics-cards-feasible suggests that most x16 PCIe graphic cards using about 4gb to 7gb/sec, which is within the usable range.

Here's a second article on the same point. http://appleheadlines.com/2011/02/2...derbolt”-can-help-your-future-mac-experience/

Edit: Ah, I just suddenly realized you said GB rather than Gb. My reading says that you are basically correct, though the GB number is 1.25. As PCIe 1.x supports 250MB/sec per lane, at 16x lanes, that'd be 4GByte/sec up and down, which is nearly 4 times faster than Thunderbolt at 10Gbit/sec.

That's assuming I'm reading everything correctly and no authors are playing fast and loose with the byte/bit distinction.

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The articles you've been reading talk about giga bits. We are talking about giga bytes.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH

TB actually has a peak data rate of 1.25GB/sec

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Pretty much every other quote I've read says 10gb/sec, not 1. And this article at least http://www.huliq.com/10177/intels-thunderbolt-port-makes-external-graphics-cards-feasible suggests that most x16 PCIe graphic cards using about 4gb to 7gb/sec, which is within the usable range.

Here's a second article on the same point. http://appleheadlines.com/2011/02/2...derbolt”-can-help-your-future-mac-experience/

Edit: Ah, I just suddenly realized you said GB rather than Gb. My reading says that you are basically correct, though the GB number is 1.25. As PCIe 1.x supports 250MB/sec per lane, at 16x lanes, that'd be 4GByte/sec up and down, which is nearly 4 times faster than Thunderbolt at 10Gbit/sec.

That's assuming I'm reading everything correctly and no authors are playing fast and loose with the byte/bit distinction.

That article is pure crap. It says TB can provide more than PCIe x16, which is nothing else but false.

Thunderbolt = 10Gb/s
PCIe 2.0 x16 = 64Gb/s

They are probably mixing the bits and bytes too when they say 4-7Gb/s is what most PCIe buses provide. PCIe 2.0 x1 provides 4Gb/s alone. Their usage of the word PCI instead of PCIe doesn't make it sound more credible either.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
thanks for all the replys. Even being able to support a low end card might provide some hope for other mini users feeling the pain from the minis graphics card.

Will be watching closely to see how this unfolds if they ever upgrade the mini:eek:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Pipe dreams. The cost of a Mini plus an external dedicated graphics card won't make any sense and it will never happen. Just get an Imac.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Pipe dreams. The cost of a Mini plus an external dedicated graphics card won't make any sense and it will never happen. Just get an Imac.

for people who want to choose the monitor of their choice, and dont have 2k for a mac pro, i think it makes perfect sense.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
for people who want to choose the monitor of their choice, and dont have 2k for a mac pro, i think it makes perfect sense.

Well for some of those people it'd make perfect sense if Apple released matte iMac BTO's. I'm not really one of them and there's plenty of threads about it but I still find it silly. Ofcourse others may have still other needs for their monitor. In which case it'd make perfect sense if there was a bit more of a decent graphics solution in the mini. Perhaps as a BTO. But Apple probably won't put a SB CPU and a dedicated GPU in a Mini.

In the end you're right, customer side it would make sense to do just what you propose. It'd suck though, to have your graphics power limited by the connection it uses while there's better technology out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.