Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Nobody tried it yet???

carboncover5.jpg

brooka

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
Just posted this in the other topic about this cover...

DO NOT GET THIS CASE.......

I got this case delivered the other week and returned it straight away.

Everything was amazing about it, the look, the feel, the on off feature..

BUT

Try and fold the cover into the triangle and stand itinerary portrait mode. Fat chance. It worked about 20% of the time. The other 80% it collapsed from the weight of the case and iPad2.

If you go on ION's Facebook page they say to carefully make sure that the fold is positioned right when in portrait mode. Why the hell would I want to carefully place the cover every single time I want to put it into portrait mode???? I want to use it like the smart cover from apple.... It just works... No thought process, just fold it up and it stands.

Anyway I got a full refund after 6 emails back and forth from them.
If they fix this issue, this would of been the best case yet for iPad 2.

Sorry guys! Hope this helps.

LanikaiGirl

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
I just received mine today. The person who keeps posting about 'portrait' mode has said the same thing about other cases. I think they mean landscape mode. And in landscape mode, this thing is great. I also have no problems with the magnet when folded back. My only issue is that the cover has a couple of shallow divets in it where it looks like something may have sat on it during shipping. I fully expect those to come out. I REALLY like how it looks with my white iPad too. So now I have this case, a Maroo case, STM skinny, YooBao v2, and a smart cover in cream. I think I am done. :D

Last edited:

fastangel

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
curious

So now I have this case, a Maroo case, STM skinny, YooBao v2, and a smart cover in cream. I think I am done. :D

Which one is your favorite out of all these cases you have?

Also, how does the ion-factory carbon case feel when folded to the back and held in "portrait mode" and I mean "portrait mode" in the correct sense, not like that poster you also mentioned who is just confusing people.

thanks!

LanikaiGirl

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
I think I am liking this one best. I liked my original cream leather smart cover, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean and I didn't like the other colors. I gave the YooBao to a friend to use. I liked how it felt, but I HATE having the bezel covered at all. I returned the STM skinny. I found the green color to be somewhat blah. I am also not a fan of the tuck in tab. I loved how light it was. I am keeping the Maroo, because I think it is perfect for travel. It will really protect the iPad. I also like that it has the skull on it. I am a 40 something suburbanite female. It is my little tongue in cheek rebellion. :D
For everyday use, I will be using the Ion Factory. It is light, beautiful, and comfortable to hold in portrait mode. It looks so elegant with the white iPad.

brooka

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
I just received mine today. The person who keeps posting about 'portrait' mode has said the same thing about other cases. I think they mean landscape mode. And in landscape mode, this thing is great. I also have no problems with the magnet when folded back. My only issue is that the cover has a couple of shallow divets in it where it looks like something may have sat on it during shipping. I fully expect those to come out. I REALLY like how it looks with my white iPad too. So now I have this case, a Maroo case, STM skinny, YooBao v2, and a smart cover in cream. I think I am done.

Hey
MY COMPLETE MISTAKE......I meant landscape mode....not sure why my mind kept thinking portrait mode.

Look I've done some major research on a lot of other forums and I'm not the only one who had this problem with the ipad2 case just collapsing when in LANDSCAPE mode. There were actually many people who did.
ION did post on their facebook that you need to CAREFULLY put it in place.
Just that alone means it's a delicate fold that needs support from you to make sure that it will stand up.

Even when I was careful it still fell over. I'm not just making this up to confuse people. Go search on other forums about it and check it out for your self if you want.
On top of that the viewing angle in landscape mode was really far back. So if your in bed and wanting to watch a movie or something. putting the case on a table just seemed stupid. Like you want to sit up just to get a better angle.

Thats why I returned it. Other then those two issues the case was AMAZING...

fastangel

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
still confused

Hey
MY COMPLETE MISTAKE......I meant landscape mode....not sure why my mind kept thinking portrait mode.

Look I've done some major research on a lot of other forums and I'm not the only one who had this problem with the ipad2 case just collapsing when in LANDSCAPE mode. There were actually many people who did.
ION did post on their facebook that you need to CAREFULLY put it in place.
Just that alone means it's a delicate fold that needs support from you to make sure that it will stand up.

Even when I was careful it still fell over. I'm not just making this up to confuse people. Go search on other forums about it and check it out for your self if you want.
On top of that the viewing angle in landscape mode was really far back. So if your in bed and wanting to watch a movie or something. putting the case on a table just seemed stupid. Like you want to sit up just to get a better angle.

Thats why I returned it. Other then those two issues the case was AMAZING...

You know, I still don't think "landscape mode" is really the right phrase you're looking for. I don't think it's a matter of portrait/landscape because that's about whether the longer side or shorter side of the iPad is up. Don't you mean more like "typing mode" (near-flat angle) and... the other much steeper angle which I'm not sure what to call ("standing mode"?)?

LanikaiGirl

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Brooka, I don't doubt your experience, it has just not been mine. I find it very solid when I set it up in typing and standing mode. You just have to make sure the outer edge is tucked in to the crease. If you watch the YouTube video, you'll better get what I mean.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Just posted this in the other topic about this cover...
DO NOT GET THIS CASE......
I got this case delivered the other week and returned it straight away.
Everything was amazing about it, the look, the feel, the on off feature..
BUT
Try and fold the cover into the triangle and stand itinerary portrait mode. Fat chance. It worked about 20% of the time. The other 80% it collapsed from the weight of the case and iPad2.
Sorry guys! Hope this helps.

so you guys are just now figuring out that the "smart cover" is a terrible design for a stand?

fastangel

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
Solution found

Here is another video review I found which actually talks about the issue of the standing LANDSCAPE postion.....this is the exact problem I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIq-XeHfOoE

The same Youtube reviewer has now found a solution to the issue and now having the iPad stand upright is no problem with this case! See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEGGpDKIRJw&feature=player_detailpage

Brooka, looks like you returned your CarbonCover too soon...

brooka

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
Yeah I've seen that one as well

Still not convinced though. I mean if it stood like that and thats the fix for it then thats what should be pictured on their website. Not the triangle how the guy in the video was first trying to do it with.

But yeah even with this fix the angle for viewing movies on is stupidly far back....but hey thats just me :p

Anyway, nice fix for what it is. seems to do the job but yeah wish there wouldn't have to be a fix in the first place.

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
First I've ever heard of this particular iPad case. I like the looks of it, nice design. I agree does seem a bit pricey though.

fastangel

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
CarbonCover has THAT problem

I have the CarbonCover case and here is my take:

Positives: 1) Good looking, 2) light-weight, 3)covers/protects iPad well

Negatives:

1) It IS true, this case has some difficulty standing up. Some days it has no problem staying in standing mode, some days it just refuses to stand. Apparently it has to do with the tightness of the "leather". So, it is definitely UNRELIABLE.

2) The magnetic switch (auto on/off) works, it doesn't turn it off when folded all the way to the back like some other covers. BUT, like most/all ultra-slim iPad 2 cases, the CarbonCover's magnet WILL switch on and off your iPad 2 when the front cover is made to slide even if just a little. You pick the iPad up, and you hear the switch click. You walk with the iPad in your hand, you hear the iPad turning on and off. You put down your iPad on the table, and you hear the click. It's pretty bad.

Like most other ulta-slim iPad 2 magnetic cases. Those manufacturers haven't figured out how to implement this magnetic switch feature. Consumers need to really let them know that they need to design their cases so that the front cover DOES NOT SLIDE AT ALL WHEN SHUT, like Apple's Smart Cover. That's the only way to avoid the accidental switch on/off problem. Until then, it's really not a good idea to buy ANY of the ultra-slim magnetic cases for the iPad 2 at this time. Personally I've now come to the conclusion that I need to get the SmartCover if I wanted the magnetic switch in a light-weight case (i.e. Smart Cover + back cover).

So, as much as I liked the CarbonCover (the look and feel), I'm returning it.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Decided to get the CC over the JOY FACTORY SmartSuit2 case.

Poco Maru site will ship tax and shipping free, so only $69.99.

SS does look good, but the wider open area around speaker and connector is a minus IMHO. With shipping, the price is only $1.60 less then CC, so it was not much difference there.

PS, Ion CC pays MacRumor for advertising, so in a way I support MacRumors! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.